Opinions on Wolf's Head oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at using this in my Duramax. Can get a 10w30 for $37/case or the semi syn 15w40 for $42/case. The specs can be found HERE The 10w30 is under the super duty. The 15w40 is the extreme duty. Anybody else using it?

Todd

Wolf's Head is a trademark of Amalie Motor Oil co., a first class operation if there is one. Go for it, you can't lose.

I would like to see someone send in a sample of WH and Amalie Imperial for testing.Curious whats in them.And are they the same?

My Father ran Wolfs Head in his Toyota Celica for 300,000 miles before he gave the car to my sister. I thought this company was bought by Penzoil Years ago. Rumor was Penzoil with "pure base" was just relabelled Wolfs Head.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
My Father ran Wolfs Head in his Toyota Celica for 300,000 miles before he gave the car to my sister. I thought this company was bought by Penzoil Years ago. Rumor was Penzoil with "pure base" was just relabelled Wolfs Head.

Jeff

Wolf's Head was a Pennsylvania Co. when I first started driving in the early 1970's.
It eventually became part of Pennzoil and then SOPUS when they bought Pennzoil.
It is now owned by Amalie.
The oil your father used was probably the Pennz/SOPUS version which was a very good oil.
I once spoke (on a forum) to a guy with over 800K on a GM 3.1 and he said it ran best on Wolf's Head dino.
If I'm not mistaken the Amalie versions are on the thinner side of the grade but I'm sure they're good oils.

If anecdotal evidence is good enough to show that Wolf's Head oil is oil:
My father used the Wolfs Head 10w30 in his 91 Grand Marquis at 3,000 mile intervals from the time he bought it in 1993 until the time he gave it to my sister's ex boyfriend. This third owner was still using the Wolf's Head 10w30 but at 7,000 to 10,000 intervals the last time I talked to him, at which time the car had 280,000 miles on it. It also had two bad window motors (left rear and right front) as well as a leaky power steering pressure sensor and a sloppy steering idler arm which I assume will never be addressed. By 260,000 it had the usual leaky valve seal issue causing it to smoke on acceleration after extended idle. That was a little over two years ago. I don't know if he's still using that oil now, but he's still driving that car. Ths doesn't prove the Wolf's Head is good, but it shows that it must at least be oily.

Last edited:
Do NOT use the "super duty" in your Dmax; it is only CF rated. It is fine for use in gassers.
You can use the "extreme duty" with no issues in you LBZ.
I only mention this because you were not clear in you intent.

Other than that, WH is good oil and will do a fine job.

Last edited:
It's offered in supermarkets around here. My only beef is that their API SN/CF 10W-30 and 5W-30 advertise "safe for DPF!" And it's true, it is safe for DPFs, it's just not safe for most diesel engines!

I'm sure it's fine as long as you get the one with the right specifications.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Do NOT use the "super duty" in your Dmax; it is only CF rated. It is fine for use in gassers.
You can use the "extreme duty" with no issues in you LBZ.

VERY IMPORTANT This 10W-30 is the wrong oil for your diesel engine.

About Wolf's Head brand...this is one of the brand names that has been bought & sold. It means nothing except the standing of the company behind it. In any case, the formulation of all the oils has been changed over the years, so past results are a poor indicator of future results. If you trust Amalie, great, buy Wolf's Head. If you want Wolf's Head 'cuz granpappy used it, research deeper. Ditto for Havoline, and Pennz, and Kendall, and many other brand labels. (By the way, I like all except the WH, and that's because I know nothing about Amalie.)

Thin for grade, some of the lowest VI's I've seen and unimpressive flash points IMO. I think you can do better for less.

Don't get me wrong, if I was in a pinch and needed something to top off with I would use it but as was mentioned before there are plenty of better oils out and is only a little bit more money. If you want to use cheaper oils wait until NAPA brand goes on sale and grab as much as you can. Supertech is OK too

i purchased 7 12/1qy cases 10w40 diesel approved sn-cf for 64.20/case less 70%. 19.26$ cs. local salvage co. fits mt 90's kubota L2350

there is entirely too much [censored] about oils on this site ,for instance "i dont like WH cause i dont knpw anything about it" a well thought statement if ever there was one. I dont know anything about the back side of moon either but i like it:)

(RSP removed - MOD)
BTW, it is a good oil. Used it on and off for years. Added a case of it to my stash when a local store was running it for a buck a quart. No problems with that oil either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: ag_ghost
Originally Posted By: NateDN10
It's offered in supermarkets around here. My only beef is that their API SN/CF 10W-30 and 5W-30 advertise "safe for DPF!" And it's true, it is safe for DPFs, it's just not safe for most diesel engines!

I'm sure it's fine as long as you get the one with the right specifications.

per the comment about DPF: http://www.pqiamerica.com/Janaury 2012 test results/wolfshead.htm

I'm glad someone noticed. Hopefully they'll stop putting that misleading information on the bottle.

Glad to see this come up. I am using the 15 W 40 Extreme in my 97 7.3 Powerstroke for over 2 years now. I found my 7.3 really likes the Wolfs Head over Rotella. I know it's NOT the same as years ago, however I have faith in it. I have a sample of Used oil to send in, just never got to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back