is there 5w-30 equivalent of Toyota 0w-20 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Equivalent? How? In synthetic quality?

No idea what you're asking for. One is 0W-20 the other is 5W-30, so its a thicker oil.

What do you mean equivalent? There is a high VI crowd on here that totes the benefits of higher VI's and "lighter" base stocks but there are downsides and other frictional forces that have to be mitigated.

This would be my guess:

http://www.sustina.us/

As it comes in 0w-20 and is similar to the Toyota but also has a 5-30 in that line I don't know much about. Probably too expensive if I could even find it (though I don't try hard and wouldn't order online).

You mean a high-quality synthetic with Infineum trinuclear moly but 5W-30 instead of 0W-20.
wink.gif

If I needed a high-quality synthetic 5W-30 with trinuclear moly, I would pick Mobil 1 5W-30 SN. Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30 SN and Mobil 1 Extra Performance 5W-30 SN are also good choices, but since 5W-30 also satisfies dexos1, you probably get lower NOACK volatility with 5W-30 than with 0W-30, and there is no need for the extra detergents of Mobil 1 Extra Performance (which give a higher initial TBN for longer OCIs) unless you plan long OCIs, as extra detergents increase the friction and decrease the fuel economy slightly and might also increase the wear slightly.

Mobil 1 doesn't have the ultra-high viscosity index of Toyota 0W-20 but they are otherwise both very good oils. With respect to base oils, it's unknown whether Mobil 1 or Toyota has higher-quality base oils.

If I had to pick a 0W-20 though, I would pick Toyota instead of Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
This would be my guess:

As it comes in 0w-20 and is similar to the Toyota but also has a 5-30 in that line I don't know much about. Probably too expensive if I could even find it (though I don't try hard and wouldn't order online).

I would stay away from Sustina. It's using a new, unproven additive technology that does not contain sulfur. For example, Infineum has reported that moly compounds that don't contain sulfur have no benefits at all.

Would you trust the new "ZP" Sustina is using instead of the proven ZDDP? I wouldn't, period. Avoid this rather expensive oil like a plague.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

Would you trust the new "ZP" Sustina is using instead of the proven ZDDP?

Yup. But that's not really the question here.

Eneos made the original Toyota 0w-20, and this is the 5-30 version of that oil.

Last edited:
Sustina would be my guess too but I'm not sure we ever found out the actual VI, if that's what you're looking for.

You could always make your own(see below)...I'm in the high VI crowd
grin.gif

If I'm absorbing and retaining what CATERHAM writes (We'll see)..

Based on "thickness" Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 is the closest. But its still off, because Toyota 0w20 is one the.. if not the thinnest 0w20.

I think PP is about the highest readily available. Sustina should have a higher VI than PP and regular Eneos at 177.

As a comparison, the 65% TGMO/35% M1 0w40 I have in the G6 should have a VI around 205 and still weigh in right at the bottom of the Xw30 spec with an HTHS of 2.9 and 100C of 10.2.

It's not that it's the thinnest but the thinner or lighter at start up temperatures. Not just winter cold starts either, the blend is about 20% lighter at 20C than the Petro-Canada 0w30 I was using.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
This would be my guess:

ENEOS 5W-30 has a 177 VI so I suspect Sustina 5W-30 is higher but they don't publish a PDS for it yet. Whether it's as high as the Toyota 0W-20 (VI 216) is hard to say. You could write them and see if they will release the PDS on it or simply ask them what the VI is right out.
Other high VI 30wts but still not in Toyota's league are Lucas 0W-30 (VI 190) and RL 0W-30 (VI 183) the latter also contains high moly and ZDDP levels but isn't an API oil.

The other option which cp3 alluded to is the CATERHAM Blend.
A` mixture of M1 0W-40 and Toyota 0W-20 that will a light 0W-30 with a VI of about 205. Mobil makes the Toyota oil and are on record stating there is no problem mixing the two oils as there is no problem mixing any Mobil oils.

Another more expensive blending option to get an even higher VI (210) 0W-30 if you don't mind using a non API oil would be substituting Red Line 0W-40 for M1 0W-40 at a lower 30% ratio.
Additionally this blend will give the added benefit of a higher moly and ZDDP concentration.

Originally Posted By: chiks
As the topic suggests, is there 5w-30 equivalent of Toyota 0w-20 ?
Anything that even comes close to?

Funny question ?

Non of the huge range of other 5w30 oils out there are suitable ?

Originally Posted By: virginoil

Funny question ?

I'm not sure how it is in AZ, but here if you walk into a WalMart or an Auto store there are only about 30 to 40 different 5-30 oils. Often times none of those really fits your unique needs and so one has to drive to multiple stores and blend their own.

Originally Posted By: virginoil

Funny question ?

Yes and they're all virtually identical with VIs around 170.
I think the reason no one formulates an ultra high VI 30wt oil is because the OEMs that want to maximize fuel economy simply specify a 20wt oil instead.
There are high VI 40wt oils like M1 0W-40 because OEMs need to minimize the high cold start viscosity that would normally result with a 40wt oil.

Originally Posted By: cp3
WAHAHAHA

Another member added to the Dark Side!

I would be. If I could find a place that sell the 0w-20.
Where can I get some?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back