Full strength coolant for 07 Honda CRV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to replace the coolant in the wife's 07 Honda CRV. on most vehicles I prefer to drain as much coolant as I can, fill with distilled water, run for ten minutes and then repeat the process until the water drains out clear. i then fill with full strength coolant for half the total capacity. Then top off with distilled water. This ensures a proper 50-50 mixture. The Honda coolant and the Zerex asian coolant look to only be available in 50% strength. So, there is no way to get a 50-50 mixture using that stuff as there is always a quart or so of water left in the system after flushing with water. How do you guys handle this dilemma? Run less than a 50-50 mix or use something that you can buy full strength? If full strength, what are you guys running in your Hondas?

Thanks...

Most people don't go anywhere near as far as you do.

Drain the radiator, refill with fresh coolant, done. Cooling systems in CRV's aren't known to sludge up or be prone to corrosion, and I'll bet a lot of them are running on coolant that is >10 years old with no problems.

There is no need to do that. Just drain and refill the radiator with Honda Type II periodically. I have yet to see any Honda using Type II that has massive deposits or sludge that warrants a complete flush.

Lots of good information above, but I understand your desire to get as much coolant out as possible. Generally though, Type 2 as Honda recommended is a 10year/~100k fluid, as and an original fluid, 5yr/60k thereafter.

You are also correct that it is very difficult to get a 50% concentration using a premix. It can be done with multiple d&f's with a premix till you reach a ~50% concentration. It also requires using a hydrometer, and a simple inexpensive 5 ball coolant tester like the Chaslyn. I know this because the Honda stealer used original green with a head gasket job and I used this procedure with some dealer provided Type 2 to get the green out and Type 2 in after a distilled flush series. But it is a wasteful method.

If you still want to do a complete distilled flush series and then a full strength coolant there's two coolants that would work fine in your CRV. As mentioned by mechx, Motorcraft Specialty Green from a Ford dealer, like Type2 it's an Asian P-OAT. The other is Peak Global Life full strength from Napa. The latter is an accepted alternative to the Asian coolants.

Originally Posted By: Dinosaur
I want to replace the coolant in the wife's 07 Honda CRV. on most vehicles I prefer to drain as much coolant as I can, fill with distilled water, run for ten minutes and then repeat the process until the water drains out clear. i then fill with full strength coolant for half the total capacity. Then top off with distilled water. This ensures a proper 50-50 mixture. The Honda coolant and the Zerex asian coolant look to only be available in 50% strength. So, there is no way to get a 50-50 mixture using that stuff as there is always a quart or so of water left in the system after flushing with water. How do you guys handle this dilemma? Run less than a 50-50 mix or use something that you can buy full strength? If full strength, what are you guys running in your Hondas?

Thanks...

After it is clear, just do one more flush and fill up with premix. It should be very close to 50% mix anyway

Originally Posted By: JRed
Cooling systems in CRV's aren't known to sludge up or be prone to corrosion, and I'll bet a lot of them are running on coolant that is >10 years old with no problems.

Agreed,just did my 02 yesterday at the 10 year 145k mark, including the thermostat. Coolant looked great, radiator and thermostat clean.

I have been using toyotas red full strength phosphate coolant with success. You should be able to get it at any toyota dealer. I wonder why Honda ever went away from the concentrate, probably so you will more likely get it done by the machine at the dealer?

Originally Posted By: JRed
Most people don't go anywhere near as far as you do.

Drain the radiator, refill with fresh coolant, done. Cooling systems in CRV's aren't known to sludge up or be prone to corrosion, and I'll bet a lot of them are running on coolant that is >10 years old with no problems.

This is correct for 95% of all cases.
Obviously, if there is a problem, further intrusion is necessary.

Since it's introduction, ZAF has only been available as a premix, still true. Apparently following the lead of Honda Type2 and Toyota SLL, there is no full strength ZAF. Around here ZAF at Napa runs ~$13.50, full strength PGL ~$15.50.

Honda has Type 2 Extreme Cold Weather coolant in quarts which I think is full strength. part number OL999-9020
I'm guessing only Alaskan and Canandian dealers carry it so you would have to order it.

^^^^Yes, Bernardi sells a qt. size Honda Anti-Freeze/Coolant - Type 2 Extreme Cold Weather Concentrate that sells for ~$7.40/qt. before shipping. So 2 qts ~$15.00 with some Wally distilled, somewhat less expensive than Type2 premix. Add another $17 for ground shipping to me.
crazy.gif

If one didn't want to use PGL full strength, Motorcraft Specialty Green would imo, be the best option for a full strength coolant for a Honda. Even at ~$20-23 a gallon still less expensive than Type2 in any form.

But, based on much information posted here, I'd have no problem with full strength PGL in a Honda.

Most people who don't take care of their car end up having to flush the entire system. If you've maintained your cooling system, all you would need to do is a drain and fill. I think your car takes Honda Type 2 antifreeze. It costs a little more but it's worth it because it's compatible with all of the seals and metals in your cooling system. I wouldn't mess around with a cheap coolant hoping to save an extra dollar.
Originally Posted By: Dinosaur

Thanks...

Called two local Ford dealers to check price of Motorcraft Specialty Green, ~$27.50. Not cheap, but considering it's 100% AF still much less expensive than Type 2, and about the same as ZAF as a premix.

Makes full strength PGL look like a value, and doing a distilled flush series on a 4 cylinder like CRV, not very difficult. Then have a 50+% concentration of PGL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back