B12 ChemTool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep seeing "B12 Chemtool" on the shelf by Berryman next to the Seafoam and notic that it costs 1/3 the price of Seafoam. I also hear it is stronger than Seafoam. From what i know, its a pretty strong solvent. (Seems B12 is "strong," Seafoam is "somewhat strong," MMO is "weak" by comparison.) So my question is.. how is it as a fuel additive, putting in the tank?

Putting recommended dose of Seafoam and MMO in there now, no "shock treatments" or "initial shock treatments/overdoses" as some do or say they have done.. will have the MMO and Seafoam (4oz each i suppose?) going on at same time. Next tank.. Gumout?

Original question is as to B-12 Chemtool
smile.gif

Yea, I noticed this price difference at Walmart too. I recall a commercial for B-12 a few years ago in which they put it in a Styrofoam cup and the cup dissolved with the comment that it would dissolve deposits in your fuel system.

So back to the question, yes, I would like to find out too if Seafoam is worth the extra price over B-12.

Back in days of carburetors, I used this exclusively. I can attest to its ability to clean varnish, carbon, and deposits left as a by product of gasoline in a carburetor. I used it to clean them during rebuilds and it did not require soaking for extended periods of time.

I would allow the fuel tank to be less than 1/2 full and add a can; I think you will be pleased with the results. I believe that B-12 would be better than both Seafoam and Gumout in your application.

My
49.gif

Originally Posted By: powayroger
Yea, I noticed this price difference at Walmart too. I recall a commercial for B-12 a few years ago in which they put it in a Styrofoam cup and the cup dissolved with the comment that it would dissolve deposits in your fuel system.

So back to the question, yes, I would like to find out too if Seafoam is worth the extra price over B-12.

PB Blaster does that too
smile.gif

I also think B12 is strong"est," (what does it do for fuel cleaning? Its not PEA) and Seafoam is "Mild strong" and MMO is "weak" by comparison. I know people use Seafoam for piston soaks.....

By the way, put ~5oz. Seafoam in tank, skipped MMO. Half tank is about 10 gallons. Still got the MMO

I recall a commercial for B-12 a few years ago in which they put it in a Styrofoam cup and the cup dissolved

Yea!!! Finally a solution to getting all that Styrofoam out of my engine!
wink.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
wink.gif
grin.gif

yes....yess.....one of the BITOG-criticisms of the Berryman's Product marketing :p lol. Our fuel systems don't contain anything as weak as styrofoam :p

But even so, yes I've heard of this stuff being almost as strong as Kano Lab's Kreen....since it does contain a high amount of solvents.....in fact, I do not think there is ANY "lubricity" to this particular product at all :X haha. But yes....I've used it before, with great results; no exploded/swollen fuel lines, no leaks, nothing as some may "believe" since the B-12 CHEMTOOL DOES contain "acetone"....which is supposed to be a big "no-no" additive to some....hehe.

But yes, the Berryman's product has a different usage structure than Seafoam.....Seafoam is more of a Multipurpose additive (oops....I think STP just coined that term...with their "competing" product lol - watch your stores' shelves) - since it can be used in the gas, oil/crankcase, and the intake/vacuum lines....

Berryman's now....I wouldn't risk running it through the brittle vacuum lines
wink.gif
But, mixed with 14+ gallons of fuel....I'm sure it will have no problems, and should npt have any adverse affects....at least I have not yet seen any "adverse" affects.....but like I said, I don't use it as an "every tank" additive.....in fact, the directions state it should only be used every fifth fill up......so that sort of tells you right there how strong/effective the formula is
wink.gif

Though my theory is, you're likely better off with a good UCL, than an "every fifth fill up additive" to keep your fuel system in tip-top condition.....makes for a good additive to run especially if you anticipate long highway driving.....so it can clear the fuel tank consistently.

Gasoline will do that, too, as will most volatile petroleum products.

Last edited:
the recommended amount of MMO is 4 oz in 10 gal of gasoline. if you are a little off its not a big deal. a while back i miss adjusted my oiler and pored 1 qt though my engine in 2 weeks, but no trouble.

I use to love B-12, and I will still use it in my motorcycle. I read something somewhere that said certain solvents were not good for modern plastic fuel tanks and fuel pumps. I can't remember the solvents (maybe Xylene), and they were not bashing B-12, but B-12 has the solvents mentioned.

Last edited:
It's more than likely the Acetone that B12 contains.....it's one of the "primary" solvents.....but my thing is......most of the "High Energy Solvents" within, flash off pretty quick......

But granted......sloshing around a fuuel tank for a week or more...probably not a good idea
wink.gif
Ive heard of some people using the product while "on the road" - where they KNOW they will burn through the tank of gasoline within a day, couple hours, etc......

Just another possible "solution" to that problem....

The other "gotcha" is the fact that B12 contains (m)ethanol.....sure, and well, so does our gasoline......
smile.gif
Everyone complains of ethanol.....BUT, ethanol happens to be a good cleaner agent.....which is why it's all in there.....
smile.gif

Not to mention, Berryman's directions state it is to be used no more than ONCE every five fill ups........my theory is the fact that a lot of "additive-a-holics" are over-dosing their fuel tanks....unless they are breaking out the breaker, the graduated cylinder, and the Bill Nye Scientist Goggles at the pump, the majorty are likely "over dosing" - though perhaps not by "a lot" - but overdosing anyways.....

By that fifth fill up.....there shouldn't be too much B12 left in that tank......and I believe that's the whole idea.....

Since there are some people who dose their tank based on the fuel volume "pumped" into the tank (the Bill Nye method, lol.....), and then there are the others that figure, "OK my tank holds 12 gallons, so I need to glug-glug about 12 ounces of Berryman's B-12 CHEMTOOL out of this cannister.....

And that's when it gets complicated.....since it is a steel can, there are no marking like a plastic oil quart bottle
wink.gif
So you just kind of have to "shake it" around and guesstimate..

But yea, B12 is something I wouldn't recommend "over-dosing".....being that yes, it is high solvency....

Seafoam per MSDS:
Pale Oil 40-60%
Naphtha 25-35%
Isopropyl Alcohol 10-20%

Berryman's B12 per MSDS:
Toluene 40-50%
Acetone 20-30%
Methanol 20-30%
Methyl Ethyl Ketone Isopropyl Alcohol 2-Butoxyethanol
Whenever I've used B12 as a gas tank additive, I've made sure it doesn't sit in the tank for very long. It's a good cleaner, but it's also a witches brew of some very strong solvents.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
I keep seeing "B12 Chemtool" on the shelf by Berryman next to the Seafoam and notic that it costs 1/3 the price of Seafoam. I also hear it is stronger than Seafoam. From what i know, its a pretty strong solvent. (Seems B12 is "strong," Seafoam is "somewhat strong," MMO is "weak" by comparison.) So my question is.. how is it as a fuel additive, putting in the tank?

Putting recommended dose of Seafoam and MMO in there now, no "shock treatments" or "initial shock treatments/overdoses" as some do or say they have done.. will have the MMO and Seafoam (4oz each i suppose?) going on at same time. Next tank.. Gumout?

Original question is as to B-12 Chemtool
smile.gif

The B12 is a good strong solvent. Sure - go ahead and use it once a year. But I prefer the Techron type cleaners for in tank use. Maybe one of each every year would be a good idea. With lousy gas, even more.

I've used B-12 in the lawnmower and a couple motorcycles. Haven't used it since because haven't had the need to as far as I'm concerned.
The mower ran smoother after a dosed tank and one of the bikes seem a little more responsive. Couldn't say the bike ran smoother because of the cams and other mods, but did seem more responsive - but it could be just me. The mower sure idled better too.

Oh wow I've always used B-12 for everything. I even used to flush regularly with it before I discovered gentler options. I've also done plenty of combustion chamber cleanings with it by pouring a cap full or so down the spark plug holes. A few years back, someone linked to a test they did on the effects of different fuel system cleaners or their components (cant remember the exact parameters) on the plastic parts in the fuel tank etc. They found toluene was the least damaging...

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
I recall a commercial for B-12 a few years ago in which they put it in a Styrofoam cup and the cup dissolved

wink.gif
grin.gif

Plain gasoline will also dissolve a Styrofoam cup. That is how they made Napalm during Vietnam. It was 49% gasoline + 49% Styrofoam by disolved volume, with 2% other stuff.

My understanding is that B12 is a solvent while stuff like Techron, SI-1, and Regane are detergents. A solvent acts quickly, but is not good for seals and gaskets. Use B-12 if you are going on a long drive and will be using everything in the tank. I would leave B-12 in the tank for as short of a time as possible. (sorry for that bad English)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back