What oil to use in L67 GM 3800 Supercharged Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the process of installing a engine in my regal GS its a low mileage engine it looks well taken care of.The oil cap says 10w30 but many high performance sites suggest 5w30 for longevity and performance.I have always used dino oil they have been all used vehicles I have always used castrol GTX and done 3000 miles changes.I have been thinking about using syn in this engine and want some input? GM recommends mobil 1 but some of the testing I've seen didnt look real great to me? Does 5w30 sound like something i want to do? and why? What is a good syn or blend thats cheap? Or should i stick with Castrol gtx or their syn blend? I am going to mild mod this engine and want it to hold up.I saw auto Rx recommends Castrol or Rotella why did they say that? Has to be a reason??

Either 10W-30 or 5W-30 will be fine. The 3800 engines are virtually bullet proof. The 5W-30 will probably make cold starts during the Michigan winters a bit easier, so that's what I would use. You could even consider a 0W-30 for that.

Conventional versus synthetic is mainly going to be determined by a) what length of OCI you want to run, and b) your personal preference and general budget for oil. I don't think you'll notice any difference between brands. Just pick a quality oil that is API certified.

I had a 98 Grand Prix GTP that I sold at 140K. We also had a 99 Grand Prix GT that I sold at 175K. I ran whatever name-brand 10W-30 conventional I could get cheap for 3K mile intervals. (I wasn't yet a BITOG member and didn't know any better.) The engines never had an oil-related problem. The GTP had the rear-main replaced at 106K and the GT had the trans rebuilt at 172K, but otherwise those cars ran strong. I really miss the GTP. It was a black coupe and the supercharger was great!

Pennzoil is pushed hard on this site there is so many pages i cant read them all.Whats up with the pennzoil that makes it so good? Whats the difference between the platinum and ultra? Where is the best places to get it and how much does it run?

Last edited:
I have a 98 Regal GS with 77,000miles on it and I use 10w30 Mobil 1 in it, no problems. I change it every 6 to 7k.

This is an internet forum..ie lots of opinions... For me, recommending it, it is cheap, easy to get and is a decent oil.. Ultra vs Plat??? I have never read a solid answer.

Originally Posted By: jsnyder49090
Pennzoil is pushed hard on this site there is so many pages i cant read them all.Whats up with the pennzoil that makes it so good? Whats the difference between the platinum and ultra? Where is the best places to get it and how much does it run?

Pennzoil has proven itself with I don't how many UOAs. It's just a solid formulation. I like Platinum over Ultra because simply because it's lighter.
Most auto parts stores and Walmart carry it.
As I mentioned if it's not readily available where you shop, then any 5W-30 synthetic bought on sale is fine.

I Have a 2004 GTP with 120k and i use pennzoil high mileage for a 5k oil change. its the engine really clean and runs quiet smooth for mostly city driving

Thanks guys i know i will feed it 5w30 i just dont know what kind i heard some of the mobile 1 is good also.The pennzoil seems to be very popular i may give it a try...

sick.gif
Mobil 1 is overratted stick with pennzoil. I been hearing mobil is the reason why the timing chains on the GM 3.6VVTi engine been stretching

General Motors specifiy 20W-50 for this engine in my 1997 Caprice, with 15W-40 allowable in cold conditions.

I run 5W-30 (Nulon Long-Life synthetic HDMO/PCMO rated) at the present. After LIM gasket, it will be whatever quarter bottles I've got for a fortnight, the Calibre 5W-30 synthetic (house brand to Supercheap Auto stores, made by Caltex).

I don't think that GM ever specified 5w30 for the 3800 from the factory, so if you're going to stay with conventional or synthetic blends, stay with 10w30. But like many have said, any good full-synthetic 5w30 will be OK. I really like M1 5w30 High Mileage. It's a little more stout in the HTHS and anti-wear categories than regular M1.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I don't think that GM ever specified 5w30 for the 3800 from the factory

I'm not 100% sure, but I think in the final years before it was retired, it was spec'd for 5W-30. I also recall being told by the dealer (so take that for what it's worth) that my 98 Grand Prix GTP had been back-spec'd when I noticed they put 5W-30 in after fixing the rear main. But with that said, I always filled them with 10W-30 dino and never had any issues.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I don't think that GM ever specified 5w30 for the 3800 from the factory, so if you're going to stay with conventional or synthetic blends, stay with 10w30. But like many have said, any good full-synthetic 5w30 will be OK. I really like M1 5w30 High Mileage. It's a little more stout in the HTHS and anti-wear categories than regular M1.

Hey Shannow have you tried the latest (Titanium gimmick) Castrol Edge 5w30 SL version in this engine ?

"General Motors specifiy 20W-50 for this engine in my 1997 Caprice, with 15W-40 allowable in cold conditions.

I run 5W-30 (Nulon Long-Life synthetic HDMO/PCMO rated) at the present. After LIM gasket, it will be whatever quarter bottles I've got for a fortnight, the Calibre 5W-30 synthetic (house brand to Supercheap Auto stores, made by Caltex)."

Hey Shannow have you tried the latest (Titanium gimmick) Castrol Edge 5w30 SL version in this engine ?

Last edited:
I own a 2004 Impala SS(supercharged) and the oil cap states to use 5W30. It currently has 5W30 PP in it and it runs great.

My son owns a 2003 Monte Carlo SS(non SC)(59K miles)and also runs on 5W30 PP. Under the cap, it is as clean as new.

My sons oil cap states 10W30, so for 2004 GM changed it to 5W30...

The 3800 engine seems to love Pennzoil Plat in both of these cars and I would use 5W30...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back