Motor Kote (works)

Status
Not open for further replies.
just bought this stuff, who is ready to run some non biased testS? I will supply so we can all see if it's trully a snake oil.

Do you have several UOA's on the same oil with same amount of miles in same car to compare the 3 or 4 UOA's with the Motor Kote you will be doing? Without this, you will not be "testing".

Quote:

Do you have several UOA's on the same oil with same amount of miles in same car to compare the 3 or 4 UOA's with the Motor Kote you will be doing? Without this, you will not be "testing".

No I don't, I don't even realize what a UOA is personally. I wouldn't put it in my motor since this company does seem like a serpent until I've seen independent test. I also wouldn't advise somebody putting it in there cars until the product has been tested.
crushedcar.gif

I know almost nothing about motor oil, I'm just an owner operator with one truck, I recently spent a lot of money rebuilding my diesel engine and I have a bypass filter system on it. What I’m wondering about is the claim of Motorkote that it reduces wear caused by dry starts.

I know that the debate over oil additives centers mostly around fuel savings, increase in HP, and reduction in engine wear, and that most people who are expert in the field don’t feel they are necessary.

My question is whether the MK claim of reducing wear from dry starts has any validity, since my trucking operation is not one in which the truck is constantly running – it is turned off for a day or more on a regular basis.

Here are the CAS#s and MSDS info for MK posted in 2002. It may be noteworthy that the product name has changed from Motorkote 100 to just Motorkote since then, but the MSDS has not been updated. The order is simply numeric, not necessarily by content -- I think it is all
64741-88-4 Solvent-Refined Heavy Paraffinic Distillate (Petroleum)
64742-01-4 Residual Oils, Petroleum, Solvent-Refined
64742-57-0 Residual Oils, Petroleum, Hydrotreated
64742-58-1 Lubricating Oils, Petroleum, Hydrotreated-Spent
64742-62-7 Residual Oils, Petroleum, Solvent-Dewaxed
72623-83-7 LUBRICATING OILS (PETROLEUM), C>25, HYDROTREATED BRIGHT STOCK-BASED

Seems like they use whatever they can get their hands for cheap on the day they make the stuff!!
shocked.gif

I wouldn't use it based just on that alone. Not to mention the fact that they leave out the chlorinated paraffin.

One day dry starts are no problem. Typical oil forms zinc films on the surface of metals to help with dry starts and other metal to metal contact. The only way to know if you have wear problems is with a Used Oil Analysis (UOA).

Last edited:
I think head and shoulders with 1% zinc would reduce friction alot too but its not something I want in my engine.

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, in the interest of accuracy I wanted to just add that I was in a hurry and misread the MSDS, the list I posted is not necessarily all of the ingredients in the product, just the ones classed as hazmat, and 100 ppm is not the amount of the chemical in the product -- it is a chemical hazard rating of some kind called ACGIH TLV.

Can anyone tell from the ingredients whether the product could become corrosive? Would corrosion be caused by abrasion, or extreme change in ph?

My dilemma is that I actually have a gallon jug of it and I'm trying to decide whether to put it in my truck or in my trash.

Thanks.

The stuff on the list is basic, low grade carrier oil. Otherwise known as filler. There is no reason to have all of these in the product at one time, so I believe the product could contain any combination of these, from lot to lot. Hence my post above. None of these are the "magic" ingredient of the product.

As far as corrosive, do a search for chlorinated paraffin and you will have some reading.

Apologies for bumping this unimportant subject again, I just wanted to express appreciation for explaining these things to a noob -- thanks again for taking the time to help me understand about this.

I am far to eager to accept endorsements from people I mistakenly believe I can trust, like the trucking channel on XM radio where this product is hyped, rather than taking the time and making the effort to seek expert advice before spending money on products like this.

Instead of the inane multicultural PC course most colleges demand students take I wish that, instead, an advertising/marketing 101-type class was required.

I knew something was wrong when the instructor and texts kept making excuses for the way products and services are so often marketed in the USA.

Basically, the way stuff is advertised is excused (when and where excuses are needed, which is too often in Coot opinion) as being necessary to provide the vast array of goodies available to us.

Uh, sure. One thing I never saw mentioned in those texts was how every penny in advertising costs, many billions upon billions of dollars yearly, is passed along to you, the consumer, in the costs of goods and services purchased.

Rush Limbaugh's HUGE salary? You pay it at the cash register. Celebrity endorsements? YOU pay it. The so-called free TV and radio available to you? Even if you don't utilize those media you are paying for it every time you fork over money at the cash register.

Even items you do not see advertised carry the cost of advertising. Corporate costs are spread across the product lines. You are not paying all of one product's advertising costs when you buy that one product.... the costs are even paid by generic products that are often not advertised at all.

Just as the consumer pays all business taxes as those firms pass those costs along to you.

What I learned while studying marketing and advertising soured me on the corprate structure and other stuff that creeps into politics so Coot will stop here.

ummm, learn, then speak with your wallet (note, I am not bashing the poster before me).

If I can sell you high quality H2O, then I will (market rules).

I tend to shy away from stuff that is "sold". Just give me the facts. (yeah I tend to dabble, but that is mostly a boredom kind of thing)

Last edited:
Once I hear clorinated paraffins I am out of there. I am not going to use something that may be dangerous to ME no matter how great it may or may not be in the engine. Same thing with PTFE products. PTFE may be great in a grease or a gear oil but I don't want the stuff in my engine.

And somebody above said that for the cost of using a product like this you could change your oil every 500 miles.

No thanks. I will stick to Auto-RX, conventional motor oil most of the year and synthetic oil in the wintertime.

On my gun I will use good old Hoppes No. 9 to clean the gun, Hoppes gun oil to lube it, and some good grease in critical places where the lube has to stay.

Think ill run some this stuff in my old car with a fresh oil change for a month or so then send it in for a lab report see whats up.

Originally Posted By: billybob101
Think ill run some this stuff in my old car with a fresh oil change for a month or so then send it in for a lab report see whats up.

That's great!
I don't think anyone has ever tested it before. A lot of speculation about what it is... The company claims it's a "pure synthetic, hyper-lubricant formula, containing no solids..."
Also:
MOTORKOTE Hyper Lubricant is safe and effective, period.

MOTORKOTE Hyper Lubricant does NOT alter the SAE Rating of the base lubricant.

MOTORKOTE Hyper Lubricant does NOT contain Teflon, silicone, graphite, molybdenum, or any other harmful substrate chemicals.

MOTORKOTE Hyper Lubricant has NO long or short term corrosive effect on metal.

MOTORKOTE Hyper Lubricant does NOT void warranties and is environmentally friendly when used as directed.

What could it be?
21.gif
Can't wait to find out.
thumbsup2.gif

My general take on such additives is that they can and do produce some results. As was stated (way back in time) previously, they tend to cost so much that they outstrip the benefit by a healthy multiplier. You spend a 3:1 ratio in a loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back