TCS, ABS, check engine. Saturn Vue

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Saturn Vue XR AWD 3.6l v6, ~35k.

Just driving today and all of a sudden, the traction control and abs lights went on and stayed on. A little later, the engine felt like it was shudddering and the check engine light started to blink. Then it would run smooth and the check light would dissapear, but it would happen again every so often. The entire time, however, the abs and tcs lights were on constant burn.

I've read something about some sensors and wheel hub problems, but I;m not too familiar with these cars, and I've never heard about them in conjunction with the check engine light.

What could be the problem? Help please! Thanks!

Is there any warranty remaining? or did this go bye-bye with the bankruptcy. 35K would be under warranty in many cases. Is it over 3 yrs. old? Some Buick/GMC dealers in my area are appointed as service centers/warranty providers for the orphans from GM. You may want to check. FWIW--Oldtommy

Sounds electrical, or an extreme coincidence.

For the ABS- Happened to me, one of the 4 ABS speed sensors failed which disengages the system triggering the light. Requires somebody that knows how to read the ABS control module to figure out which sensor.

For the CEL - A code reader should see your intermittent code under "pending"

Quite possibly a wheel sensor.
The TCS uses them to shut down some cylinders if traction is lost.
If the sensor is defective it can a trigger a random misfire code P300.
You will need a code scanner that has ABS capabilities to determine which wheel unless you want to use a VOM on each sensor.

Could be anything. If it pulls engine power for traction control it could still be a dud wheel sensor if it all happened at the same time. (Though a bit unlikely- they shouldn't run that diagnostic then.)

How about doing a basic battery/ alt/ ground diagnosis? AC getting into the system might mess with all this stuff.

the guys over at saturn fans forums say that both of these issues are common. the wire near the wheel gets frayed causing the tcs and abs to go off.

the spark plug boot/wire gets corroded cauing an arc in the spark.

not under warranty, what kind of bill am i looking at?

thanks for all the replies!

hmm. all the lights went away, drove fine. then, they all came on at once as soon as i pulled into the driveway.. this is so frustrating.

apparently the boot is a dealer only item, and i couldn't get to it if i had a robotic arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back