Any Info FL500S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any info on ford FL500S oil filter? I wonder why ford is not using FL820 on the new 5.0 engines It looked like a good filter. You could use the performace filter in place of the 820s and it was real good filter. There is no performace filter for FL500S? Is the FL500S a replacement for the FL400S?

Originally Posted By: YANCEY
Is there any info on ford FL500S oil filter? I wonder why ford is not using FL820 on the new 5.0 engines It looked like a good filter. You could use the performace filter in place of the 820s and it was real good filter. There is no performace filter for FL500S? Is the FL500S a replacement for the FL400S?

The FL500S is a replacement for the FL820 as far as I can tell. It's a long-life filter with a silcone ADBV intended for 10,000 mile OCI's on the 5.0 liter Coyote engine.

The bypass for the 500S is set @ 8 psi; on the 820S it's set at twice that (16 psi).

I honestly don't know why they spec one vs. the other. I imagine that oil pump displacement plays a part. While I doubt it's a huge deal, I think I'd stick with the one that's specified (or an aftermarket that meets the specs).

820S will screw on to a 500S placement as long as it has enough room. I do this with the Fusion so I dont have to stock another filter.

I think they are just specifying a smaller filter now like other manufacturers. I suspect it is some EPA thing regarding the amount of oil left in oil filters though I have no confirmation. Other manufacturers are moving to smaller equivalent filters for various engines or have already. An example is the 3.8L in Caravans was PH16 for the longest time. Then all of a sudden in 08? or thereabouts, it switched to a PH3614 which is the smallest filter in that family.
It wouldnt surprise me if Ford switched many 500S vehicles to the PH10060 size which is about half as tall as the 500S. It is currently used on GM Trucks and various Chrysler vehicles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

I suspect it is some EPA thing regarding the amount of oil left in oil filters though I have no confirmation.

While this has no basis in fact, I'm sure many will just read it as truth and consider it another example of the gub'ment stealing our freedoms and making us use tiny oil filters...

It would probably be best to consider actual facts, like the fact that the bypass valve is set at half of the pressure, and then make a determination.

Originally Posted By: JOD
The bypass for the 500S is set @ 8 psi; on the 820S it's set at twice that (16 psi).

I honestly don't know why they spec one vs. the other. I imagine that oil pump displacement plays a part. While I doubt it's a huge deal, I think I'd stick with the one that's specified (or an aftermarket that meets the specs).

So the 500s bypass at 8psi so that means the filter is in bypass until the engine oil pressure reachs 8psi, Then there is NO filteration when the enine starts right??

It's in bypass when the engine starts, but I believe it's a differential bypass valve. Meaning its in bypass when the pressure between the inside & outside of the filter is > 8 psi. The other time its in bypass would be high rpms.

Originally Posted By: Joenpb
It's in bypass when the engine starts, but I believe it's a differential bypass valve. Meaning its in bypass when the pressure between the inside & outside of the filter is > 8 psi. The other time its in bypass would be high rpms.

I wonder why at high RPM'S. What is causing it to go into bypass at high RPM'S?

The FL500 was designed by Ford to replace the FL400. However Ford got cold feet and didn't end up using that across the board. There has never been a move to get rid of the FL820 according to my sources. Keep in mind it wasn't designed to be a direct filter replacement...Ford was moving the current lineups that were on the 400 to the FL500. They are not interchangeable.

Most of the oil filter manufacturers believed the FL500 would be more popular than it is today, but I would bet the 500 will be more available in premium constructions in the future. For right now though:

Mobil 1 = M1-212
Royal Purple = 20-500
K&N = HP-2011
PureOne = PL22500

Originally Posted By: Joenpb

I wonder why at high RPM'S. What is causing it to go into bypass at high RPM'S?

Higher oil flow volume. The volume coming out the oil pump increases with engine RPM. Not all filters will go into bypass at high engine RPM. Depends on many factors: a) Oil viscosity, b) Filter flow resistance (becomes greater as filter loads up with crud), c) Oil pump volume output vs. engine RPM and d) Oil pump max pressure relief setting.

A filter may not necessarily go into bypass on a cold start either for the same reasons.

Originally Posted By: Hannibal
There has never been a move to get rid of the FL820 according to my sources.
I hope your sources are reliable. I don't want to have to stockpile 10 years worth of FL820S filters.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Hannibal

The FL500 was designed by Ford to replace the FL400. However Ford got cold feet and didn't end up using that across the board. There has never been a move to get rid of the FL820 according to my sources. Keep in mind it wasn't designed to be a direct filter replacement...Ford was moving the current lineups that were on the 400 to the FL500. They are not interchangeable.

Most of the oil filter manufacturers believed the FL500 would be more popular than it is today, but I would bet the 500 will be more available in premium constructions in the future. For right now though:

Mobil 1 = M1-212
Royal Purple = 20-500
K&N = HP-2011
PureOne = PL22500

Eh? The FL400 and the FL500 have different threads (one is inches, one is metric) so there's no replacement possible. The FL400 interchanges with a number of other Ford filters like the FL1A while the FL500 interchanges with the FL820. The FL500 also interchanges with the PF48, for those of you that want to run the GM UPF48R filter off the LS7/9 engines.

Originally Posted By: jaj
The FL500 also interchanges with the PF48, for those of you that want to run the GM UPF48R filter off the LS7/9 engines.
Blasphemy! Heresy! Use a GM filter on a Ford motor?

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

ROFL..."who you gonna call?"

Originally Posted By: jaj
The FL500 also interchanges with the PF48, for those of you that want to run the GM UPF48R filter off the LS7/9 engines.
Blasphemy! Heresy! Use a GM filter on a Ford motor?

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

ROFL..."who you gonna call?"

That just made my day.

Originally Posted By: BMWR1150GS
I use a fl400 on my Windstar 3.8 V6 and Mobil1 5-30 with OCIs of 10K miles. Can I safely substitute the FL500 is this application?

No. The FL-400s uses a 3/4 x 16 thread and I believe the FL500 crosses to the FL-820s which is metric.

The FL-400S is a great filter, but you can downsize to an FL-910 if you wish but I don't know why you'd want to. If you want to get crazy big an FL-1a will also work, but again I'd stick with the FL-400s it's awesome as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back