Carpenter bees.. Ugh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

Anyone have any tips/tricks for this one?

The little buggers have decided to setup shop on the north side of my house. I'm pretty confident this hasn't been the first infestation given the amount of destruction and the fact we've only been in the house about 11months.

The whole exterior is brick and aluminum siding, with a single lonely wooden strip that runs the full perimeter, where the siding meets the bottom of the soffit. They've bored into there and a few sections behind the aluminum fascia wrapping where there's a tiny bit of wood exposed.

Man they are persistent pests! I first attacked each hole I could get at with no-name carburetor cleaner. That gets them on contact, but you've got to contact them. A bunch dropped out of the holes like turds. A few hours later there was still some buzzing around up there.

Next I sprayed each hole out with liquid carpenter ant killer I had on hand (also says works on carpenter bees). Sprayed down the general area as well. Next day, still some buzzing around.

Did more poking around online and went to the store and picked up some Sevin powder. I used a turkey baster and blasted powder in each hole. There's STILL a couple of them buzzing around.

Last night I even tried blasting them with hot soapy water with my garden sprayer. This kills Yellow Jackets and pretty much any other bee on contact. Carpenter bees? Not so much. I think one even winked at me after that attempt.

I'm out of options at this point! You can't just plug the holes during breeding season because the babies will just chew there way out somewhere else! It's amazing how much wood they hog out in a short period of time.

If I ever get rid of them, plan is to fill/calk all destroyed areas, oil base primer and paint.

Beez.jpg

Joel

When I had that problem I blasted with the 30ft jet Bee killer

then next day at dusk when they are less active I caulked them in. If they are living in the side of your house this can be bad as they start coming out of closets and such.

Replacing with plastic wood is an option, but I don't know how to do it w/out completely disassembling the soffit. The board at the top of the siding is what the 'L' channel (dunno what you call it) for what the soffit panels hang from are attached to.

Pretty sure I'd have to pull all that down. With my complete amateur wood butcher, nail-bender status, this would be a MAJOR deal for me.

Joel

Sevin powder was suggested by an expert on an NPR show. You could use a popsicle stick as a spoon. They need to walk thru the stuff for it to work.

Sprays do not work as their holes go sideways, etc.

Yea..I have the same problem. I plugged them up this year with aluminum foil after spraying. Next year I will get on it before they make holes. Yea they are pesky.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Sevin powder was suggested by an expert on an NPR show. You could use a popsicle stick as a spoon. They need to walk thru the stuff for it to work.

Exactly, just keep that Sevin Powder around, and in the holes they dig. When the activity stops, dump more powder in and plug them up.

Just keep at it..i'm going thru the same thing with carpenter ants in my porch. Using boric acid on them seems to be helping.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Just keep at it..i'm going thru the same thing with carpenter ants in my porch. Using boric acid on them seems to be helping.

You're better off baiting the carpenter ants, you want to kill the queen/queens. The best way to do that is have the workers bring the bait the queen/queens.

Your right I should have mixed:

1)1 tablespoon of water
2)2 tablespoons of sugar
3)1/4 teaspoon of boric acid

Originally Posted By: joaks
Originally Posted By: AandPDan
Remove the wood. Replace it with Azek.

+1

I made that stuff for 17 years. It was a great idea and we only had wasp nests form on it once in storage in that time.
Pro-cell is another excellent product to look into.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Your right I should have mixed:

1)1 tablespoon of water
2)2 tablespoons of sugar
3)1/4 teaspoon of boric acid

Deadly! LOL

Originally Posted By: Donald

I've been outside for hours priming/painting the porch railings and spindles (another UGH!!!). I've yet to see one of my carpenter bee monsters buzzing around. That Sevin powder may have finally done the trick.

That's what I read online; They need to track through the powder for it to get them.

For you fellas with the Carpenter Ant issues, have you tried Bonide spray? That's what I've used for years and it's worked every time for me.. knock on wood.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back