Fusion Transmission problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after doing extensive research and test drives, my SO and I have decided on a couple of cars including the 2011 Sonata and the 2011 Fusion with the 2.5 auto setup. Here's the link to my original thread on my search:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2664498&page=1

I have found some unsettling info on the Fusions's transmissions and even on VERY low mileage units.
http://www.fordforumsonline.com/forum/fo...model-year.html
Everything else seems to have checked out well on the car, but this piece of info doesnt' make me feel very comfortable throwing down 20g's cash to a private seller I have lined up.

On the other hand, I am very interested in the Sonata, but given the 2011 MY is a new setup, I dont' feel very comfortable with a newly launched car.

Ultimatly I think the best solution is just to buy the MIL a crown Vic or Grand Marquis, but again, I'm preaching to the choir as the MIL STILL insists on a car comparable in fuel economy to the 2005 Focus.

Any advise/insight anyone can provide?
thanks in advance

Last edited:
I'm surprised at the early trans issues in the Fusion. Didn't GM and Ford develop that transmission together (joint venture)? Yet I'm not hearing about any significant problems with the GM units. Between the Focus/Fiesta and the Fusion transmission complaints this is a big problem for Ford...hope they resolve the issue soon. BTW, Car and Driver recently did a mpg comparo and tested the economy version of the Focus with the auto. They said that despite Ford's supposed improvements, the trans still exhibited erratic behavior. I rented one (a 2011 model)and despite it being a nice driver couldn't stand the trans...rough and SLOW shifting at low speeds. That and the button-happy and confusing dash and VERY poor rear seat room would be a deal breaker for me.

I have drove about 3800 miles since the reprogram has been done on my 2.5 Fusion and have had no additional issues. I would probably buy another as the car is that nice. I did trade my 200S on a Fusion Sport, but that was because I wanted another V6.

If those Fusions are still requiring transmission reflashes and you're still hearing reports of them acting strange, stay away. This problem has been around long enough that it should've been fixed entirely. You don't want to be the one holding the bill for a screwed up transmission when the powertrain warranty ends just because Ford couldn't get their end of the deal right.

I have read some complaints of the new Fusions having flaring issues with the new Transmission Model Years 2010+. I have an older Fusion and think that the older ones are more reliable. 2008 or 2009 would be my choice for reliability if that is an option for a car of that age. I believe that the Mazda 6 was in production long enough before the Fusion to work out most of the bugs since they were closely related at that time. I have heard that the transmissions are different between the 2006-2009 models and the 2010s.

I think the new Focus has a different design that does not use a torque converter IIRC. Different animal than the newer Fusion.

If you like the Fusion's 2.5, why not check out a Mazda6i?

I'm not hearing the shift flare problems on the 6i, it was made in the same Michigan plant as the Ford Mustang, and it's essentially similar to the Ford Fusion. The current model is bigger than my model. It went from being too big to be a compact but not a midsize to too big to be a midsize but not quite a fullsize.

And since it's "just a Mazda", you won't pay the Honda or Toyota premium pre-owned price.

Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
I believe that the Mazda 6 was in production long enough before the Fusion to work out most of the bugs since they were closely related at that time.

Still architecturally close.
By late '05 to '06, Mazda had de-bugged the 6 pretty well.

My wife has an '06 Milan that just rolled over 100,000 mi.

Absolutely the best, most trouble-free car we have ever owned.

Other than tires and brakes I had to have an o2 sensor replaced a couple of weeks ago, thats it. I was not aware of the transmission issue with the later models, but I wouldn't shy away from one of these.

Unfortunately, the transmission issues were the reason why we traded in our '10 Fusion. Loved the car, but couldn't get the transmission to shift right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back