Can Wal-Mart mount Lawn and Garden tires?

I am going to need a 16 x 7.50 x 8 tire replaced.

Can Wal-Mart mount 8" lawn and garden tires?

This is such an odd-ball size, I will have to order it. No one local carries it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Can't you call your local Wal-Mart and find out?

Why would I do that, when I can just ask here?

Do you actually think that I'm going to get someone on the phone, at Wal-mart, who knows what a 16 x 7.50 x 8 tire is without seeing it?

Really?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Why would I do that, when I can just ask here?

Do you actually think that I'm going to get someone on the phone, at Wal-mart, who knows what a 16 x 7.50 x 8 tire is without seeing it?

Really?

If you don't trust them to know what the tire is when you call, why would you ever trust them to mount it?

Little lawn and garden tires are very simple to mount. Just do it yourself, and if you can't handle it take it to a real tire shop who can.

Really?

Maybe not. But why make it so complicated? Your original question: "Can Wal-Mart mount Lawn and Garden tires?" would suffice.

I am going to need a 16 x 7.50 x 8 tire replaced.

Can Wal-Mart mount 8" lawn and garden tires?

This is such an odd-ball size, I will have to order it. No one local carries it.

I doubt it (at least they weren't doing it when I was in that situation.) The Deere dealer wanted an hour labor to hand mount two tires (wasn't going there.) Found a guy that owned a small gas station that had built a jig for his tire machine to service L&G tires. Think he charged $5 each at that time.

I worked at a Sears Auto Center for a while in college (about 7 years ago).

There was a Super Walmart a couple blocks away. They sold lawn and garden tires, but wouldn't mount them. We had people come in all the time with lawn tires that they bought at Walmart, and Walmart evidently told them we could mount them.

We didn't really have any special tools for it, other than a threaded post welded to a table to hold the wheel. Walmart should have been able to do it, but they wouldn't, for some reason.

Their policy may have changed, but that was the case with the store in my area at that time.

Last edited:
My Wal-Mart sells 1 or 2 turf tires, but doesn't mount them either. Some law&garden/tractor shops will. I've watched the videos, and it appears to be a pain to do by hand. I simply bought a whole front wheel/tire universal combo at Home Depot for mine. Price for both was around $35 (about the price of the tire itself at other places).

Well its not easy for everyone to do it like some stated here. I never say a job is easy unless your mother can do it "easy" and most mothers can't do this job easily.

Ya It is hard to believe that Wally wont mount them but harder to believe my local farm stores are the same way, sell but no install? Really think thats doing us a service just selling it? Please!
So' imo you companies can kiss it & just keep your tires I will buy online so you dont make a dime from them too, thats how to treat them folks. Why pay them for this?

But' If one has no tire changer a fairly easy way to change one of these is leave it mounted to the mower, just jack mower up a little. The axle will hold the rim still and you work your way around the remove/install process. But' no its not easy anyway you do it unless you have a manual tire changer like Harbor sells or unless you just have your mommy actually do it for you?

Small front tire your talking about here and they aren't as bad to mount. Nothing like my old Wheel Horse Tractors with 23" rear lug tires as thats a fight now and HD won't help you there..thanks

Mount them yourself. They don't have the same kind of reinforced bead that automotive/street tires have, so the bead can be stretched. Just use soapy water for lubrication and a couple of big screwdrivers for leverage.

Originally Posted by 123GO
Well its not easy for everyone to do it like some stated here. I never say a job is easy unless your mother can do it "easy" and most mothers can't do this job easily.

Ya It is hard to believe that Wally wont mount them but harder to believe my local farm stores are the same way, sell but no install? Really think thats doing us a service just selling it? Please!
So' imo you companies can kiss it & just keep your tires I will buy online so you dont make a dime from them too, thats how to treat them folks. Why pay them for this?

But' If one has no tire changer a fairly easy way to change one of these is leave it mounted to the mower, just jack mower up a little. The axle will hold the rim still and you work your way around the remove/install process. But' no its not easy anyway you do it unless you have a manual tire changer like Harbor sells or unless you just have your mommy actually do it for you?

You resurrected an 8 year old thread to say this...

The horror.

Anyway, I found it easier to buy a tire & wheel assembly in a close enough size and swap both front tires and wheels out.

16x7.50-8 is a Carlisle size. Going to a 16x6.50-8 or visa versa, will work just fine.

Hmmm... and here I am, 8 years later, responding to a topic that I don't even remember starting....
smile.gif

Originally Posted by wag123
Mount them yourself. They don't have the same kind of reinforced bead that automotive/street tires have, so the bead can be stretched. Just use soapy water for lubrication and a couple of big screwdrivers for leverage.

If you decide to DIY Leaving the tire in the hot, direct sun light for awhile and baby powder or corn starch Are your best friends.

Holy smokes. I knew this thread was an oldie when I saw my man PopRivet posted. He probably out there right now dogging on some kid about how his first job isn't worth showing up to.

Hopefully OP's mower is usable now.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Back