Motor Kote (works)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only post this about this additive, because I believe that this is one that really does have benifits. Here is a portion of the following article from MotorKote. I have used this product before, as it is all synthetic fluids. Anyone else run this. I used it in Power S. Engine and Transmission.

Oil Additives

The question that begs to be asked is do oil additives increase lubricity? Let's put it to the test. I tested all the additives in the same manner as the oils for lubricity. STP, Lucus, Motorcraft friction modifier, Dura Lube and Slick 50 all scored at or below 50 Ft/lbs of torque required to reach their weld point. All of these additives are almost equal to the lubricity of engine oils tested right out of the bottle, with the first four slightly worse than the lowest of the engine oils. So by putting in these additives you would be actually decreasing lubricity. Plus you are required to add additional product every fluid change therefore increasing your maintenance costs. One of the exceptions to the rule is the Slick 50, which is unclear to how often you need to add it but it states on the bottle that it comes with a 50,000 mile warranty if you follow their instructions on the card included.

It's interesting to note that during the process of writing this article I received a letter and a second check for $4.09 with left over monies from the Dura Lube settlement administrator of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) for claim# FTC-DUR-255349-0. In the FTC's view, Dura Lube companies did not have sufficient evidence that their engine treatments work as claimed. The FTC alleged that the companies make unsupported claims that Dura Lube reduces engine wear, prolongs engine life, reduces emissions, improves gas mileage, reduces the risk of serious engine damage when oil pressure is lost, and that one treatment of Dura Lube lasts for 50,000 miles. The case was settled April 2000. Although the Dura Lube companies did not admit any wrongdoing, they agreed to discontinue the challenged advertising claims and to pay $2 million for redress to consumers who bought Dura Lube engine treatment. For copies of the FTC complaint and consent agreement in the case are available at www.ftc.gov or from the FTC's Consumer Response Center by calling toll free 877-fTC-HELP (877-382-4357).

The Royal Purple Max-Tuff assembly lube tested 72 ft/lbs. I mainly tested it because the mail order company sent it to me by mistake and I was curious about its lubricity. The last two products performed the highest but Motorkote clearly was superior in lubricity. Prolong comes in a deluxe car care kit containing 5 items; engine, transmission, fuel treatments and a penetrating spray lubricant and precision oilier. You get all that for $24.73 at Walmart. I averaged the 3 treatment products at $8.24 each and figured you get the penetrating spray and oilier for free. Another interesting note is that on the Prolong packaging it states "The patented Prolong formula interact with metal surfaces through a molecular and chemical process, helping to create a unique, superior resistance to extreme friction, heat and wear." The bold and underlined words are blacked out with permanent marker on all of the boxes in the store. I was unable to get an answer from Prolong but it appears Prolong also is retracting some of its performance claims.

Prolong scored a 100 ft/lbs of torque for 10 seconds until the spinning wheel stopped on the tester. Motorkote was held at 120+ ft/lbs of torque for 3 minutes and didn't stop. I could only apply 120-125 ft/lbs of torque for that period of time until my arm felt like is was going to fall off. The spinning wheel didn't stop and I could not get the wheel to stop at any time. Motorkote literature claims that it will withstand 600 ft/lbs of torque without stopping with the use of a weighted bearing tester. As with Prolong the race began to smoke when it got hot but Motorkote kept on spinning where Prolong stopped. I didn't have a way to determine the exact temperature however it was very hot to the touch through the rag I was using to clean the wheel. Whether it's 120 ft/lbs or 600 ft/lbs it is clear that Motorkote reduces friction and increases lubricity, therefore increasing gas mileage and horsepower. David E. Persell, Ph.D. Inventor and President of Motorkote, Inc. says "Motorkote 100® dramatically reduces friction; if you reduce friction you reduce heat; if you reduce heat you reduce wear."

Oil Additives

Oil Brand Type Price Quantity Amount & Frequency Lbs/ft.
STP E $3.14 15 FL.OZ. 10%-every fluid change 40
Lucas E,G,C,A,G $5.99 32 FL.OZ. 20%-every fluid change 40
Motorcraft F $3.99 4 FL.OZ. 2oz/qt every fluid change 40
Dura Lube E $12.34 32 FL.OZ. 20% every fluid change 42
Slick 50 E $13.84 32 FL.OZ. 20% every 50,000 miles 50
Royal Purple A $5.99 8 FL.OZ. 100% during assembly 72
Prolong E,T $8.24 20 FL.OZ. 8oz/Trans &12oz/Engine
every fluid change 100
10/sec.
Motorkote E,T,G,C,P,A,G $14.95 8 FL.OZ. 5% every 50,000 miles 120+
After 3 minutes it didn't stop
Type Key: E=Engine, G=Gear Boxes, T=Transmissions, C=Transfer Case, P=Power Steering, A=Assembly Lube, F=Friction Modifier, S=Grease.

Motorkote is a pure synthetic concentrated additive, not diluted with regular motor oil and comes with complete application guidelines on the bottle when most of the other products are a little unclear. Motorkote can be used any place oil or grease is used including hydraulics and two & four-stroke engines, firearms, and air compressors, and fishing equipment. The bottle says "This One Really Works!" and they are right. It was by far the most lubricating additive I could find. It works with polymer adherent compounds and bonds to all moving parts and lasts up to 50,000 miles. Motorkote treats the engine via oil. By bonding to the moving parts it protects on start-ups and idling, when oil pressure is low and at full throttle. When added to any oil it increases the weld point of any organic or synthetic oil.

When choosing the oil that is right for you there are many aspects to look at when deciding; organic or synthetic, blended or full synthetic, grade, driving climate, city / highway or off road. Keep in mind that a synthetic blend can have as little as 10 to 20 percent synthetic in it and still is called a blend. You must check with the manufacture to find out exactly the percentage of synthetic in your oil.

Summary

Everybody is concerned with protecting the equipment and keeping it running economically and in peak performance. If we all can agree that the cleaner/newer the oil, the higher the viscosity and total oil base number, and the lower the oil oxidation, soot loading and wear metals. Compiled with the lower chance of coolant, dirt, fuel, and water contamination. Therefore better lubrication with lower risk of damage and wear to your PSD. It might be more expensive in labor to change your oil more frequently but if you use the least expensive manufacture "certified" oil with the Motorkote additive your total maintenance cost will be lower than the price of the synthetics with hope of longer drain intervals. But, extended oil drains intervals are another article.

When you look at just the numbers and take out the hype you can make an informed decision and lubricate according to your specific need and driving situation. If you're like me, you want your PSD to last a long time and perform at its best every time. If seeing is believing, after using a bearing tester on your favorite high dollar synthetic and just an off-the-self organic, you too should question the lubricity of all your oils when compared to price. I hope this article has shed some light on the subject and helps you make an informed decision. Keep it cool, clean and well lubed! My next article is a simple test for fuel treatments. You can scientifically see which ones work and which ones don't and you will be surprised.

Reprinted with with authors permission

[ August 23, 2003, 07:14 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Heard Miltec is another iffy oil additive. Autospeed did good test with the product in 6 different applications; Conclusion?

"However, the lack of any noticeable improvement in some of our test examples, and the way in which the obvious improvements were not maintained, makes us reluctant to recommend this product."

So yeah, there u go i guess...

MotorKote is a long chain paraffin which will cause corrosion over time due to the breakdown of the long chain paraffin.

Using Schaeffer's oil with Moly in a clean engine will give you the same or better friction reduction capabilities and will not corrode.

quote:

Originally posted by fanskar:
Motor Kote doesn’t contain chlorine therefore it won’t corrode. There is no better friction reducer on the market.

fanskar,
Your explaination isn't good enough. Here on BITOG, we need to know what IS in every product and WHY it works...or doesn't work as it claims.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:
MotorKote is a long chain paraffin which will cause corrosion over time due to the breakdown of the long chain paraffin.

Using Schaeffer's oil with Moly in a clean engine will give you the same or better friction reduction capabilities and will not corrode.

Motor Kote doesn’t contain chlorine therefore it won’t corrode. There is no better friction reducer on the market.

quote:

Ok, you seem to have some inside track on this, why don't you take a moment and explain EXACTLY what you know that makes your statement true. Do you have any information that provides you with facts showing where it doesn't corrode? You make a bold statement that there IS NO BETTER FRICTION reducer on the market. Are you sure? what information have you got to support that statement of fact?. This is your chance to prove your comments and shine. That's what and how we learn so bring it on and teach us something about this product other than the basic sales hype we see. Thanks.

"There is no better friction reducer on the market."

yep fanskar, that's a pretty bold first post on a board with A LOT of authority on chemistry and the physical properties of both solid and liquid lubricants. This isn't use.net or some other forum full of cranks, spam and other flotsam.

I'd love to see you back what you said up, though.
dunno.gif

Oh, and there are other corrosives besides chlorine. So this statement is false:

"Motor Kote doesn’t contain chlorine therefore it won’t corrode."

wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:

Is this stuff Both a treatment in a bottle or a treatment by a coating placed on parts?

Anyone use this stuff, and how much gas milage did you see and for how long?

And if anyone was using a premium oil with hi moly, did you see a better milage after using this stuff?

quote:

There is no better friction reducer on the market

I'm the king of the Earth.

What? This isn't the B old, O utrageous, G oofy and U tterly-ridiculous S tatements forum?

Oops Sorry.

[ August 25, 2003, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: crashz ]

Oilmeup,

It would have been more educational if you had given us some background on this article and who the author might be.

"Prolong scored a 100 ft/lbs of torque for 10 seconds until the spinning wheel stopped on the tester. Motorkote was held at 120+ ft/lbs of torque for 3 minutes and didn't stop. I could only apply 120-125 ft/lbs of torque for that period of time until my arm felt like is was going to fall off. The spinning wheel didn't stop and I could not get the wheel to stop at any time. Motorkote literature claims that it will withstand 600 ft/lbs of torque without stopping with the use of a weighted bearing tester. As with Prolong the race began to smoke when it got hot but Motorkote kept on spinning where Prolong stopped. I didn't have a way to determine the exact temperature however it was very hot to the touch through the rag I was using to clean the wheel. Whether it's 120 ft/lbs or 600 ft/lbs it is clear that Motorkote reduces friction and increases lubricity, therefore increasing gas mileage and horsepower. David E.
Persell, Ph.D. Inventor and President of Motorkote, Inc. says "Motorkote 100® dramatically reduces friction; if you reduce friction you reduce heat; if you reduce heat you reduce wear.""

Sounds like a Timken tester similar to the one Schaeffer's hands out to its sales staff.

He incorrectly identifies ft./lbs as torque, which is lb.ft (N.m). What he is doing is using a lever arm to create a "force" of so many pounds on a pin bearing down on a spinning wheel, with the spinning wheel (a beaering race) in an oil bath. The Timken test is primarily an AW/EP wear test, and not a friction reduction test.

I think that most people here are more interested in weather or not it is corrosive if left in the engine past 3000 miles!!! I am also interested in weather it has PTFE or any other solids. I do not want ptfe or any solids in my engine!

On doing a search on google I found a reference ( a few years old) to Motorkote having PTFE in it. Of course this may have changed. Their website doesn't give any clue as to want is in this stuff. Not helpful at all IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back