Kreen instructions and quantity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
VW 1.8t engine wants some Kreen. Actually my engine is clean as of 5K miles ago and I'm approaching an oil change. I created a similar thread then but never got around buying Kreen and instead dumped Seafoam in the crankcase. This time I do intend to put some Kreen in the engine so I was wondering if anyone could tell me the qty to use, how to use it, and for how long?

P.S: Old old thread w/ pix of my cams

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2422841&page=1

Same thing everyone told you in the last thread.

Why bother, its useless. But if the engine wants some Kreen, save your money and check your ears because you don't need Kreen and the engine probably isn't asking for it.

Someone who doesn't speak English would say "Why Kreen your engine, its kreen already."

Last edited:
Quote:
Actually my engine is clean as of 5K miles ago and I'm approaching an oil change

Why bother adding something like that if the engine is clean?
products can be abused as well as providing benefit, this is one of those cases IMO.
A clean well maintained engine needs quality motor oil, nothing else.

^Indeed. No need for kreen. Why try to clean what is clean and lower your wear protection in some form/fashion, even potentially?

You know what, screw you all. I was really hoping someone would chime in and make me feel better because I dumped seafoam in the crankcase, again (just like last time). So there you have it. Until next OCL. Have a great Christmas!

...and you have a timing chain. The engine looked great in your previous thread.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow.
smile.gif

Quote:
You know what, screw you all. I was really hoping someone would chime in and make me feel better because I dumped seafoam in the crankcase

The engine in the other thread looks great.
If you want to throw seafoam, toilet bowl cleaner, purple power or whatever else in there that's your business but that engine doesn't need anything "extra" to clean it.
Quote:
(I dumped seafoam in the crankcase, again (just like last time). So there you have it

Its not our job to make you feel better because you choose to throw stuff in your oil and feel bad about it later.

Kreen 3oz per qt oil run 1K.

You can't solve a problem you don't have. Why the interest in Seafoam? I've not seen a lot of support for that product on BITOG.

^ short answer: Seafoam makers don't pay BITOG. I've poured the product inside a merc, audi, toyota, vw and kawi. Seafoam has outlasted most stuff discussed on BITOG anyway. It may be that seafoam isn't as caustic as people believe so its effectiveness is still up for question. I can tell you though that it didn't hurt anything but did make my oil come out dirty. But the oil getting dirty could just be a chemical reaction rather than dirt and grime getting loose.

If that were the case they'd be out of business already. If you've followed BITOG for any time you will see products come, make a huge buzz, and slowly die out. Seafoam isn't one of those because it's available everywhere and continues to sell.

Seafoam is a waste of money... If you need to clean up your engine, use Kreen. If you want to keep it clean, then use a good cleaning oil like PYB, PP, PU, etc...

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Seafoam is a waste of money...

It is in oil. However, it did a great job of cleaning out pre-1991 carbureted Hondas...

I concur on just using oils that make some cleaning claims like Pennzoil and Mobil 1 HM...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: newhandle
I was really hoping someone would chime in and make me feel better because I dumped seafoam in the crankcase, again (just like last time).

Then honestly, run your next oil out to 40,000 miles, then by the time you're back looking for some quick fix in a can to feel good about, it might actually do something, and people might actually be willing to help.

Complaining when people aren't helping you fix problems you don't have is all you're doing here.

Did my oil change today and it came out dirty. Whether Seafoam simply changes the color of oil or actually helps remove deposits is still unclear to me. My OCL was only 5K miles and I expected the oil to be a lot cleaner. I let SF float in the engine for a good 150 miles.

I'm all for trying different products whether I need them or not. I can at least provide valuable feedback to the community. So far I can attest to the fact that SF is harmless to the engine having tried it many folds.

Have you done a 5000 mile oil change where the oil wasn't black? I've never witnessed such a thing.

I would have done more than 150 miles with the Seafoam in the crankcase.....

I've been a fan of pre-OCI, as well as post-OCI treatments, in the oil....when I first got my used car(s) I would dose it per the label instructions, drive the car for 1k (on whatever oil the previous owner had in the engine.....), then change the oil, and add the proper SF dosing to the "fresh" motor oil, and ride that out for 3-5k......

After that 3k mark, the oil was really dark......but we've all learned, dark doesn't always mean a dirty engine.....it's product of the combusion process as well.....gas/dirt/etc....mixing within...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back