Zero Turn Hydraulic Filter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Called the local shop today about when to change out the filter/oil in my hydraulic system today and they said it is recommended at 350 hours, mine has 357.

I took the filter off and headed to NAPA, they cross-referenced the 102606 filter to a Wix 51348. I got 3 quarts of Mobil1 15w50 and changed it out but now I'm second guessing the filter. I told them it was for my hydraulics on my zero turn, but they said it matched a regular oil filter.
I would have gone to the shop and got one but they are 50 miles each way, they suggested going to NAPA.

Am I ok with this filter?

Last edited:
usually the only difference is a lack of anti drainback valve

I've used em on my deere 318's for years.. no problems.

Originally Posted By: Rand
usually the only difference is a lack of anti drainback valve

I've used em on my deere 318's for years.. no problems.

+1

I'd use a "engine oil" filter without hesitation.

This has come up here before and the general consensus seems to be on the smaller applications like this one that an oil filter will suit your needs just fine.

Personally I would still run the proper hydralic filter but thats my OCD kicking in
smile.gif

HMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!

The WIX is an engine oil filter that I use on my Caravan. It's micron rating is 21 and bypass pressure relief is 8-11 lbs..

The KEES 102606 is a hydraulic/transmission filter rated at 10 microns and 18-22 bypass pressure relief.

The WIX will bypass sooner AND allow larger particles to pass through.

I'm going to stand up to the pedestal on this one (rare for me).

UNLESS YOU HAVE A REALLY CHEAP AND "LOOSE" hydraulic system....I was taught that hydraulic systems operate at quite high pressures AND have VERY tight clearances. Dirt/particles can ruin them quickly. They are expensive. 10 micron filters are standard on most hydraulic systems, period.

Every cross reference to your part number on Google comes up with a 10 micron filter. I have no idea why WIX crosses to an engine filter (I tried it).

This is based on my experience maintaining my workplace Exmark commercial ZTR, where the manual BOLDLY recommends to use an OEM equivalent 10 micron filter.

Penny wise/pound foolish is my opinion here if you use that filter.

Off my pedestal.....let the counter points begin!

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
HMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!

The WIX is an engine oil filter that I use on my Caravan. It's micron rating is 21 and bypass pressure relief is 8-11 lbs..

The KEES 102606 is a hydraulic/transmission filter rated at 10 microns and 18-22 bypass pressure relief.

The WIX will bypass sooner AND allow larger particles to pass through.

The bypass on the KEES is probably set higher because it's way more efficient and will load up quicker than the WIX will. Therefore, they have set the bypass to open at a higher pressure to ensure it doesn't open until it's near the max holding capacity. Therefore, the WIX may not necessarily go into bypass first.

O.k., may have to eat some crow here. Seems that hydraulic filters are measured different than engine filters? So, 10 micron hydraulic may not be much different than 20-25 micron engine filter? Dazed and confused. The reason I don't get up on the pedestal. I will have to call and find out!

Sorry!

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
O.k., may have to eat some crow here. Seems that hydraulic filters are measured different than engine filters? So, 10 micron hydraulic may not be much different than 20-25 micron engine filter?

I'm not sure ... guess it's possible hydraulic filters are tested differently than vehicle oil filters. But a micron is a micron no matter how it's tested, and it either catches the particles of a certain micron size and larger at some efficiency, or it doesn't.

I've emailed Wix asking them to explain how they recommend the 51348 for a replacement of the Kees 102606 with the differences in the microns and by-pass relief pressures, maybe they will respond with a explanation soon.

I'll post their reply here when I get it.

I called Exmark and will clarify my previous post. I spoke with a telephone tech. that was "somewhat" knowledgeable.....maybe.

To correct myself, my manual actually does say the OEM hydraulic filter (109-4180)is 25 microns with 10 psi bypass relief. Their website service section is where they recommend the 10 micron filter. I asked to have this verified, and, he looked in the manual...duh.

He "claimed" Exmark backed off the 10 micron recommendation for their systems (thick oil, flow rates, etc.). He said the website needed updating.

This all goes against my education to use 10 micron filters on hydraulic systems. Someone educate me.

BUT, without prompting him, he "claimed" he knew of a new mower hydraulics that burned up on an engine oil filter because they are designed around a pressurized system and the Exmark is a suction system????? Not sure I believe or understand this. Instead of guessing, I just use an OEM filter always.

What bothers me is that Wix still crosses my filter to a 10 micron hydraulic filter. When googling your number, the generic filters (Stens/Oregon)that cross to your filter also cover mine, i.e., the same? Yet, Wix crosses mine to a real hydraulic filter, but yours to an engine filter. Following this? This mess raises red flags for me and makes me call to verify.

I witnessed a CAT diesel injector pump expensive repair due to a "will fit", wrong micron fuel filter. Thus, the birth of my OCD about filters and using OEM for certain, sensitve applications.

I'm still confused, and I apologize that I stirred the pot for you. But, with the expense of this equipment, you need to be careful.

Good luck and share what you find out. What is the make and model of mower, as I could not find any of your numbers in my 2003 WIX paper catalog/bible (3 inches thick).

My comment about filter ratings came from Gary Allan (RIP), who said hydraulic filters are tested on single pass, engine filters on multiple pass.
21.gif

My mower is a Husqvarna IZ4818 and the OEM filter is a 539102606 part number. Wix actually cross-references this to their 51215 which is the same as the 51348 other than the burst pressure is a little higher. The aftermarket Kees 102606 cross-references to the 51348.

Here's what Wix emailed back to me.

"Your comments and questions are noted. I'll take this to the next level and have this checked and get back to you when I receive the findings."

After kicking around the Wix filter and then not having anyone at a mower shop or Wix tell me for sure it would work, I went to a mower shop and got the OEM 539102606 filter and took the Wix off. I decided with the pumps being $350-$400 it made no sense to take the chance of running a filter of less specs.
I really wanted the Wix to work and my gut feeling is it would be fine, but the OEM one gives me pc of mind.

The Wix model was $6.49 at NAPA, the OEM was $28 at the mower shop
crazy.gif

From this hydraulic filter site: http://www.hydraulicstore.com/index.php?loc=items_detail&data[history]=&data[catalog]=1&data[itemcode]=3980773

539102606 = KEES 102606 = WIX 51269

So, now you have three different WIX filters crossed referenced to your mower. I agree with your decision not to be a guinea pig with your expensive mower, in spite of being raped on the OEM cost. Luckily, it should only require changing every 3 or more years.

Another red flag: My Exmark has 2 OEM filters. One is larger micron for winter use below 32F degrees (flow?). The aftermarket filters say they cover both applications.
21.gif

I use WIX air and oil filters in my Caravan. At my workplace maintaining ag and grounds equipment, I have had a few other cross reference mis-applications with WIX. I.E., a WIX air filter would NOT fit into the air box of a Briggs 2 cyl. Vanguard engine....complete fail.

Please follow up with Wix's final reply.

Originally Posted By: hitmanharleyk
After kicking around the Wix filter and then not having anyone at a mower shop or Wix tell me for sure it would work, I went to a mower shop and got the OEM 539102606 filter and took the Wix off. I decided with the pumps being $350-$400 it made no sense to take the chance of running a filter of less specs.
I really wanted the Wix to work and my gut feeling is it would be fine, but the OEM one gives me pc of mind.

The Wix model was $6.49 at NAPA, the OEM was $28 at the mower shop
crazy.gif

I think you did the right thing Charlie..... so far as the 28 bucks goes, well-this may make you feel better- keep the saying pay me now (28), or pay me later(400)in mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back