Unidirectional tire as spare ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't pay attention to the spare tires in my cars. Just tried to check pressure in all my spare tires, found that the original full size spare in the trunk of the E430 has directional tire. It is GY Eagle GF-D1, it's a brand new 12 years old and never been used tire.

Why manufacture has unidirectional spare tire ? It is okay for summer but not very good in winter when we may have some rain, when the spare is mounted on the wrong side.

PS I could not do 5 wheels rotation because even it's same size with other wheels, it's different style and looks like steel not aluminum wheel.

They do that to match the other factory tires and half the time it's better than a donut. The other half, it's to get you to the next gas station.

If it bugs you, unmount it and sell it on craigslist. If it's never hit the road, its probably still coated in wax preservative and should be okay for someone in a pinch.

I carry a directional winter as a full size spare when I tow in the summer. I can keep towing with that or be stranded with the donut. For how little a spare should be used, it should be fine.

If the spare wheel is the same style as other wheels, then 5 tires rotation is the best use of the spare. As of now I need to find a replacement for the 12 year old spare tire even it never touch the ground.

I don't think I want to sell it to anybody, because it's not safe for more than a few miles in city speed.

Junk it, and get whatever new tire a tire shop can mount on that wheel cheaply. I'd never trust a 12 year old tire at anything more than around town speeds.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
If you had to mount it on the wrong side you could get a gas station to flip it.

If the other tires on the car are also directional, you would still have the same problem, just on the other side.
wink.gif

It's not going to be optimal in heavy rain, but it won't be too bad. No street tire can be optimal for every condition, especially one that's not even directional to begin with. The important thing is that tread depth is adequate and the rubber hasn't aged to the point of being unsafe. I'd inspect it well for signs of deterioration and go easy on it if you ever have to put it in service.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I don't think I want to sell it to anybody, because it's not safe for more than a few miles in city speed.

If you have a tire shop unmount it, they are going to resell it, without your consent. (Of course they have liability at this point.)

If you want to keep this from happening, you should drill a few large holes in the sidewall.

Worried about a 12 year old tire being directional? Really?

Just go buy a new non-directional tire.

But yes, when Toyota/Lexus ships a full size spare it's the same as the other four tires (often the same wheel as well, but I guess not in this case which is a shame, it's supposed to be a Lexus after all).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back