Front end rattle on 2011 Lexus RX 350

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 Lexus RX350
24,000kms/15,000 miles on the odometer
Owned vehicle for 13 months

I've been experiencing this annoying rattle coming from the front end. The rattle is not very loud and every time I drive over a bump, it sounds like I am driving over a Texas gate. I don't feel the rattle, but I hear it. It occurs only when I drive over a bump on the passenger side. No rattle occurs when I drive over a bump on the driver's side.

I have 3 questions:

1. Is it fair to rule out a bad engine mount?
2. Is it reasonable to pinpoint this to possibly a bad strut mount on the passenger side?
3. What are the impacts of driving 1700 miles until having this looked at? I have to go out of town next weekend. I called the Lexus dealership here at home and the earliest they can look at it is two weeks from now.

I am having my mechanic change the oil on Monday and will get him to look at it anyway, but I thought I would ask what everyone else's thoughts as to what may be the problem.

Thank you in advance for your help.

There were similar issues with the early Gen III Prius and the problem was addressed in a TSB with updated brake hardware.

Have you checked for any applicable TSBs on this issue?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Shouldn't this be under warranty?

Yes, but I am having my mechanic change the oil for me and thought might as well ask his opinion in the event I run into a case of "cannot duplicate problem" at the dealership.

I have an appointment at Lexus, but in the meantime, can't wait the 2 weeks for the oil to be changed as I would be well over the 24,000 km interval for oil changes.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
There were similar issues with the early Gen III Prius and the problem was addressed in a TSB with updated brake hardware.

Have you checked for any applicable TSBs on this issue?

Thank you. I read a few posts and TSB in the Prius forum and it looks like nothing to be too alarmed about. Providing the problem I am having is similar to what is noted in that TSB.

We're heading to Minnesota and we just can't pack a whole lot into the back of the Civic!

Could be something as small as a screw that was dropped behind the dash, in the door, or under the arm rest. It's hard to pin point the location of such a rattle without a shaker table. Take it to the dealer for warranty repair.

Does it go away if you drive over the same bump but with the brakes lightly applied?

If the anti-rattle clips/springs/etc are installed incorrectly it'll make one [censored] of a racket.

Honestly, I would just wait till your appointment with the Lexus dealer. In the event, that they can't replicate the issue, we can try to find the rattle. But, I'd let the Lexus dealer give it a shot first. Lexus isn't ranked first in Customer Service for four years straight for no reason, they've earned it. lol

Last edited:
Update: My own mechanic looked at it and right away he says the strut is leaking. So I will wait to have Lexus replace this item under warranty.

Surprised this occurred after just 24,000kms but then again, these things happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back