Mopar ATF+4 in Mercedes class-A , transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone used Mopar ATF+4 in Mercedes class-A 722.7 5-speed automatic transmission? the fluid suppose to meet only MB 236.10 spec.

I found out Mopar ATF+4 has similar viscosity indexes:

Type | Viscosity | @ 40C | @ 100C

Mopar ATF+4: 33.24 , 7.51

Shell SPIRAX S4 ATF 3403: 33.0 , 7.2 (MB 236.10 officially approved, but it seems to be only available in barrels)

While these following fluids are too thin i think:

Mobil ATF 134: 29.6 , 6.5 (MB 236.14 and backward compatible with 236.10)
Maxlife ATF: 30.3 , 6.3 (MB 236.10 compatible)

In another car with honda legend transmission i use Mopar ATF+4 instead of overpriced ATF Z1 with good results.

But what about Mercedes? Thanks for any input, but i understand if nobody has any experience, maybe class-A (W168) is not popular in US.

Last edited:
The problem with backward compatibility is only when this unit is used in the W168. When used in other bodies it can use Shell 134
The reason is because the A class is FWD so its probably lubing the differential as well. MB must feel the heavier fluid is required.

Personally i would just go for a 20 litre drum of Shell 3403 for ca 130 Euros. This should be enough for a couple of line off fluid exchanges.
The 5 speeds are the first and last on the list, the top one is for the FWD.

http://www.automatikoelwechselsystem.de/files/MB Oelfreigabe.pdf

yes, because all these new 236.14 fluids claim to be backward compatible with 236.12, 236.10 etc. , although they are thinner then genuine 236.10 fluid.

So normally i should be able to use it in my 722.7 transmission, except i found this document from Mercedes:

For some reason for 722.7 transmission 'only use genuine 236.10 fluid', like there is something very unique about it.

So you see my confusion? Eg. Shel ATF 134 states on the bottle its compatible with 236.10.

My 722.7 transmission should get 236.10 spec fluid, but Mercedes says do not use Shell ATF 134 in 722.7 tranny, only use A 001 989 21 03 genuine from dealer.

Quote:
For some reason for 722.7 transmission 'only use genuine 236.10 fluid', like there is something very unique about it.

No, nothing unique about it, its because this transmission is in a a W168 a Front Drive car.
If it was in a rear drive there would be no issue, its because of the FWD differential i'm sure as this is the only difference.

Originally Posted By: Trav
The problem with backward compatibility is only when this unit is used in the W168. When used in other bodies it can use Shell 134
The reason is because the A class is FWD so its probably lubing the differential as well. MB must feel the heavier fluid is required. [..]

i haven't thought about this! it could be the issue with lubing the differential as it requires heavier oil, maybe some friction modifiers too.
That Shell SPIRAX S4 ATF 3403 is hard to find locally, and i'm planning to buy only 7-8 liters to perform full flush. Genuine Mopar ATF+4 is like 3x times cheaper then 'Mercedes-Benz Getriebeöl'.

The other reason i asked about Mopar ATF+4 is that i've read somewhere that actually it was the same fluid with MB 236.10, as Chrysler shared the same transmissions with Mercedes, they obviously called for different spec fluids just to make more money. As i said viscosity indexes look the same, and they are both NOT regular DEXRONS, which means both contain friction modifiers.

How much does a litre of ATF+4 cost?

Edit: The only Chrysler vehicles i see using the NAG 1 are all rear or 4 wheel drive. Do you have any other info on which front drive vehicles Chrysler may use this unit in?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
How much does a litre of ATF+4 cost?

Edit: The only Chrysler vehicles i see using the NAG 1 are all rear or 4 wheel drive. Do you have any other info on which front drive vehicles Chrysler may use this unit in?

Sorry for delayed response.

4 liter bottle of Mopar ATF+4 ~ $ 43.4

1 liter bottle genuine MB 236.10 (A 001989210310) ~ $ 20,3
4 liters (bottles) = $ 81,3

Don't know about FWD Chryslers with NAG1 (722.6) transmission, maybe AWD 300C has front differential built into transmission (?)

but since MB 236.10 and ATF+4 are both thick oils, and they were used in the same transmissions: 722.6 and NAG1 i assumed i could also use it for my 722.7.

Looks like i'll be experimenting with this, but so with any other brand fluid.

thanks for the link, i'd have to think it over, 20 liter drum Shell or 7-8 liter genuine Mercedes.

Originally Posted By: towncar
thanks for the link, i'd have to think it over, 20 liter drum Shell or 7-8 liter genuine Mercedes.

If I was going to drive that Mercedes for a long time, I would buy the 20L drum because I know I would be changing the fluid again in the future.

Also, does the power steering system in the Mercedes use ATF? If so, that would be another place to use some of that new ATF.

Finally i bought genuine MB 236.10 from a local dealer, 8 liters. Maybe its not a good idea to experiment, especially with this 722.7 transmission. Thank you guys for your input.

Its not possible to drain the converter so i'd have to disconnect one of the lines going into radiator to catch the old fluid.

According to Haynes manual the transmission holds 5.5 liters from dry so maybe i bought too much, but I'll flush it with 7 liters and will have 1 bottle as a spare just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back