how should I apply decals to engine valve covers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't find any guidance - so I thought I'd hit you guys up.

I'm installing reproduction decals on the valve covers of my 70 Mk III's 460. I just sandblasted, and then primed and painted them with rustoleum's 500 degree engine primer and paint.

Anyone ever done this before? Some pointers? Should I coat them in clear coat? Should I put some special glue under them?

As long as the surface is clean, they should be fine. The heat may discolor them slightly over time.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Why do you need to put decals on the valve covers???
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet

I'm installing reproduction decals on the valve covers of my 70 Mk III's 460.

I actually do decals om vehicles as well as the graphic for a company, is this a graphic printed on adhesive vinyl? Or is it a shape cutout in a colored vinyl? If its aplied to a metal surface it can get really and maybe melt the glue and even the vinyl a bit.

Originally Posted By: wolf_06
I actually do decals om vehicles as well as the graphic for a company, is this a graphic printed on adhesive vinyl? Or is it a shape cutout in a colored vinyl? If its aplied to a metal surface it can get really and maybe melt the glue and even the vinyl a bit.
get really hot***

On valve covers? Remove them and clean them REALLY well, make them real smooth. I assume the adhesive is correct???

I was just thinking about posing this same question. I have a "Type II" decal that I have been pondering as to how to glue on my engine (Acura Legend Type II engine). No idea as to what type of glue to use or if it is even possible without melting it.

Factory Valve Cover Decals were quite common on v8's, especially American muscle cars. Should have self stick backing made for the application. Should have paper protecting the backing. No?

If you have painted them, I would heat them up at least once before putting the decal on. I'd let the paint gas out a bit before sticking something over the fresh paint.

Thanks for the inputs everyone! I'm going to do what spasm3 recommends - heat them up once before putting the decal on. It's self adhesive very thin vinyl. Looks like it was printed on a laser printer.

I put reproduction decal's on the valve cover of my chevy 396 big block engine years ago and they have lasted fine. They were self adhesive. I also had painted the valve covers but I don't remember how long the paint was on before I put the decal on.

When these vehicles were new, I doubt the paint was very old when the decals were applied of course the paint was probably baked on which you probably didn't do on yours. I would just do what spasm3 suggested just to be safe.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back