Radiator Fan Motor - Any decent brands or OE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my Cavalier, I've replaced the radiator fan motor twice since I've owned it, which probably isn't too bad considering the mileage.

However, my car nearly overheated today and knowing that I have never been truly satisfied with either of the aftermarket fan motors that I've had on the car, I need to address this "janky radiator fan motor" issue and be done with it.

In looking at aftermarket electric fan motors, is there a decent brand or should I just pay up and go OEM? My gut feeling this time is to go OEM so that I know what I am getting true quality.

Are there any decent aftermarket fan motors or just pay the piper and be done with it?

Originally Posted By: qdeezie

Are there any decent aftermarket fan motors or just pay the piper and be done with it?

Do you remember the names of the aftermarket brands you used?

Have you looked on Rock Auto? They have AC Delco motors for $54 - $69, which is way more expensive than the other brands. Might be worth it.

But, I googled the part number and it looks like Amazon has them a little cheaper with free shipping.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Do you remember the names of the aftermarket brands you used?

Whatever brand Advance Auto sold two years ago. Not sure if the brand they are selling now is the same as what's on it now.

Ok, found an AC Delco unit on eBay and one on Amazon for $63 dollars and some change with Free Shipping.

I think both of those deals are reasonable enough for me to live with.

Hopefully, this replacement will last nearly 10 years the same way the original fan that came on the car did.

Regarding the Zirgo unit, I think I just found the fan I want if I ever upgrade my truck to an electric fan!

I've heard of Valeo,Four Seasons,Dorman,TYC....they are probably all made in the same place....China.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I've heard of Valeo,Four Seasons,Dorman,TYC....they are probably all made in the same place....China.

Yea....I think it's a Four Seasons unit on my car.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
Try a boneyard. You can pick up an OEM unit cheaply.

This actually isn't a bad idea, if you have any decent yards nearby.

EDIT -

I just checked the LKQ website. They have a couple big yards around me and I've bought from them before.

They would charge $35 for a fan motor to fit the OP's car.

Last edited:
A lot of modders seem to be using these and have good reviews.
I used one on a Ford a while back and its been great.
Quote:
Zirgo high torque fan motors feature sealed ball bearings and fully balanced blades which insure low noise levels and a long life of smooth operation. All Zirgo high performance cooling fans are tested several times for maximum performance and operation. You can be assured of a long life of quick, quiet, and smooth operation. Zirgo's ultra thin design and unmatchable performance, along with a limited lifetime warranty, make Zirgo the optimal fan for the ultimate vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
the ones we get are "tyco" or "tygo". made in Taiwan. only had 1 bad one in several years

Is it TYC / TYC Genera?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
the ones we get are "tyco" or "tygo". made in Taiwan. only had 1 bad one in several years

Is it TYC / TYC Genera?

Ya TYC. I have a terrible memory.

I noticed that the TYC fan motor is about $12-15 higher than the junk fan motors that I've been buying for my car. Do you think the difference is to account for the better quality of the part?

I'm ordering a TYC fan motor to see how that works out. The Four Seasons/Continental fan motors at Advance Auto and AutoZone are $22-23 and the TYC fan I'm getting new off of eBay is $35.

My thought process here is that if the cheapest TYC fan motor I can find online from a place known for low prices is higher than the fan motors I can get from a parts store, it must be better quality.

I'll follow up and let everyone know whether I made a good decision or if I'm calling this one junk and saying I should've bought AC Delco in the first place.

I received my new TYC radiator fan motor today. I will be installing it along with a new coolant temperature sensor. I figured 343,000 miles is enough for the stock coolant temperature sensor lol.

I'll be reporting back in a few days on how the TYC fan motor performs.

I received my new TYC radiator fan motor today.

So, what was the country of origin of the part? Was it Taiwan, like another member mentioned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back