Scratches on new rotors, normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Just did my brakes a few days ago... Replaced with Powerslot Rotors and Hawk HPS pads. I noticed on my rear rotor, there appears to be a scratch along the entire circumference of the rotor face. It is very visible, but you can't feel it with a fingernail or anything. Is this normal to happen when bedding in new brakes/rotors? Pads were clean as well as rotors when installed. I am thinking it may of just been a high point on the brake pad or something. I figure anything small would of been carried out by the slots on the rotors if it would cause damage. I see some faint, smaller ones on the other rotors, but not nearly as noticeable.

Normal? Again, you can't feel any scratch or anything. Just visually see it. Nothing "catches" on it if you run it across it.

Last edited:
Rotors and pads don't wear perfectly flat.
Minor anomalies in the surface are normal.

Pretend that you have expensive slotted rotors!

Last edited:
^^^Psst! He has "powerslot" rotors!

Sounds very minor. Rotors can get very heavy grooves if you run a pad that is too aggressive and don't heat it up good. Slots are only used where the pads have issues with easy driving, seldom needed on most cars.

Depends on the pad, I've seen mirror finish rotors from my trucks and others with grooving, same truck, weight, etc.

Thanks guys!

Went with the powerslot rotors only because I have used them in the past on my girlfriends car and were extremely well made. Not a fan of the auto-zone and other comparable chinese made stuff. I got a good deal on all my rotors/pads for something like $350 shipped to my door. As expected, the rotor quality is incredible. Machining, coatings, etc... Second time I have been nothing but impressed.

I did not buy them for the slots
grin2.gif

But yeah, I just wanted to make sure no issues, thats all. Being a little anal because I don't want to ruin brand new brakes/rotors! Wanted to make sure these was no problemo.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xBa380
Not a fan of the auto-zone and other comparable chinese made stuff.

Where were your rotors made?

Here are pictures to show the markings. First two are the rear wheel I am talking about compared to the final image, the front brake.

6M3C5393.jpg

6M3C5394.jpg

6M3C5395.jpg

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

From Tirerack:

Starting with select castings manufactured in Italy and the U. S. , all Power Slot rotors are CNC machined to application specific tolerances that utilize a patent pending tapered-slot technology to create a vent for brake dust and pad gasses while preserving rotor strength.

I sent an email to Powerslot/Centric directly to see if they will give me a direct answer as well.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Eventually the cross-hatch marks will be worn away. You will love the Hawk HPS pads as the best compromise for street use. Enjoy! FWIW--Oldtommy

2oldtommy,

Not worried about the cross-hatch marks
smile.gif
Just the deeper single groove running around the rotor
banana2.gif

I dig the combo so far... The hawk HPS pads feel great! The more I use them the better they feel they break-in!

Hate to say it but I would bet there is either something in the pad (minor defect) or you got something on it in the driveway.

It is awfully small, put 1000 miles on her and call us the following morning!

Yeah, I will see how it looks after some more time! If I start to feel something there, I will remove the wheel and check the pad surface directly. Otherwise I won't worry about it. I see some smaller ones on the other rotors, but not at large. So I am thinking it just may be normal high/low points while they break in.

Thanks for the help!

Normal. I had a similar scratch show up after new EBC rotors and new Motorcraft pads. Now there are lots of scratches since mud and dirt are making up part of the friction material.

Wheels are way to clean.

Maybe its just me, but I would rather spend my self allotted mechanical time on my boat, boat trailer or Bobcat than keeping the vehicle's wheels that clean.

I also live on a dirt road and I have a dirt drive. Maybe its a no-win situation for keeping my vehicles clean.

But they do look nice.

Originally Posted By: xBa380
Originally Posted By: stephen9666

From Tirerack:

Starting with select castings manufactured in Italy and the U. S. , all Power Slot rotors are CNC machined to application specific tolerances that utilize a patent pending tapered-slot technology to create a vent for brake dust and pad gasses while preserving rotor strength.

But what do the boxes for the rotors say? They should be marked with a country of origin. I'm always interested in finding COO info.

The description on Tire Rack could be outdated. As far as I know, there aren't any aftermarket brake rotor foundries in the US anymore.

Tire Rack has posted incorrect/outdated country of origin info before. An example, the Hankook H727 tires. They claimed they were made in China and Korea. I emailed Hankook and they said Chinese H727 tires aren't sold in the US. I ordered a set and sure enough, my tires were Korean.

Centric should respond. They responded when I asked them about a year ago regarding rotors for my Sonata. Their answer, if memory serves, was that they were Chinese blanks that were machined in the US.

Centric Email back to me:

"Our rotors are sourced from foundries worldwide in order to meet our volume requirements. All of the finished blank rotor castings are sent to our Southern California facility for final machining of drills or slots."

On the boxes, there is no country of origin anywhere on them.

I emailed them back asking specifically if China is one of their worldwide foundry locations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back