5w-20 conventional okay in 0w-20 vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my sister just bought a 2012 civic and the oil cap says it needs 0w-20. as far as i know, 0w-20 is only in synthetic. Were in san francisco, so there isnt a problem with temperature. is a 5w-20 conventional such as pennzoil good for this engine? I haven't looked in her user manual since she doesnt live with me.

Have her check the manual. My 2012 Toyota which specs 0W-20 and 10,000 mile OCIs specifically calls out a 5,000 mile OCI if 5W-20 is used.

Also be aware that Honda brand oil has 0W-20 in both a "full synthetic" and in a "blend". I haven't seen any conventional 0W-20s.

Generally, I'd follow the manufacturer's recommendations. If they want 0W-20 in it, why not use it?

5W-20 would probably be fine, but you'll still reap benefits from 0W-20 oil, even in San Francisco. It's easy enough to find good 0W-20 at decent prices, and when changed as relatively infrequently as she will probably do in a new Civic, the cost per mile isn't that much higher.

Be careful using an oil other than what is specified. If there is ever an issue with the engine and, for warranty purposes, receipts are requested by Honda and they see 5W20 instead of 0W20, you will probably be working your way towards a warranty denial pretty dang quick.

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
my sister just bought a 2012 civic and the oil cap says it needs 0w-20. as far as i know, 0w-20 is only in synthetic. Were in san francisco, so there isnt a problem with temperature. is a 5w-20 conventional such as pennzoil good for this engine? I haven't looked in her user manual since she doesnt live with me.

A 0W-20, particularly a high VI 0W-20 is a lighter oil grade at all temp's not just below freezing.
In a pinch you could use a dino 5W-20 but why would you want to the warranty issue notwithstanding?
Check out the following thread where a member claims to have gotten a 5% fuel economy increase switching fron PYB 5W-20 to the Toyota 0W-20:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2679099&page=1

Geez. Just bought an '12 and can't afford ~30 USD every 7500 miles? Come on. Use the 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Geez. Just bought an '12 and can't afford ~30 USD every 7500 miles? Come on. Use the 0W-20.

I agree that the 0w20 and a good filter can be had for $30-35 max. The oil will have plenty of life in it to go the distance, all the way down to 5% oil life remaining on the Maintenance Minder system.

I've ran Mobil 1 EP for -2,000 miles past 0% and my UOA showed plenty of oil life left to go further if needed.

Having said that, you could use dino 5w20 and 5k OCIs.

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman

You buy a brand-new car that specifies synthetic oil and why would you want to take chances to ruin the engine with dino oil to save about ten bucks with the oil change? Besides, you would actually be losing much more money, as dino oil oxidizes quickly and fuel economy drops a lot with used dino oil. Synthetics maintain the fresh-oil fuel economy a lot longer.

I presume your sister has a "regular" Civic with the R18 engine. The hybrids have always specified 0w20. The R18 engine itself is the same as the 2006-2011 cars which spec conventional 5w20. Honda has stated publicly that they changed the oil recommendation for two reasons 1-slight improvement in fuel economy and 2-greater availability of 0w20 oil in the marketplace. The engine will be fine on conventional 5w20 for ~5,000 mile oil changes, but the "Maintence Minder" system may have been re-programmed for 2012 to take advantage of the longer drain intervals synthetic 0w20 is capable of.

My 2011 Civic sees usage I would characterize as "extra-urban" with very few truly short trips, and the maintenance minder recommends ~6,500 mile changes for me on conventional 5w20. Owners with Hondas which require 0w20 have reported their maintenance minders allow ~10k mi between oil changes. There are BITOG members with Fits, Accords and IIRC a Pilot which have reported such intervals.

I'll echo the sentiments of others. While there would be nothing technically wrong with using conventional 5w20 for 5k mi OCIs, the savings in oil cost is pretty minimal compared to the risk of having a warranty repair denied due to using the wrong oil. Again, there's nothing wrong with the oil, but deviating from the owner's manual recommendations may give the dealer just the excuse they need to deny warranty coverage in the event of an engine problem.

Stick to the 0w20. M1 AFE is available for ~$5.50/qt and so is the Honda syhthetic blend. It's not like they're recommending $11/qt Redline oil or anything.

SF and Ny are equal in cost of living pretty much. You can go to a Honda stealer get 0-20 blend made by Conoco for $39 here in NY. $39 for 0-20 blend. It could cost that much for 2/ dinner in a Dennys in dtn SF!!

No it is says 0-20 not synthetic. You can buy a oc with a BLEND!
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back