°Help with engine stalling - 1987 Ford Van

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1987 Ford E-150 5.8L 4bbl that stalls.

It always starts when it is cold, and drives just fine - EXCEPT on hot days it will stall after about 15 minutes driving - but only when it is idling at a traffic light. Once it stalls, it will not restart for at least 20 minutes. However, once it cools down it will start right up like nothing happened.

I suspect vapor lock, but the last time it happened it was 65°F - where before it had to be in the 90's! I am hoping this was just a fluke, but I am extremely reluctant to drive it because it always stalled AT a trafic light and the dang thing is hard to push off the the side of the road - I mean it weighs over 5K!

I'm looking for both help in diagnosing the problem and possible solutions.

If fuel, an electric pump add on may help. Pulling fuel through a line in hot weather can cause vapor lock. The electric fuel pump in the MGB was installed in the rear, near the pump. Thus you have pressure in most of the line, rather than vaccuum.

Last edited:
Can you tell if if the engine is running too hot? Since it's carbureted a hot running engine whether because of low coolant, T-stat etc could lead to vapor lock. Also cleaning airbleeds with carburetor cleaner might help.

When it stalls does the engine stop as if the key was turned off or does it sag as if it is out of gas? Next time it stalls and won't run, check for spark at a plug (or maybe spray spray starting fluid into the air cleaner. If there's spark or the engine fires up on starting fluid, then you've narrowed to a fuel system problem.

IMO vapor lock is causing your stalling problem. You are probably using E10 fuel in your Ford and it has the tendancy to boil. June 1 is the changeover date to a lower RVP rating on E10 (or any fuel) in many parts of the country. Go to pure-gas.org to find a location in your state that sells 100% gas. FWIW--Oldtommy

Do you have a carburetor? Vapor lock may be a factor.
It's unlikely with any fuel injection system.
An electrical component may fail when hot - this is common. Ignition modules or coils are things to check.
Starting fluid down the throat will tell if it's fuel or ignition immediately.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Test the EGR.

Bah, won't keep a engine from restarting...

You should verify possible loss of spark... Not sure if the '87 had the infamous TFI ignition module mounted on the distributor or the separate ignition module(approx 5"x5"x2" usually on fender well) but both are prone to failure when hot... Usually get worse with time...

I would imagine its got the TFI module on the distributor.I would change it.Ford engineers stated that it cannot take the heat of being bolted to the engine (dist) but Ford did it anyway.They thought the heat sink paste would be enough to prevent problems,it wasnt.Later years they mounted it to a piece of aluminum up away from the heat of the engine.

+4 on the TFT. Also make sure your fan clutch is strong so stuff isn't overheating under the hood.

TFI modules do that. If an inline spark tester shows no spark while cranking a new module and some Arctic Silver Ceramique should get you going.

Thanks, guys.

Oh, it's a carb - and it has that electric choke which has always been a problem getting adjusted correctly.

And TFI? I'll have to check - but the more I think about it, the more I am going with the ignition. I have tried starter fluid with no results before, which would make sense if that is the problem.

I'll try to reproduce the problem while in the driveway. Stalling in traffic is not the safest way of handling the diagnosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back