Mann filters Made in China ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

for BMW oil filter is made in Germany.
for Chrysler filter is made in China ... should I be concerned ? Is there any better choice ?

Thx

I would try to stay away from any filter made in China, (though in the past I have used them without a problem) more so, if you are going for extended OCI. I don't think China has a good reputation for make good quality product...

That seems like a rather ridiculous blanket statement.

I guess we should all avoid Apple products that are made there too, right?

China is perfectly capable of turning out quality products. It's just that no one wants to pay for it.

China has a history of producing shoddy automobile parts. Iam therefore very careful about my purchases made in China. I do not buy car parts that can have a safety issue if they go bad and in the case of filters, since I can't see the internals, I don't buy them. I'm just cautious in some areas. Ed

If it's a Mann, I'd probably trust it. Chinese manufacturing does guarantee poor products, nor does North American manufacturing guarantee quality products.

@dparm: There are better reasons to avoid Apple products.
wink.gif

Chinese and Indian filters should not be trusted. First world MB diesel filters offshored to the third world have been found to be filled with coarse cotton gin waste and other things like that.

Curious that any supplier that chooses to send their mfg overseas escapes all responsibility in any product deficiencies and everything is blamed on the country of origin.

If Mann or MB or whoever chooses to send things overseas and not do rudimentary quality control or even more stringent oversight based on the history of mfg in that country, it reflects badly on the company who chooses to put their name on the product, MB included.

Elaborate QC procedures put in place in the West and companies just throw the whole lot out when it moves overseas? Not too impressive IMHO.

edit:since companies have willingly chosen this approach, I willingly avoid products made there.

Last edited:
My first choice: American company and made in America product, I bought a Fram cartridge oil filter some years ago for my E430 because Fram is American company and that filter was made in USA. Now that same filter is made in China and costs more than Mann, Bosch ... made in Germany, I'm switching back to Mann, Bosch ... which is my second choice.

Originally Posted By: dparm

No. What's your point?

"China is perfectly capable of turning out quality products. It's just that no one wants to pay for it."

Please rationalize.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JGW
Originally Posted By: dparm

No. What's your point?

His point was that you've generalized claiming that China can't make a good quality product. So he provided an example of a China made product that is considered good quality, at least by most.

Quote:

"China is perfectly capable of turning out quality products. It's just that no one wants to pay for it."

Please rationalize.

It's pretty simple, really. Most people, when they see a "made in China" label, they automatically expect it to cost less. Otherwise, they won't buy it. But for it to cost less, it means corners had to be cut somewhere. This results in inferior product. His point was that China could make a quality product, but then it'd cost as much as the same product made in USA. But would anyone buy it then?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
His point was that China could make a quality product, but then it'd cost as much as the same product made in USA. But would anyone buy it then?

Most of the tea I buy is made in China, but sold by a company based in Orgeon. It's not cheap, but I don't think people tend to fault the Chinese for their teas. Further, there are very few alternatives to Chinese teas. Aside from that, every country is capable of making good products and shoddy products.

We tend to generalise, and often those generalisations are good rules of thumb. But that can bite us in the behind. These Made in China Mann filters - are they made in China at a Mann plant, or are they bought from a Chinese filter manufacturer and have a Mann label slapped on them? That could be an important distinction.

You will find this more and more.
It isn't really the country of origin that matters (technically - lets leave politics and jobs out for the moment), But the company that makes them and their guaranty. China is a huge country with a lot of auto production. Donaldson has a few plants and recently announced plans to open two more plants in China, then moves several top executives there.

Since many of the engines used in US cars are made in China, the filters are made there. Until there is enough volume to produce in the US, companies need to import from the countries where there is.

I currently have two containers of Filters coming from Donaldson (about 13,000). One has filters from 14 countries, the other from 12 countries. I asked when I was at the factory last week why they didn't produce one in particular that I sell 250 a month (and I'm only a small distributor) and they said there wasn't enough volume to change out the tooling. It was cheaper to bring those LCL from their plant in Indonesia, where they use the same materials and run the same QC tests.

Quite a number of people around BITOG forums will not buy Chinese if at all possible because of the slave like use of employees and their obviously unfair trade practices which results in high paying jobs being eliminated from developed nations like the US and Canada . There is also a LOT of serious corruption in China which can result in DEADLY products.

I try not to buy anything Chinese if at all possible, I will buy from nations that have generally free citizens like the USA, Canada, Germany, and Japan.

OEM MANN filters are still made in Germany for BMW/AUDI, etc.

However, all aftermarket variants for Chrysler, Hyundai, etc. are all from China.

IT's called BRAND manufacturing.

They are no longer selling a product with their name on it. They are selling their name on a product. That is a big difference.

The way manufacturing works in China is a company like Mann wants a minimum amount of units of their product and gives x-amount of money to the manufacturing plant to make them. BTW, that plant probably makes filters for FRAM and other "brands". The goal for that manufacturing plant (in order to make a profit) is to churn out MORE products than requested using as little materials as possible. This is where you get defects because a company like MANN may test one filter out of a batch of say 500 and the filter they "randomly" select is often placed there in order for that batch to be accepted.

Now replace MANN with any other company out there that has their product made in China or any other third world country. THat is how things are made there and this is most specially true for clothing manufacturers. Ever wonder where that "fake" gucci bag came from? No, not a sweatshop in Mexico or US, etc, but from the same manufacturer who makes the REAL gucci bag - they are just "defects" in the eyes of gucci brand that were rejected and are resold on the street.

As for the whole Apple thing... another example of a capitalism being practiced in China. Apple does have stringent QA criteria. They ALWAYS paid more money to Foxconn than any other manufacturer to ensure top quality products. It's just that Foxconn was always greedy and subjected their employees to these conditions long before the US media got a hold of it. Dell gets their components from Foxconn and look at how low their quality has dropped over the years.

Hope this insight helps!

Originally Posted By: accent2012
OEM MANN filters are still made in Germany for BMW/AUDI, etc.

However, all aftermarket variants for Chrysler, Hyundai, etc. are all from China.

IT's called BRAND manufacturing.

They are no longer selling a product with their name on it. They are selling their name on a product. That is a big difference.

The way manufacturing works in China is a company like Mann wants a minimum amount of units of their product and gives x-amount of money to the manufacturing plant to make them. BTW, that plant probably makes filters for FRAM and other "brands". The goal for that manufacturing plant (in order to make a profit) is to churn out MORE products than requested using as little materials as possible. This is where you get defects because a company like MANN may test one filter out of a batch of say 500 and the filter they "randomly" select is often placed there in order for that batch to be accepted.

Now replace MANN with any other company out there that has their product made in China or any other third world country. THat is how things are made there and this is most specially true for clothing manufacturers. Ever wonder where that "fake" gucci bag came from? No, not a sweatshop in Mexico or US, etc, but from the same manufacturer who makes the REAL gucci bag - they are just "defects" in the eyes of gucci brand that were rejected and are resold on the street.

As for the whole Apple thing... another example of a capitalism being practiced in China. Apple does have stringent QA criteria. They ALWAYS paid more money to Foxconn than any other manufacturer to ensure top quality products. It's just that Foxconn was always greedy and subjected their employees to these conditions long before the US media got a hold of it. Dell gets their components from Foxconn and look at how low their quality has dropped over the years.

Hope this insight helps!

I just bought an OEM BMW (Mann) filter from the local BMW dealer in fairfax and it was made in Mexico. filter was $9. It came in an original BMW box. Now go on the AutoZone website and check out their K & N filter for the same application (03 BMW 330xi) and it is the same Mann filter, but it's made in Germany. Go figure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Quite a number of people around BITOG forums will not buy Chinese if at all possible because of the slave like use of employees and their obviously unfair trade practices which results in high paying jobs being eliminated from developed nations like the US and Canada . There is also a LOT of serious corruption in China which can result in DEADLY products.

I try not to buy anything Chinese if at all possible, I will buy from nations that have generally free citizens like the USA, Canada, Germany, and Japan.

+1
Whenever someone blames the USA for environmental problems, I ask the why every major city in China makes Los Angeles look like paradise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back