Recommendations for new Honda 3.5 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone! Been a while since I've posted here but I just bought a new '12 Honda Ridgeline with the 3.5 V6 and I've been doing some research here on this engine. From what I can tell, the consensus seems to be that this engine is hard on oil.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2162747&page=1
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2187831&page=5
For '12 Honda is recommending 0w-20 instead of the 5W-20 they've recommended up to now. Is there a 0W-20 that seems to work well in the Honda 3.5? Also, am I right in that this engine is hard on oil?
What would you guys recommend for an OCI on these engines? I know about oil analysis, but with it being brand new and with wear metals taking a while to settle down and such, I'm wondering what guidelines you all have with the Honda 3.5 V6 specifically?
BTW, this vehicle does not have the cylinder shutdown feature that some Honda 3.5's have.

For the OCI, go by the MM. I go 7,500 miles and the MM is usually at 20-30%, so I change then. For oil I use 5-20 Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra. Everything is going well.

I have the '06 Ridgeline with 71k and I use syn 5w-20. No issues and it never burns oil.

Use the oil (suggest M-1 0w20)....and the OCI that is recommended by the manufacture....and based on your driving habits.

One short OCI (2500+/-) to dump any metals....would be prudent.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Use the oil (suggest M-1 0w20)....and the OCI that is recommended by the manufacture....and based on your driving habits.

One short OCI (2500+/-) to dump any metals....would be prudent.

The OCI recommended by the manufacturer is to follow the maintenance minder but it seems that some people here say that is not a very good idea with the 3.5 L V6 because it is harder on oil than most Honda engines.

Honda specifically says NOT to dump the factory fill early, but the oil analysis I quoted in my first post seemed to indicate that it would be a good idea.

Originally Posted By: mez
I have the '06 Ridgeline with 71k and I use syn 5w-20. No issues and it never burns oil.

Any sludge in the oil cap? Any that you can see if you look into the oil fill hole? The Odyssey in the above post with all that sludge in the 3.5 with 7500 synthetic OCI scares me.

How do you like your Ridgeline? I'm very impressed with the ride, drive, build quality, And the smoothness of the engine and transmission so far.

Last edited:
I am the one who posted the pictures.
That is a different engine, it is the iVTEC which shuts down 3 cyl to save fuel and in doing so gets the front bank as hot as hades.
Put that together with very severe operating conditions and you see the result.

Don't worry about it, your engine wont end up like this with regular maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I am the one who posted the pictures.
That is a different engine, it is the iVTEC which shuts down 3 cyl to save fuel and in doing so gets the front bank as hot as hades.
Put that together with very severe operating conditions and you see the result.

Don't worry about it, your engine wont end up like this with regular maintenance.

Thank you so much for the reply! So the Honda 3.5 without the cylinder deactivation shouldn't see these problems and should be able to go 7,500 mi syntheitc OCI without issue?

I did a UOA on our 0W-20 2011 VCM Accord after following the factory reommendation to follow the MM which turned out to be 6300 miles. The oil was pretty well used up with TBN of 2.0 and was loaded wiith metals. If I had to do it over again, I'd change out the FF at no more than 5,000.

I went back with Honda Genuine Full Syn 0W-20 just to be 100% true to Honda since the VCM V6 has had a history of oil consumption issues (although I've had none). I have one more OC of Honda oil then I will be switching to Toyota. I would also be comfortable using M1 in this engine.

Kalbri

Congrats on the new truck. I am jealous as I have been eyeballin a Ridgeline for quite sometime. I just havent been impressed with the EPA mpg rating on the truck compared to bigger more capable full sizes. I am however a Honda man thru and thru. For the oil I have been using the Pennzoil 0W20 in my older 3.5 Odyssey (not a 4wd vehicle mind you) and doin 7500 OCIs. The engine runs smooth as new and looks super clean under the valve cover. I have been looking at switching to the Kendall GT1 full synthetic with the liquid titanium which is closely matched to the Honda genuine 0W20 less the Titanium additive. If I can find it at a good price I will be switching both vehicles over to this oil.

Originally Posted By: 05Blazer
Kalbri

Congrats on the new truck. I am jealous as I have been eyeballin a Ridgeline for quite sometime. I just havent been impressed with the EPA mpg rating on the truck compared to bigger more capable full sizes. I am however a Honda man thru and thru. For the oil I have been using the Pennzoil 0W20 in my older 3.5 Odyssey (not a 4wd vehicle mind you) and doin 7500 OCIs. The engine runs smooth as new and looks super clean under the valve cover. I have been looking at switching to the Kendall GT1 full synthetic with the liquid titanium which is closely matched to the Honda genuine 0W20 less the Titanium additive. If I can find it at a good price I will be switching both vehicles over to this oil.

My previous 2 vehicles were more capable full sizes, a 2004 F-150 5.4 and then a 2007 Chevy Avalanche with the 5.3 and the active fuel management system. The '07 Avalanche was traded for the Ridgeline. The F-150 averaged 14.5 mpg, the Avalanche got 16, and so far the Ridgeline is getting 18.5. The EPA sticker on the Avalanche is 15/20 and the Honda is 15/21 but the Honda seems to be doing 2.5 mpg better so far. I'm not a Honda guy per se, and I had never considered never considered the Ridgeline because I think it's ugly, but.......I decided that was tired of piloting around a full size truck that takes up so much space in the garage, hard to park, etc. Just wanted something smaller. So far I am amazed with how it drives. It weighs 1,500 lbs less than the Avalanche and it feels like it. It still has great room inside, very comfortable, enough room in the bed, and I don't tow, so it fits my needs very well. Kind of kicking myself for not considering one of these 6 years ago because of its looks.

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
Does the new Pilot also have the cylinder de-activation feature?

Google is your friend.

http://automobiles.honda.com/pilot/features.aspx?Feature=ivtec

Honda has spent five years guinea-pigging their Ody and Accord customers. After the latest mods in 2011 (new oil control rings and moly impregnated piston skirts-the reason for the adamant "do not change FF early' mantra), Honda is apparently more confident in this problematic technology as it is proliferating VCM into all other V6 lines, including Acura for the first time. Just check your dip stick once in a while boys and girls! Toyota, who does not employ VCM, has apparently been watching Honda's oil consumption woes as my new Sienna states in the owners manual that 1liter/1000km is to be considered within "normal" parameters.

For some entertaining reading, try Googling 'Odyssey oil consumption'. There are a number of multiple Honda owners who have sworn them off for go od.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
Does the new Pilot also have the cylinder de-activation feature?

Google is your friend.

http://automobiles.honda.com/pilot/features.aspx?Feature=ivtec

Honda has spent five years guinea-pigging their Ody and Accord customers. After the latest mods in 2011 (new oil control rings and moly impregnated piston skirts-the reason for the adamant "do not change FF early' mantra), Honda is apparently more confident in this problematic technology as it is proliferating VCM into all other V6 lines, including Acura for the first time. Just check your dip stick once in a while boys and girls!

For some entertaining reading, try Googling 'Odyssey oil consumption'. There are a number of multiple Honda owners who have sworn them off for good.

I wonder if the Ridgeline 3.5 has the new oil control rings and moly coated piston skirts too even though it does not have VCM. Supposedly Honda made "internal friction reduction measures" in the 2012 Ridgeline engine to improve mpg slightly. Also a new alternator and some aerodynamic mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back