Painting help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I painted my Motorcycle gas tank and side covers and it looks real nice..now for the question;
Do I need to finish sand before I clear coat? If so, what grit and how does the shine come back? I am afraid to wet sand because it dulls the finish and I am not sure if the clear coat will revive it.
Which is the best product for clear coat to protect against fuel?
Rust Oleum states it is resistant, is that OK?

Thank you Mr Paint GURU in advance for the help

Are you spraying from a can or a spray gun ?
What did you use for a base coat ?
What will you use for a clear coat ?
You don't have to sand before the clear coat, but in this case I would because of the time interval between coats. Sanding with a 1500-2000 grit will provide a fresh surface with some teeth for the clear coat to adhere to.
I'm self-taught, not a pro, and what I would do in this situation is to practice on an old hood or trunk lid.

Keith

800 grit with soap and water and then alcohol wipe down and spray the clear. Finish wetsand with 1500+ grit paper, buff, and voila!

I'd wet sand it with fine paper, then clear coat it.
The grit depends on how nice the finish presently is.
But 800-1000 is good.
BTW, soak the paper at least 1/2 hour in water before using it!
This is a great tip. It will cut smoother and not clog up, and the paper will last longer. Let the paper do the work - light pressure.

When all is said and done, do like dwcopple said and use 1,500 and then buff it. Even a hand buffing with polishing compound and a soft rag will work.
Don't have fine paper? Go buy a pack with assorted fine grits - it's not much $. And you won't need much.

Thanks for the help..if you would like to see it email me cause I don't know how to post a pic here.

[email protected]

Rattle can paint job and it was not easy to make it look decent. Took me 13 times of stripping, primer and paint to get it this way.

After 13 times I finally got it. Never will I paint again! Doctor says my balance is off so I should not ride. Sold my bikes and now I go fishing instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back