anyone here try the new Destination LE2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2wd tundra double cab with LS rear.

It currently has:
1 new yokohama geolander
1 mid-life yoko geolander
2 sad wrangler RT/s- worn on the outsides, half-tread on insides

complaints:
- all four seem out of balance above 50
- the yoko's are both on the front and are vague. I've seen this with other geolanders on friend's cars
- goodyears are crummy when wet, yoko's seem pretty good
- yoko's are growling, probably from lack of rotation

I just bought the truck and have put $1k+ into timing belt and driveline fluids. Another $800 for tires is doable--- but--- i'm having a hard time with it.

But I'm doing my research now anyway.

I've had two sets of the old destination LE's with mixed results. 1st set was outstanding. 2nd set was not round and got replaced entirely. replacement was better but still shakes a bit on the hwy. It's a QC issue more than a compound/design issue. They otherwise ride and perform like the LTX M/S2s that they replaced.

Truck will likely see some dirt use, but not much. I'm not lifting it. I want to preserve mpg (no lift, upsizing, etc), so my favorite Revo 2's are out of the equation. M/S2s are too darn expensive, and I like the firestone dealer down the road-- always competitive pricing and they treat me well.

So I noticed the new Dest. LE2s. great price, looks like a good design.... no data on them out there. Has anyone tried them?

thanks!
mike

I recommended the Destination LEs to my-coworker, who had them on his '06 Tundra (he traded it, and I initially thought you might have bought it based on the description of yours). The LEs on that truck were smooth and quiet, and were a good value.

I have not tried the LE2s, but I got a good look at one yesterday at a Firestone dealer, and must say I don't like what they've done with it. It reminds me a lot of the Goodyear Tracker 2. It has a lot of "ramped" tread blocks which means that many of the voids will close off as the tread wears. I think I'd prefer the first version.

hokie,

yes, the revo 2's I had were like that as well. the gaps close up as they wear, and the tire changes. Rain traction started to decrease approaching 20,000 miles. I didn't see that with the LE2.

I'm a little nervous about another set of LEs after my last experience. I wonder if they moved production elsewhere. As I said, first set was great. 2nd set had two with "walking tread" off the rack, and the replacement set are still not perfect. I don't think I'll do another.

The QC may be higher with Bridgestone. I have never had a single problem with a bridgestone tire. May just wait a bit and see. I'm still debating a rebalance of what I have now to see if I can get some more life out of them.

m

I'd get the old ones if I could. They had nice open tread blocks and full-depth sipes. The new one appears to be catering to a crossover SUV crowd with its tread design, and performance will change as the tire wears. The new ones also don't have open tread shoulders.

They don't look all that great to me, but maybe they'd surprise me.

what geolanders? thats like saying goodyear wranglers(9 designs)

in any event I would just go for the michelin ltx ms/2 If you want a highway style tire

if you want an all terrain tire

the firestone destination AT or goodyear silentarmor are both excellent tires.

you dont list a year or tire size so I didnt attempt to find out what all tires are available.

I just got a set of BFG Rugged Terrains (not rugged trails) for my 150- they look, price and spec out well. I get them mounted tomorrow- but they seem like agood all around aggressive all-season/mild all terrain. I have seen quite a few tires billed as All-terrain that were less aggressive. I have had good experiences with BFG, so to me they were a good choice. Might be worth a look.

Have you considered Cooper tires? They make a decent truck tire that is reasonably priced and also a quiet tire. Good traction too. I have never been a big Firestone guy (except for the A/Ts which are great.)

I had a set of the earlier first generation LE's. They were the first Firestones I have ever owned. They did OK but got noisy and the ride quality went downhill pretty quick after I put about 35K on them. The tires cost about $500.00 mounted, balanced out the door yet they only lasted me a little over 2 years. I don't know if I would like the new style of LE's.

After the LE's I put a set of P235/75 R15 BFG Long Trail T/A Tours on my truck last February and they have turned out to be the best tires I have ever had. Super quiet, great traction on hot dry roads and also great traction in the heavy rain we get here in Florida in the summer. I have put about 15K on these BFG's and so far they have hardly any noticeable tread loss, seem to be wearing like iron so far. The ride quality is outstanding, nice and firm, not too soft or hard and I keep them at 37 psi.

I got my BFG's at Tire Kingdom, I went on their website and printed out their coopin for $40.00 off a set of 4 new tires. Total price mounted, balanced and out the door was about $480.00. The Destination LE was also in the same price range when I got my BFG's. I know you said you like the local Firestone shop but maybe if you have a Tire Kingdom or other BFG shop locally you could find a good price there. Maybe your Firestone shop could order you a set of Long Trails if you like them. I know I will go back with another set of Long Trails if/when I wear out my current set.

good point on the LE2. it's also nice to see some good press on the long trail T/As.

I prefer all-terrains in general, but I don't want to eat the mpg loss that come with them. I'd love another set of revo's but the mpg penalty is nasty with those (2mpg). In all truthfulness, the truck is too big to trail, and the back is so light that w/o 4wd it's just not going to go anywhere interesting. While the thought of a hwy tire is still a bit hard to swallow, I know that's really where I need to go.

there is a decent looking hwy tire from continental that rates = to the LTX M/S on tirerack. might consider ordering those.

it's a 265-70-16.

The Continental CrossContact LX20? It looks to be a fantastic tire. Consumer Reports rated it nearly equal to the Michelin LTX M/S2.

My co-worker upsized his Tundra from 245/70R16 to 265/70R16. Made a nice difference in the look of the truck.

I put a set of the Firestone Destination LE2s on a short wheelbase 2WD Ford Ranger just a week ago. They are awesome for a pure all-weather street tire! I only have ~300 miles on them, but they are silent and have a very compliant ride similar to the Michelin LTX M/S (original version) tire. Wet & dry on-pavement traction is excellent, but I have not tried it off-road. About 1000 times better than the OEM Continental ContiTrac tires which would lose traction with just a slight sprinkle on the road. The ContiTracs also rode and wore as if they were made of concrete. Never been a fan of the Firestone brand, but the LE2s appear to be a winner!

Last edited:
Thanks Nukeman--

Hokie, yes that continental gets great ratings. I spent some time reading reviews however and there were quite a few cases of them being out of round or unable to balance. sigh. i can't do that if I'm having them mailed in.

So I think I'll do either the LE's or the LE2's. Either one gives a decent tire for the money. The LE's have certainly been good for us.

thank you for thoughts and suggestions--
m

Originally Posted By: meep
Thanks Nukeman--

Hokie, yes that continental gets great ratings. I spent some time reading reviews however and there were quite a few cases of them being out of round or unable to balance. sigh. i can't do that if I'm having them mailed in.

So I think I'll do either the LE's or the LE2's. Either one gives a decent tire for the money. The LE's have certainly been good for us.

thank you for thoughts and suggestions--

m

If you decide to go back to the original LE's instead of the new LE2's, Firestone has a coupon for $75 discount thru July 31st:

Destination LE $75 Coupon

My local Firestone store also price matched the cost from an online store plus shipping.

I thought about it, decided to stay with LE2's. Found out the LE2 is 15% less rolling resistance than the original LE. plus discovered they are on sale right now $30 off each from $180. they cut me one heck of a deal on the add-ons... alignment, lifetime rotate/balance, etc, and basically the $1200 full package came in at $850. These guys want to sell some tires. Happy! It's the best deal I've ever gotten!

M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back