how do you change the oil in a 18 wheeler???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do my own lube services on my semi. A relatively simple job. I like having a Fumoto drain valve in place of the drain plug so I can control or shut off drain if I need to. Filters (oil and fuel) are simple. Greasing the truck is a no brainer also. I guess I could have someone else do it, but I know that it is being done right and nothing is missed. I can inspect the entire underside of the truck, which is really important now with CSA 2010 regulations and such. I just don't trust any of the standard truck lube places to let me know about a problem underneath or even hit all the grease points properly. If it was just a matter of changing oil and filter on a car, then I might consider a lube shop. With the government breathing down trucking's collective back, I can't afford the least little slip up because some tech was having a bad day and didn't notice something. And I save money over what it would cost me at a truck lube place. The only other person I would trust under my truck doing this job is a full blown certified tech that knows how to look at every component under that rig.

If you can change oil and lube a standard pickup, you can do a semi. Like was stated earlier.... it is just a bigger job. But there is a lot of stuff under that chassis that needs looked at and checked. Without a firm understanding of what is going on under that truck, you really can't do the job properly.

Hi,
Bigred3030 - You should access the BITOG Truckser's Forum - it will be helpful to you

To do the job correctly and as a part of a routine programmed maintenance system you need the correct equipment

I always used a drive over pit (tractor & trailer) equipped with air jacks. This enables correct greasing and inspection of tyres, steering, driveline etc and suspension components in a timely way

My Drivers carried out a daily pre-trip Inspection to a set plan and signed off on it as part of their Job Contract.

The trucks were professionally Inspected to a set and documented routine and this was signed off by the Operator. This was carried out every fortnight/three weeks depending on utilisation/application and OCIs were around every five months or so. Typically my annual use was 225k kms (140k miles)and I was present at every OC in order to sample the lubricant and etc

I only had one serious mishap - the Diffs on one vehicle were not inspected as paid for and documented. One Diff failed and the Service Provider paid the $18000 repair costs and the Operator was terminated for falsifying the documentation

Dougs quote: "This enables correct greasing and inspection of tyres, steering, driveline etc and suspension components in a timely way" Doug is right!

I did most of mine, however....you do need to have the tires off the ground to grease the balljoints properly. It is nice to have the ability to spin the tires to look for bad spots, and aujustment of brakes is finer tuned with them off the ground. You can check for wheel bearing slack as well.With that said: I would (if you want to do your own work) buying some nice equiptment for working on it. It's a write off!

Air compressor, air tools such as... Lug wrench, grease gun, 2-bottle jacks etc. Tools are just larger and same as pickup truck/cars. I used to do most of the minor work. It's nice to have extra tires mounted on rims for quick changes. Oil changes and filter changes are not any different that most trucks and cars. If you are an owner operator, you must be up on the maintance and do most of the work to stay alive. The shop rates will kill you.

Last edited:
Oil changes to full blown inspections. The op only needs a few basic tools change the oil on a semi truck. The biggest issue will be managing the waste.

We've owned and operated the Class 8 trucks since 1981 and have done most of the maintenance ourselves. There is a bunch more to servicing a big truck than just changing the oil, such as adjusting the brake slack adjusters on trucks still equipped with manual adjusters, adjusting the clutch, bleeding the air out of the fuel system after a fuel filter change, checking wheel bearings and the list goes on to keep the equipment dependable. This all part of basic maintenance on the big trucks, not just changing the oil.

If the ONLY thing the OP is going to do is an oil change, then he can probably do it (with the right filters and information).

If the rig needs a full blown service, it's better off heading for a full service shop.

The choice is up to the owner of the rig.

In a previous like I drove a FedEx 18 wheeler and they only changed the oil every 45,000 miles using Delo 15W 40. Then we started using a system that would drop small amounts of oil in the fuel tank and then they never changed the oil, I just had to put 2 quarts in every morning and the filters were replaced at 45K. I know I didn't answer the original question, just wanted to let you know that you don't need to change it as often because we tested everything when I worked there.

drain plug is typically a 1/2" drive square. some volvos require a BIG allen key.

Its a messy job, but what helps is taking sharp punch and stabbing a hole in the bottom of the old oil filters to drain them, so they arent so heavy and awkward to unscrew, and won't spill oil all over yourself.

Beware on CAT C15's or other motors with the side drain plug....it comes out FAST and sprays out like a fan atfirst. make sure to aim your pan well
smile.gif

typically at oil change intervals you change the fuel filters at the same time, and be sure to always fill them with fresh diesel to prevent dry starting.

Last edited:
whatever you do, do consider liability. I personally wouldn't want the liability of a $100k truck on my hands.

As has been stated before... a Fumoto drain valve in place of the drain plug solves a lot of problems. All of the semi's I have owned got one of these on the first oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back