good qaulity ignition parts???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am waiting for a brrand new distributer to arrive to my place that i just purchased a few days ago online and the guy that built the distributer told me to run a good qaulity cap and rotor with brass contacts on it for best performance on fuel mileage. I have been trying to determine who makes the best ignition replacement parts....
There is alot of them autozone carrys the duralast brand wich i believe is made by wells. Napa sells there Echlin line. advanced auto and oreilly auto parts sells Borg warner select ignition parts. I do not know for sure but i have been told that standard motor products supplys car quest with there premium line ignition parts. Wich one of these is the best choice as far as a well built cap and rotor thats going to last and put out good performance?
The distributer is a mopar performance electronic distributer thats going into a 300 horse power 360 magnum in a 1991 dodge ram. I have tried the borg warner select parts before but not there caps and rotors i tried there voltage regulator and there coil, the coil has held up but i kept frying the voltage regulator... I then found an old WElls voltage regulator in my old mans garage that said made in usa right on it, bolted the wells voltage regulator on and never had another problem with frying voltage regulators... So i dont know that i trust the borg warner select brand to be the best. I have ran echlin stuff before but it was so long ago and i couldnt tell ya if echlin ignition parts are good or not, but i have heard that echlin parts are real good.
I have also heard that standard motor products are really good too. I am currntly running an ignition module that i bought from car quest and its there premium line ignition module so i dont know what brand car quest sells but if car quest sells standard motor products then thats what my ignition module is. I have not had any problems with the ignition module i also bought my ballast resistor from car quest in there premium line and i have not had any problems with it ether.
Anyways i am just trying to learn more about ignition parts and wich company is good and wich one is not so good. Also looking at replacing my spark plug wires any reccomendation on a good qaulity set of 8mm plug wires? The borg warner select wires have a life time warranty so does the napa beldin but i was thinking of getting a set of wires from mallory or crane cams or msd or taylor something like that... Anyways school me on replacement igntion parts whats good and whats mid grade and whats garbage? Thanks

BWD/Standard/Echlin premium lines.All made by Standard Motor Products.Have long been brass.

So they are all made by standard motor products but the question is are they all made equal in qaulity? What i'm asking is i can go get a voltage regulator for my truck and get a borg warner select and then go to napa and get a napa echlin and they will be the exact same in qauilty?
I dont think so and here is why. The borg warner select voltage regulator i got said made in CHINA on the box. I went to my local napa and had them grab me the voltage regulator for my triuck but it was of course the echlin brand and it said made in mexico. And the borg warner select voltage regulator had grey paint on it and a hard plastic back side and the echlin voltage regulator was chrome and had a sofer back side.
So maybe standard does own echlin and borg warner select but i bet they are not made in the same building by the same people with the same materials.

Originally Posted By: pjc360
So they are all made by standard motor products but the question is are they all made equal in qaulity? What i'm asking is i can go get a voltage regulator for my truck and get a borg warner select and then go to napa and get a napa echlin and they will be the exact same in qauilty?
I dont think so and here is why. The borg warner select voltage regulator i got said made in CHINA on the box. I went to my local napa and had them grab me the voltage regulator for my triuck but it was of course the echlin brand and it said made in mexico. And the borg warner select voltage regulator had grey paint on it and a hard plastic back side and the echlin voltage regulator was chrome and had a sofer back side.
So maybe standard does own echlin and borg warner select but i bet they are not made in the same building by the same people with the same materials.

It comes down to a big old "there's no way to be sure" on this one. You don't know how long each part has been on the shelf and the source may have changed in that time. The NAPA store I get a lot of parts from has recently been getting stuck with parts transferred in from other stores and these parts are often returned units that are broken or swapped out with a used one or something completely different.

My ex worked for an Advance for a while during which time there were two large vendor changes. One time they put labels on the boxes of old parts to cover the part number with the crossover number from the new brand. The other time the workers in the store were required to rebox old parts so that all the old stock parts would be in a shiny new box displaying the brand name and equivalent part number of the new product line.

Originally Posted By: yonyon

It comes down to a big old "there's no way to be sure" on this one. You don't know how long each part has been on the shelf and the source may have changed in that time. The NAPA store I get a lot of parts from has recently been getting stuck with parts transferred in from other stores and these parts are often returned units that are broken or swapped out with a used one or something completely different.

My ex worked for an Advance for a while during which time there were two large vendor changes. One time they put labels on the boxes of old parts to cover the part number with the crossover number from the new brand. The other time the workers in the store were required to rebox old parts so that all the old stock parts would be in a shiny new box displaying the brand name and equivalent part number of the new product line.

++++
My napa store evidently takes back electrical parts as they tried to sell me coil packs that had been installed (scratch marks around the screws from lock washers) , beware

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
BWD/Standard/Echlin premium lines.All made by Standard Motor Products.Have long been brass.

+1 All these are good quality.

Standard Motor Products has 3 price points for their parts.
One place that you might check out would be the Rockauto Website.
They list a variety of parts for each vehicle....from cheap to premium.

My limited experience with distributors is old.....
One issue that I had with a Chrysler product rotor was it not being snug on the metal center post.....it rode up and broke.
I went to the Chrysler dealership.....and we went through their whole inventory of rotors and they were as loose as the aftermarket rotor was........one was "kind of" tight....and I went with that.

The other issue that came up.......I put Autolite plugs in a chrysler product....ran fine....but the contacts...rotor to cap contacts wore MUCH faster.
The Autolite plug was the one listed for the vehicle.
They were known for "a hotter spark"......it would seem that this plug, while it worked just fine.....it drew more current with each spark......which increases the wear on the contacts in the cap.
Long story short........at least at that time.....Chrysler products were designed best for Champion brand spark plugs.
Since those days.....I have read posts on various forums about folks having issues with different plugs than the vehicle came with.
I stick with the brand/number plug that the vehicle came with.
If you go to Rockauto.......you will see a HUGE variety of spark plugs listed for most any given vehicle.......(same at auto part stores).
I go out of my way to stick with the OEM specified spark plug.

I am running ngk v-power spark plugs in my 360 magnum. I do have 8 bosch platinum fusion spark plugs, i tried them and the engine did start better with the bosch fusion plugs. But alot of people have told me that the magnum engines just dont run right with platinum plugs and that plain old copper plugs work alot better.
As far as ignition parts i really dont ether.. thats why i'm asking about them. Echlin, standard borg warner or wells i just dont know wich one has the edge on who.

Originally Posted By: 4ever4d
Originally Posted By: NHGUY

+1 All these are good quality.

+2

Last edited:
I am running ngk v-power spark plugs in my 360 magnum. I do have 8 bosch platinum fusion spark plugs, i tried them and the engine did start better with the bosch fusion plugs. But alot of people have told me that the magnum engines just dont run right with platinum plugs and that plain old copper plugs work alot better.
As far as ignition parts i really dont ether.. thats why i'm asking about them. Echlin, standard borg warner or wells i just dont know wich one has the edge on who.

Here we go again with 'copper plug' syndrome.
Copper plugs are not 'plain old'. They can be nickel steel, platinum, or iridium. The copper is in the core, and who cares how resistance or heat range is achieved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back