Is BMW LL-04 backward compatible to LL-01 & LL-98

Status
Not open for further replies.
was wondering if LL-04 oils can be used for LL-01 spec'd engines? if anyone knows would appreciate input. also ran across this article on their website which is pretty informative:

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/web.nsf/id/pa_us_domb8bakrw.html

In specific I was looking to try the Lubro-Moly longtime Htech 5W-30 oil for my next oil change on 330xi, but this oil which used to carry the LL-01 rating now carries only LL-04 rating.

However there is another 5w-30 top tech oil which is about 25% more expensive than regular blue bottle 5W-30 longtime high tech and that oil carries both the LL-04 and LL-01 along with a boat load of other diesel and gasoline certs.

link for it:

http://www.yapscarparts.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29837

While LL-01 completely replaces LL-98, LL-04 is slightly different from LL-01.

As far as I know, BMW says that LL-04 can be a substitute for LL-01 ONLY when your fuel does NOT contain ethanol.

I suspect that LL-04 will work with ethanol-containing fuel if you just keep your OCIs short, but that's just a hunch.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

I suspect that LL-04 will work with ethanol-containing fuel if you just keep your OCIs short, but that's just a hunch.

That's the gist of it, yup. Basically any LL-04 oil is a low/mid SAPs oil. Such oils don't hold up for very long when subject to our fuels in the US. That is why BMW states that LL-04 oils should not be used in their gasoline engines outside of Europe.

Hassam, you'll find a note regarding this on the BMW engine/oil spec matrix image that I posted for you in the other thread.

thanks for your help.. I just got an email from ETY which has pretty much the best prices on Lubro Moly products that I could find anywhere: http://www.yapscarparts.com/index.php

saying that LL-04 is backward compatible to LL-01 but not other way around.

"Hi Hessam --

Thanks for taking the time to ask questions. BMW LL-04 a higher approval than LL-01 -- LL-04 can be used and meets the approvals for LL-01 but not the other way around.

As for the LL-01 -- we will be carrying the Lubro Moly 3864 that is a 5W-40 that is specifically a LL-01. Please see attached PDF.

There are a few items that are not built into the current site and I will update these offerings when the shippment arrives in early June.

Concerning the pricing. We are very competitve with oil pricing but there is not much more I can do but offer the free shipping for amounts over $60.00

thanks again,

allen

Allen Yap - MBA
" Service Is Everything "
E.T.Y Parts Inc.
Import / Foreign Auto Parts Distributor
Wholesale and Retail Services
Phone: 323.254.7442
e-mail: [email protected]
web: www.etyparts.com"

I would not trust LL-04 in a North American gas engine. My 135i, granted it is DI, does not spec LL-04 though it does in Europe.

IIRC, LL04 is low saps, so you would need to watch TBN and other aspects real close, and not do extended or OLM based changes.

No I will definitely not be using any LL-04 oils in the place of LL-01 (thanks to BIOG board members)!!!

Looks like lubo moly only has 2 oils which are approved for LL-01 spec: their new Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 and their Leichtlauf Special LL 5W-30.

Here's the link for their specs:

Lubo Moly Oil Specs

Last edited:
Longlife-04 oils must not be used in BMW spark-ignition engines in
countries outside Europe (EU plus Switzerland, Norway and Liechtenstein).

5) Longlife-04 oils are only approved for spark-ignition engines in Europe (EU plus Switzerland, Norway
and Liechtenstein). They must not be used outside this area.

Therefore, for petrol engines, use only oils designated BMW Longlife-01 or BMW LL-01

LL-1 oils are for high sulfur content fuels - as in USA fuels.

LL-4 oil is for low sulfur content fuels - as in Germany/Europe fuels

From 1addicts

Last edited:
NDX that makes a lot of sense.... but how can they have an oil that is spec'd for both LL-01 and LL-04 then? Based on the premise that LL-01 oils are for high sulfur fuels and LL-04 are for low sulfur fuels, how can the spec for this oil be explained?

Top Tec 4200 5 W-30

Spezifikationen und Freigaben:
ACEA A3-04/B4-04/C3-04
VW 504 00/507 00
MB-Freigabe 229.51
BMW Longlife-04
Porsche C30
LIQUI MOLY also recommends this product for vehicles for which the
following specifications are required:
MB 229.31
Audi und VW-Gruppe 500 00/501 01/502 00/505 00/505 01/503 00/503 01/
506 00/506 01 (Ausnahme R5 und V10 TDI-Motoren vor
6/2006)
BMW Longlife-01/Longlife-01FE
Fiat 9.55535-S1
API SM/CF
ACEA A5/B5/C2
Peugeot/Citroen (PSA) B71 2290

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hessam
NDX that makes a lot of sense.... but how can they have an oil that is spec'd for both LL-01 and LL-04 then?

As was mentioned before, in Europe LL-04 can be used in place of LL-01, so you could theoretically say that an oil meets both. But that is not the case in the US.

LL-01 can be used with both high-sulfur as well as low-sulfur gas. LL-04 should only be used with low sulfur gas, if you're going to be following the OLM. But if you're going to change your oil every 5K miles, then it doesn't really matter.

Hessam: Notice that LL-04 is listed under the specifications and approvals, whereas LL-01 is listed under the recommendations. In other words, it's really an LL-04 product, but LIQUI MOLY (not BMW!) thinks it should work for LL-01 applications as well.

Hessam: Notice that LL-04 is listed under the specifications and approvals, whereas LL-01 is listed under the recommendations. In other words, it's really an LL-04 product, but LIQUI MOLY (not BMW!) thinks it should work for LL-01 applications as well.

Great catch... that's definitely an important distinction.

I've read some people on this board who are running regular LL-98 spec'd oil in M54 engines, or even regular M1 grades like 5W-30 or 5W-40, 10W-40 HM with no problems

Quattro Pete, where/and at what price are you getting you PU 5W-40 from currently?

Quattro Pete, where/and at what price are you getting you PU 5W-40 from currently?

My local distributor sells it for $50 per 6 quarts. But the stuff I'm using is mostly free stock I got from SOPUS a while back. I'm not about to pay $8.33/qt for it. When it's time for the next oil change, I'll just buy whatever LL-01 oil I can find on sale, so that'll be either GC or M1 0w-40.

I've read some people on this board who are running regular LL-98 spec'd oil in M54 engines, or even regular M1 grades like 5W-30 or 5W-40, 10W-40 HM with no problems

Be careful. "No problems" is one of the most vacuous phrases in common usage. 99 times out of 100, all it means is that the engine hasn't instantly exploded. It doesn't mean all is well, let alone as good as it could be.

Just use an approved lubricant like M1 0w40. Then there is nothing to worry about
21.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Just use an approved lubricant like M1 0w40. Then there is nothing to worry about
21.gif

That's exactly what I was going to post after reading this thread. Readily available, relatively cheap and one of the best motor oils on the market. What's not to like?

Be careful. "No problems" is one of the most vacuous phrases in common usage. 99 times out of 100, all it means is that the engine hasn't instantly exploded. It doesn't mean all is well, let alone as good as it could be.

Huge +1.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: kschachn
What's not to like?

IIRC, he posted in another thread that M1 0w-40 makes his engine sound loud.

I just changed from M1 5W30 to M1 0W40 last week, but defnitely sounding louder with the M1 0W40.

Just picked up some GC on sale for about 6.5 per quart with free filter. I am not going to dump the M1 0W40 right now, that seems like a huge waste of about $50. But definitely interested to see how GC compares to the M1. Also trying to locate some PU 5W40, but it seems like it's pretty impossible to find at reasonable prices even remotely comparing to GC and M1 when they go on sale for about 6 or 6.50 per quart.

Are there any people who are running RT6 or Delo Synthetic 5W-40 in older Bimmers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back