Why does grass seed have to be so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of all the things in the world that are cheap, why can't grass seed be cheap too? I wish
I could buy a 50 lb. bag of Pennington Penkoted perennial rye grass seed for $10.00.

Imagine actually hybridising and harvesting the seed, keeping stray seeds out, then packing, shipping and warranting the product.

What do you want to buy seed for anyway ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow

What do you want to buy seed for anyway ?

Over here in California, we live in these suburban type sub devisions with postage stamp lawns.
The lawns should be over seeded every year or you'll start getting thin areas. I wish the Chinese
were into making inexpensive lawn seed instead of making cheap tools.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Speaking of grass, this new zoysia is pretty interesting.

Is there a new variety out that I haven't heard about?
If so, what is so "new" about it?

As someone who is familiar with grain harvesting, I can say grass seed is hard to harvest. It's small size and light weight makes threshing and separating difficult. It is very easy to lose alot of yield. Harvesting grass seed pays a big premium over grains because of the expertise required.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that land and climate suitable for grass seed would also be suitable for either corn or wheat.
Are you syaing that a farmer can make more money growing lawn grass for seed if he masters the art of threshing and separating the seed?

Grass see isn't very expensive at all, when viewd at the wholesale level. Former landscaper in college before the illegals took it over.

A few weeks ago I picked up a 50lb bag of good ol fescus and 20lb of starter fertilizer and 6 bails straw to seed a portion of a friends lawn. I still have a few friends who sell wholesale out of a John Deere landcape shop. Total bill was under $100. Grass was around $10 per lb.

Couldn't answer for other areas in the country, but the bluegrass used for low traffic lawns in my area do very well will fall overseeding. After a few years of that processs the grass tends to be thick enough it chokes out any weeds. I like it because I'm on well water and less fertalizer/weed control chemicals the better.

There is a much cheaper alternative to expensive grass seed. It's called Contractor's blend, Contractor's mix,or something similar. It's not all the same type grass, but it grows faster and seems hardier than the "pure" grasses.

If you must have a uniform appearance, then the expensive stuff is needed. But if you just need green grass.....

Originally Posted By: Kruse

Oops, was tired. I meant "my new zoysia is pretty interesting".

I've had it for about a year, cut it twice so far, watered never.

I planted grass in a section of my yard that has been left barren from the rough use by my two boxers. They really tear grass up almost by the root. I bought a bag of Scotts seed at lowes for about $59. It said on the bag it should cover 8,000 sq ft. I used half the bag on memorial day, on a area about 22x 25. It started coming up a week later, and as of today it's 4 inches tall and as full as you could want. Now I've never had luck growing grass and having it last more then a year or so and from the way this grass grew, I don't mind paying more for actual results.,,

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
I wish I could just lay down fake turf. Grass lawns are the dumbest thing ever to hit suburbia.

Thats why I dont worry much about our mix of clover, pansies ang grass that makes up our lawn.

From 10 feet away you would never know the difference anyway.

Is a nice all grass lawn a nice thing? Sure. If I could get there without a ton of chemicals, I dont mind spending some money on seed... But it seems like a bit of a waste considering the time effort and chemicals seemingly required.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

Oops, was tired. I meant "my new zoysia is pretty interesting".

I've had it for about a year, cut it twice so far, watered never.

Ah, now I understand. Around here, it gets a bad name because it is the last grass to green up in the spring. I find nothing wrong with that. The green house "expert" told me that zoysia should be cut with a reel mower. I guess that makes sense.

I wish I could just lay down fake turf. Grass lawns are the dumbest thing ever to hit suburbia.

I lived in a suburb of Dallas, TX for 10 years. There was a guy in the area who filled his whole yard with gravel and rocks. He then parked two lawn mowers in the middle of his yard that everybody could see as they drove by. I guess after the initial cost, his yard maintenance was next to zero.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
>I've had it for about a year, cut it twice so far, watered never.

You are in Seattle :)

LOL...watered constantly
grin.gif
I have visited our office there 5 times in the last 2 years--raining every time I went (could just be my luck though).

You weren't in any outdoor athletics, were you?

I first noticed it in Little League baseball. It felt cooler in the outfield than infield. (summer 1980 heat wave).

Then you get on artificial turf. I swear the turf felt hotter than the asphalt parking lot.

Grass is some 15° cooler than bare dirt and 35° cooler than turf.

Plus, I actually enjoy working on my lawn. Rather I enjoy the sense of satisfaction from a job well done and being in the group of homes that have well cared for healthy lawns.

I suppose the grass seed is expensive from having to cultivate all that grass and remove the weed and other unwanted seeds from it. Plus there is always a big warning on the bag about use in various states and I'm certain the seed companies must have a BIG retainer for legal staff to deal with all the varied legislation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back