Nissan expands its new tire-pressure monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard about this on the radio today. Thought it was pretty neat
idea.

Nissan's system takes the individual readout for each tire one step further -- it signals when the tire reaches the recommended pressure, no tire gauge needed.

The pressure sensor in each wheel communicates with the car's body-control computer. When air is added to a tire, the car's parking lights flash three times to let you know the system is active. (Note: The ignition has to at least be in the accessory position for the system to work.)

When the tire sensor reads that the proper pressure is reached, it briefly sounds the car horn. That's the signal to stop adding air. If the tire is overinflated, the car horn chirps three times -- a signal that some air should be let out. When the recommended pressure is reached, the horn chirps again.

http://www.shopautoweek.com/articles/201...ets-easier.html

That is pretty cool... for the layman.
smirk.gif
I imagine there has to be a +/- PSI buffer that is broader than what I prefer. I'm picky and like to inflate exactly to the desired/recommended pressure, as verified by a good gauge.

kitt.gif

Does your car do this if you use nitrogen?
lol.gif

Seriously I wish cars had a better way of communicating than horns. I could see this distracting laypersons like tire store employees topping off a customer's car while they sit inside gabbing on the phone with the radio on.

That's just stupid lazy....go Nissan give American'ts a reason to be less self reliant and even more lazy..

Nothing but more problems, You can't be that lazy to just read the tire gauge? I'm sure in a warm climate this might work fine, bring it to Wisconsin where we have 40 below temps. in winter and see how good it work's in a few years
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: boosted
I'm sure in a warm climate this might work fine, bring it to Wisconsin where we have 40 below temps. in winter and see how good it work's in a few years
wink.gif

So I don't get that statement. It sounds like what you're saying is that TPMS won't work well after a few years in a cold climate. I have to believe that this new system is simply an enhancement to the body control module (or similar systems) which now does something based on the TPMS reading.

My last Toyota had no tranny dipstick. You had to wait for the AT temp light to start flashing to show the level, so you had to add some oil, then look at the light.

I would have been a lot better if it honked the horn when the proper level was reached.

The thinking and the idea itself is not flawed. But this adds another basic safety task to list of other tasks people have become relent upon technology to tell them do. Technology is great and it has made our quality of life better but at some point everyone will have to make a logical decision for themselves and will be unable to because we have been conditioned to listen to what the computer tells us to do.

I wouldn't want it on my vehicle. I set my tires about 3 psi above for better handling. The horn chirping would be annoying.

I could fill all four tires to pressure before a person could fill using the blinker method.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to include a free $10 tire gauge to every new owner? ..Come on bean counters...at least think it through...

hey smokescreen, I'm waiting for an invention for a sensor to monitor blinker fluid levels myself. cars have a sensor for everything now a days.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
sounds like a solution looking for a problem

My thoughts exactly.

That is an issue if you are like many folks they don't stick to the recommended pressures because they want a bit more tire life or slightly better handling with a few extra pounds.

I agree also that this method sounds agonizingly slow and awkward to use. A accurate pencil gauge is faster and probably more accurate too.

Yep, this is just another way to indulge the laziness of American car owners.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
sounds like a solution looking for a problem

No it isnt. I see multiple cars a week with overinflated tires. Which is anywhere in the 40-100+ range for P-rated tires. I dont know what the true pressure of that one car was, because our gauges max at 100psi. 40-70 is more common. I think many people when they actually do add air, they keep adding air until the tires don't 'look' flat.

All my cars are old enough so that none has TPMS, and I hate TPMS. It's another "smart equipment" forced onto car owners because few idiots didn't maintain their cars.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
No it isnt. I see multiple cars a week with overinflated tires. Which is anywhere in the 40-100+ range for P-rated tires. I dont know what the true pressure of that one car was, because our gauges max at 100psi. 40-70 is more common. I think many people when they actually do add air, they keep adding air until the tires don't 'look' flat.

What's wrong with 40psi? I tend to run that. Door sticker says something like 29/36psi front/rear for my car; the tire shop generally inflates to 32psi. I prefer 36 to 40 psi. 42psi seems to wear the center tread too fast; so I inflate to 40psi and reinflate at 35psi or so. Seems to get decent wear, but this VW has yet to get more than 40kmiles out of a set.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen

Wouldn't it be cheaper to include a free $10 tire gauge to every new owner? ..Come on bean counters...at least think it through...

Can't blame the bean counters for this one. I'm sure the programming and type of sensor per vehicle far exceeds a $10 tire gauge.

Most gas-station air compressors don't have gauges! So what are you supposed to do, fill it up a bit, check, fill a little more, check, ...? That's why most people just fill the tires until they don't look flat anymore, and that's why tire pressures are so inconsistent!

If you have a compressor with a gauge on it, this is redundant, but if it's accurate, it doesn't sound like a problem. It also sounds like it's only active while you're filling the tires, not all the time.

This "new feature" is not that much of a technology enhancement. All they did was program the BCM to beep at a pressurvalue that is already enabled in the TPMS system. The TPMS alreaady know the pressure - so programming allows the horn to beep. No big deal at all.

The part that concerns me is how good will this work in real life since TPMS are slower to read and update pressure than the air hose putting in the air. I can look at he PSI display on my vehioles and add air, but the readings are slightly behind.

I will keep the tire gauge
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I hate TPMS.

Really!? You hate the concept of TPMS!? That just seems silly. I keep our vehicles in very good repair and check often for proper tire pressure, but I certainly like TPMS to help me ensure that my tires are always inflated correctly. I certainly don't whip out a gauge and check each tire every time I go someplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back