"Mobil 1 contains Ester"

Status
Not open for further replies.
They didn't say how much

Quote:
Question:
Straight Answer to Whether Mobil 1 is an Ester Oil
"Many synthetic oils, including Mobil 1, contain a variety of synthetic fluids, and usually this includes esters"....you did not answer the question! As a new INFINITI G37 sport owner (NISSAN) we want to know, IS MOBIL ONE AN ESTER OR ESTER BASED OIL? yes or no, not "may contain" or "usually includes" esters. We don't want to pay $12 a quart for Nissan ester 5w-30 so please answer the question.....yes it does, or no it does not.
-- Tim Youso, Lake Havasu City, AZ

Answer:
Mobil 1 contains Ester.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Does_Mobil_1_Contain_Ester_Oil.aspx

You can read this as some grades of M1 contain some Grp V, while some don't.
It was once widely specualted that M1 15W-50 had some ester content, and 0W-40 certainly could.
I doubt that the 5W-30 contains much of anything beyond Grp III.
I am only speculating, and until Mobil decides to give a straight answer to a straight question, there is no other option.

They also said M1 HM oil contains "swellers". Another controversial reply. I wonder whos behind the keyboard over there.

No oil company will tell you all their trade secreats. How much of this or that. However M1 oils are a blend of base stocks including grps 3-4-5. My guess is that blends like these provide a least as durable base stock as some so called straight 4 or 5, and I doubt there are any of these.

ZDDP is an ester. Most friction modifiers are esters. Some VI Improvers are esters, as are some other additives. And of course esters can be used as base oils. ExxonMobil's answer really says nothing.

The Nissan "Ester Oil" only contains about 1% of an ester friction modifier, not ester base oils.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You can read this as some grades of M1 contain some Grp V, while some don't.
It was once widely specualted that M1 15W-50 had some ester content, and 0W-40 certainly could.
I doubt that the 5W-30 contains much of anything beyond Grp III.
I am only speculating, and until Mobil decides to give a straight answer to a straight question, there is no other option.

That's because you don't have an Infinity G37 sport... What were you thinking?

I think it's hilarious they put that question up on their site.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
I think it's hilarious they put that question up on their site.

In a way, I don't blame them. They have a few questions on the list about the Nissan Ester stuff, and maybe posting an awful looking one might give someone some pause before asking again, but I doubt it.

They probably get peppered with nonsense questions about the Genuine Nissan Ester oil all the time. And considering the Nissan stuff isn't ester based at all yet actually uses it in the name, I suppose Mobil is quite entitled to talk about ester content in their oils, too, regardless of how small or large.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know who makes the Genuine Nissan Ester Oil? Mobil products are service fill up here at Nissan and Infiniti dealerships. However, the Mobil FAQ seems to disavow any knowledge or responsibility for the ester oil.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
They also said M1 HM oil contains "swellers". Another controversial reply. I wonder whos behind the keyboard over there.

I only hope they meant seal conditioners... But, you never know...
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: johnachak
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

I only hope they meant seal conditioners... But, you never know...
confused.gif

Maybe M1 feels their oil is a really "swell oil","Man,M1 sure is a swell oil! I think it`s the best!" haha :^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back