Someone mixed Dexcool and Green in my '03 Chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.
GM might have changed their operating procedure a little bit. Friend of mine developed a radiator leak on his Silverado, under warranty. The dealer held his truck for 2 days straight while they replaced the radiator, hoses, heater hoses, heater core, thermostat, and coolant tank with hoses.

Seems like they weren't willing to let anything rear its ugly head in the future.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
All baloney in my experience.

The Dex thing is long over with, and is kept alive by misinformed folks on the Internet.

Oh, of course, the $800 Dex-cool sludge repair bill on my mother's 1999 Monte Carlo at 52,000 miles was because of the internet..
coffee2.gif

What does 1999 have to due with 2012? When was the last time a confirmed case of a the Dex-sludge? It has been years and a couple of car generations since there has been any significant problems with Dexcool. It was new technology and in some applications it destroyed cooling systems. Grandpa had a 96 Lumina 3.4 with Dexcool no problems in 80K miles. So we can go onesies and twosies here and there or we can acknowledge that once new technology is introduced sometimes it takes a couple of years to workout the problem areas. But at least something new was introduced and once it started working correctly it is a major improvement over the green stuff. If nothing was developed we would still be driving around with a forward and reverse transmission.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
I am going to have to agree with everybody that Dex isn't bad. It was the gasket design and material that was the issue.

With regular green coolant the indentical engine and gasket combo, however faulty it may be, would never sludge the cooling system the way Dex-cool can.

I've seen more than a couple of cars with green antifreeze with radiators and caps really gummed up. Poor cooling system maintenance and design isn't exclusive to Dex Cool.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
It was new technology and in some applications it destroyed cooling systems. Grandpa had a 96 Lumina 3.4 with Dexcool no problems in 80K miles. So we can go onesies and twosies here and there or we can acknowledge that once new technology is introduced sometimes it takes a couple of years to workout the problem areas.

Thats not the way GM marketed Dex-cool. It was sold as a 5 year or 100,000 mile coolant.

I don't recall GM alerting owners to the fact that it may take a few years to work out the bugs out of their new coolant.

Mind you, I don't have beef with a GM and the car has been excellent otherwise.

Your Mom's car was a GASKET issue, not a coolant issue. The new updated gaskets do not degrade, and the recommended coolant stays the same.

There are no bugs to be worked out. Dex is so good even Ford is adopting it.

Your Mom's car was a GASKET issue, not a coolant issue. The new updated gaskets do not degrade, and the recommended coolant stays the same.

Oh brother..
Yes, there was a LIM gasket issue which progressed into a cooling system issue because Dex-cool can, and will, sludge under the right conditions. Moreover, a case could be made Dex-cool was a contributing factor to the gasket failure as well.
18.gif

Oh brother..
Yes, there was a LIM gasket issue which progressed into a cooling system issue because Dex-cool can, and will, sludge under the right conditions. Moreover, a case could be made Dex-cool was a contributing factor to the gasket failure as well.
18.gif

I've seen plenty of failed GM intake gaskets on older engines as well - those that never used Dex to begin with, or got changed out early in life.

Poor design and maintenance, not poor coolant.

Originally Posted By: edhackett
Quote:
Dex is so good cheap even Ford is adopting it.

Fixed that for you Steve.

Ed

Thanks, Ed. I appreciate your interest.

Unfortunately a LOT of coolant mixtures are cheaper, and few are better in any meaningful way.

Dex is a winner. We NEVER had water pumps and other components last the life of an engine in our fleet before Dex. NEVER!

Sorry, Steve, I forgot the smiley on that. Well, half a smiley. The Dexcool formulation is cheaper to source. I'll bet you a beer that there is a bit of "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" involved too. I'm sure Ford get's complaints from owners who mix the No Makes, No Models dexclones with he G-O5 and have problems trying to run the mix 5+ years.

Dexcool does seem to have evolved into a good coolant provided you don't have any PVC or silicone based gaskets in the cooling system.

Ed

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

I've seen plenty of failed GM intake gaskets on older engines as well - those that never used Dex to begin with, or got changed out early in life.

This is true. I just replaced LIM gasket and UIM on a Pontiac 3800 engine - looking at the old gasket it is clear how it failed, which was due to the gasket design. Each hole has two rings around the inside edge, a rubber/silicon ring and then an innermost plastic(?) ring. The plastic ring just separates from the silicon ring, and then breaks, this starts the whole leaking/failure thing. It didn't look to me like anything was eaten away, just a really bad way to design a gasket.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I like cars like my saturn with a 1/4" deaeration hose that goes from the top of the motor/ water outlet around to the surge tank.

It may be worth noting that all my GM trucks have this feature, but it can only work on a straight engine design not a V.

Just wanted to say thanks to all who contributed useful information!! It has been an interesting read for sure
laugh.gif
What coolant will I use?? Still thinking about it, but leaning ever so slightly towards DexCool. I'll keep you posted once I get the leak fixed and the system flushed out.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Just a personal observation; my girlfriend bought a new 1995 Olds Cutlass Supreme with the 3.1L engine, the last year GM used green coolant before the switch to Dex-cool. The LIM gaskets went 150,000 miles before replacement.

On the other hand, the same 3.1L engine in my mother's 1999 Monte Carlo, also purchased new, sludged up at 52,000 miles on Dex-cool.

It was an expensive and unplesant surprize to say the least

I own and maintain a fleet of GM vehicles including 3500 Savanas and Silverados. After having breakfast with the actual development engineer on the "G" team at GM in charge of vans I have stopped maintaining any factory Dex equipped vehicle until something breaks in the cooling system.

This is almost always in excess of 200k miles, and sometimes even more.

We have open recovery tanks on some and sealed recovery tanks on others. No difference, our factory Dex fill is clear and clean with NO SLUDGE of any kind.

The Dex thing is long over with, and is kept alive by misinformed folks on the Internet. Even Ford is using Dex now. Think about it.

Note that the OVERWHELMING majority of GM owners have had no issues since the bad gasket issue was resolved years ago.

My dad owns a 2001 Chevy Impala. This car only has 55,000 miles on it today. The check engine light came on for low coolant level even though the car was completely full of Dex Cool coolant, so they had the local Chevy dealer check the car out and the dealer could find nothing wrong with the car.

My dad had a local independent mechanic he trusts check the Impala out. This mechanic said he knew exactly what the problem was. He said the sensor in the radiator is being gummed up by the Dex Cool. This mechanic recommended flushing the Dex Cool out and refilling it with a different kind of coolant other than Dex Cool. My dad did have him flush out the cooling system, had him refill it with a non Dex Cool coolant the mechanic recommended and the check engine light for low coolant level has stayed off!

I do not know this mechanic and have never talked to him, but many professional mechanics do not like Dex Cool. My dad told me this story last week about his car.

I like cars like my saturn with a 1/4" deaeration hose that goes from the top of the motor/ water outlet around to the surge tank.

It may be worth noting that all my GM trucks have this feature, but it can only work on a straight engine design not a V.

Dont your trucks have 6000 or 8100 engines? How does it work then?

Originally Posted By: Moab

I own and maintain a fleet of GM vehicles including 3500 Savanas and Silverados. After having breakfast with the actual development engineer on the "G" team at GM in charge of vans I have stopped maintaining any factory Dex equipped vehicle until something breaks in the cooling system.

This is almost always in excess of 200k miles, and sometimes even more.

We have open recovery tanks on some and sealed recovery tanks on others. No difference, our factory Dex fill is clear and clean with NO SLUDGE of any kind.

The Dex thing is long over with, and is kept alive by misinformed folks on the Internet. Even Ford is using Dex now. Think about it.

Note that the OVERWHELMING majority of GM owners have had no issues since the bad gasket issue was resolved years ago.

My dad owns a 2001 Chevy Impala. This car only has 55,000 miles on it today. The check engine light came on for low coolant level even though the car was completely full of Dex Cool coolant, so they had the local Chevy dealer check the car out and the dealer could find nothing wrong with the car.

My dad had a local independent mechanic he trusts check the Impala out. This mechanic said he knew exactly what the problem was. He said the sensor in the radiator is being gummed up by the Dex Cool. This mechanic recommended flushing the Dex Cool out and refilling it with a different kind of coolant other than Dex Cool. My dad did have him flush out the cooling system, had him refill it with a non Dex Cool coolant the mechanic recommended and the check engine light for low coolant level has stayed off!

I do not know this mechanic and have never talked to him, but many professional mechanics do not like Dex Cool. My dad told me this story last week about his car.

As I've said before, poor maintenance and poor design, not poor coolant.

On the surface, this seems a cut and dried case against Dex, but it's not.

Lets start with poor design. These cars have a stupid angle on the filler neck making them hard to fill and keep full. Now to move on to poor maintenance... Dex is a 5 year coolant. Has it ever been replaced? If not, the current fill would have been 11 years old. Has the radiator cap ever been replaced? Is there air in the system? If no, no and yes, then there's no wonder the level sensor was gunked up.

On the topic of the coolant light staying off, the mechanic could have simply replaced the malfunctioning sensor and the light still would have gone off...

A good question is if Dexcool sludge was just a maintenance issue why does green coolant never turn into green paste?

Its supposed to be maintained more often and I've never seen anyone bother with that :p

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Dont your trucks have 6000 or 8100 engines? How does it work then?

All my fleet trucks are 5.3's or 6.0/6.2's.

I have never gotten a definitive answer. It is listed as a coolant bleed and it would seem that it may provide an aeration "escape" path, but you must carefully refill these things when you drain them or they can quickly be damaged. There are high points in the heads that will hold an air bubble and this can be disastrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back