Rotella T6 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody please explain to me why I can't just run this oil in my '95 BMW 740IL, M60 gas motor. I see it's good for diesel and gas rigs. I have ran Rotella T 5W-40 since my 02'Ford Excursion, 7.3L, and '03 Ford F-350, 6.0L Powerstroke were brand new. Always have been curious if I could run it in BMW. On the bimmerforums, there are guys running it, but it seems to have sprang much contervery. Help please!

I have zero experience with BMWs other than an oil change or two.

However, I would say to run it for once OCI and get a UOA done afterwards and that will speak for itself. I am reasonably sure that the oil wouldn't do anything negative to your engine. There is one person on here that runs 0w-20 (or 5w-20) in a Mercedes spec'd for Xw-40 oil and his engine actually performs better if my memory serves me correctly.

Originally Posted By: mcallister
Somebody please explain to me why I can't just run this oil in my '95 BMW 740IL, M60 gas motor.

If it meets the BMW service ratings (for '95) and recommended vis range, I don't see why you couldn't run RTS in it.

If you're uberanal about it, run a UOA on the first run to assure yourself it's OK.

You'll hear no hate of RTS (and straight-weight Rotella) from me. I've run Rotella for many years (long before joining BITOG) in everything from lawnmowers to big marine engines. I have nothing but praise for it.

You can absolutely run RT6 in your beamer. It is out of warranty and I think some people hate on it because it is not expensive, I think that is really one of the big reasons. I would run it with confidence.

+1 I would run T6 if I was in your shoes.

I have heard of ppl running bmw and mercs only wanting to run "euro" style oil that are available in the US. Nothing wrong with that they are usually top shelf oils when it comes to PCMOs (at least they care), but to shut out T6 cuz it is an HDEO syn available at just about every walmart for cheaper, is a disservice to their engines/wallets.

Tho I can see someone under warranty wanting to stick with other oils cuz they usually carry proper approval ratings.

Last edited:
BMW recommended only SAE grade specs in '95.
They didn't yet have their own oil cert.
The first was LL-98.
Having said this, BMW in 1995 would have considered a 5W-40 too thin for summer temperatures in most of the US, although you'd probably be okay in Portland.
I'd use T6 in your engine without question.
It would be fine, on moderate drains, since TBN retention does not seem all that strong in UOAs posted here.
If you want to try something cheaper, my low-cal '95 BMW seems very happy on Maxlife 10W-40.
As long as you don't go wild on the OCIs, most forty grades would be okay for most older BMWs, although maybe not for M cars.

Cool, it's just a hair more than $5.00/quart at Walmart (where I have bought it for the last 10 years). Sounds kinda of lazy, with Rotella T6, I just have one oil to buy for all the rigs. Shoot, going to just to run it in the lawnmower and generator too. : ) Does anyone remember when Rotella T was just over $14/gallon? : ) That's how much it was when I first started buying it!

Cool, it's just a hair more than $5.00/quart at Walmart

Which is awfully close to the price of M1 0w-40 when on sale. And M1 does carry official BMW certifications. However, I really don't see an issue running T6 in your car.

Quote:

Does anyone remember when Rotella T was just over $14/gallon? : ) That's how much it was when I first started buying it!

Rotella T costs around $13 at my walmart currently. T6 costs $21 and change.

^Yep, that's what T6 is now, I just remember when it was $14.00/gallon. Well, next oil change, Rotella T6 is going in! Really appreciate you guys replying so fast.......you have no idea how often Rotella T6 gets shot down on the bimmerforums......I see no harm, just thought I would check in with you guys.

Last edited:
^Yep, that's what T6 is now, I just remember when it was $14.00/gallon. Well, next oil change, Rotella T6 is going in! Really appreciate you guys replying so fast.......you have no idea how often Rotella T6 gets shot down on the bimmerforums......I see no harm, just thought I would check in with you guys.
Probably because BMW spec'd oil can be had for same price in most instances. Depending on the MY it makes the decision to use non-spec illogical.

I used t6 in our '98 528i and it ran just as well as when I put in M1 0w-40. It was actually because of this car I started changing my own oil..It was my wifes car, and one time I had to pay for the service and noticed they were putting in 15w-40; which is a little thick for year round use in Chicago Area. And yes it was around $15-$17 a gallon then for me.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
mcallister said:
Cool, it's just a hair more than $5.00/quart at Walmart

Which is awfully close to the price of M1 0w-40 when on sale.
Do tell. Can you tell me the last time you saw it that cheap? I generally pay $8+ per quart.

Originally Posted By: Viscosity
Do tell. Can you tell me the last time you saw it that cheap? I generally pay $8+ per quart.

The entire month of June, NAPA had it on sale for $5.79/qt. Other auto part stores run frequent sales on it as well. Keep an eye on our Rebates/Promotions subforum here on BITOG.

Somebody please explain to me why I can't just run this oil in my '95 BMW 740IL, M60 gas motor.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm considering buying an MB SL500 (R129). If we do, I would have no problems running T6 in it.

^Sweet!! Went ahead and bought a couple gallon jugs of it. It's going in. : ) Won't be soon, have another 5K to go on current oil. Will let everyone know how it goes.

Bought the SL500. A garage-kept 2000 with 14k on it.

So that's 2 vehicles that will be running T6 out of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back