Any VOA/UOA's on QS DEFY yet??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: FastGame
Originally Posted By: MrRPM
TBN is pretty low too....
I really am kind of dissapointed, If anyone from SOPUS is reading this and sees that blackstones results are off then they need to provide a correct VOA. Otherwise I don't see this oil then anything more then marketing hype.

I agree, looks like Quaker State DEFY is an average (at best) SM oil.
crazy.gif

Blackstone VOA numbers are complete garbage (as usual). You have to be moronic to condemn this oil on one B-S report which have proven to be in erroe agaion and again, esp on VOA.

BTW I use it under warranty as ILSAC oil are marginal at best and i could give 2 tootsierolls as to what my local Honda dealer thinks. The 5w20 defy is proving to be a GREAT oil - The BEST conventional Ive used in a decade and better than a 2.5 x as expensive 0w20 Japanese synthetic that i just dumped early for making the engine so noisy as to be undriveable. Run it and love it. So there! is my iconoclastic challenge to you silly incorrect non-certified lab report slaves.

lol.gif
cheers3.gif

I may use their 5w20 next. One guy on here claims the Honda K24's can have cam lobe issues. Maybe some extra ZDP isn't a bad idea in a high mileage engine.

The L15A7 has a roller cam, but the valve stems get whacked pretty hard with the jam-nut adjusters; also, No tappets, lifters or junk like that at all. It has and Interesting SOHC cam design on the L15A7 though Im not sold on the absence of any external exhaust manifold on these little 1.5 litre fIT engines. Never seen an engine without and exhaust manifold ( and it has NONE - not even a "shorty" stile into the front cat. Hoping this isnt a HG cooker
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Darkfire
Originally Posted By: steve20
and it could also be the variety of ZDDP which does not need high heat / stress points to provide antiwear protection.

Where is there info on this "variety of ZDDP"?

I forgot exactly where, probably in the break in oil section, but it is on the joe gibbs racing site. They have an incredible number of high quality oils if you need to run them. Lots of good oil info too

+1
There are many good racing only oils out there - Joe Gibbs for sure and even ( gasp!) Lucas with good quality PAO racing synthetics (not the swill you see at Pep Boyz or AZ). What is interesting with the Defy (and some other HM lubes) that these is an alternative oil formulation to ILSAC in the LIGHTER grades right on the shelf at Walmart. You can always get a pseudo API SL 10w40 or 10w30 in JASO MA or SJ - but not a 5w-30 or 5w-20. Local availability makes it easy to "try" if you suspect your choice of ILSAC oil to be, somehow, the source of engine woes during break-in (0-15k) and beyond.

Originally Posted By: buster
1,000 ppm for the 5w20. 10w40 has about 1,200. Just called.

so can we assume 5w-30 and 10w-30 also have 1000ppm?

Finally a UOA for Defy. UOA posted by Jarlaxle in the Jeep 4.0 for Quaker State Defy. This time the numbers look like they should, AND he got some very low iron numbers in a 4.0 for a 5k run. This oil just jumped a few notches in my book.

:
OIL: QS Defy 10W-30
MILES IN USE 4950
MILES ON VEHICLE:176,972
SAMPLE TAKEN 5/20/12

ALUMINUM 4
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 23
COPPER 4
LEAD 3
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 102
NICKEL 1
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 2
BORON 106
SILICON 9
SODIUM 105
CALCIUM 2155
MAGNESIUM 14
PHOSPHORUS 904
ZINC 1003
BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES 0.4
WATER 0
COOLANT 0
FLASHPOINT ºF 380
SUS VIS 210ºF 59.5
cSt @ 212ºF 10.08

This is very good news , blackstone's earlier VOA looked to be screwed up. This will go into my 4.0 now.

Just picked up a couple jugs of the 10W-30 for my Jeep 4.0 L.
I just changed oil to QS 10W-40 green bottle and boosted the ZDDP to about 1300 ppm with additive. The Defy will be in there next OC.
Thanks to all who posted info!

I didn't see it yesterday. I suppose it has to be ordered online or whatever. It will likely be discontinued if the stores don't have it shelved to make it sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back