US General 11 drawer, rolling tool box..

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

I picked one up to today at HFT to supplement my 20 something year old Craftsman.

Regular price $299, sale price $199 and I had a coupon to get one for $159.

It's not bad! It was packaged well in 3 separate boxes. You had to mount the wheels and all the handles. Every drawer comes with a rubber floor mat.

The top right/front corner is smashed a bit and there is some typical HFT scuffs, plus the key for the top box is mismatched with the lock! The lock barrel is marked 132 and It came with two keys for a 113! Nice. The locks for the other two boxes match up with their keys. I'd never lock it anyway.

Good setup for the price. I'd never pay a dime more than $159 though.

toolbox.jpg

Joel

The $159 coupon came with a sales add that was mailed to the house. Exp date was 4/30/12, but they honored it for me today because they were out of stock when I stopped in for one last week.

I think their 20% off coupons usually exclude tool boxes and generators.. pretty much all their 'high dollar' items.

Joel

Last edited:
i have the same unit. grease the casters/side rails with white lithium grease and it will work even better.

I thought about that u it but ended up buying the 13 drawer roller. Good buy non the less thou. Let us know how it does. The long term. Any clue on what box this was modeled after?

I have that very box. I can't lock the bottom part with it all stacked like that because the middle box covers the J-hook "slim jim" mechanism that you slide down a slot to lock. Kind of a design oversight.

The bottom "garage door" is pretty cheezy.

I brought it to the tire shop I worked at (briefly) and noone teased me about it.

It has about the right mix of drawers. The top shelf one was where I kept my safety glasses, nitrile gloves, flashlight, and work orders appeared there.
banana2.gif

Thanks fellas.

The wheels are pretty decent and it rolls well as a unit. The drawer slide-rails are not ball-bearing, but slide OK. Thanks for the white lithium tip! That will smooth it out.

I would suspect this box set wouldn't hold up well to lots of abuse, but for the homeowner it's fine.

They may have changed the design some, because the middle cabinet sets back enough, that it doesn't interfere with the bottom cabinet lock bar/slim-jim deal. All clear there.

Just for grins I called the HFT 1-800 # in regards to the mismatched lock/key for the top cabinet. Rang right through to a very helpful lad (in Pakistan or the likes). Long story short, a new lock/key assy is being mailed to the house! We'll see how that goes..

Joel

Just an update:

I got two new lock sets in the mail a few days ago. Why two I have no idea, but I swapped out the mismatched top lock set and we're good to go.

First time I ever had to call 1-800 HFT for parts/service, but I can't complain about the service!

Joel

I got HF bigger red US General and it's well built. So far I have added the red top chest and one side panel box. 1st time buying US General and so far no regrets.

Their red tool boxes are well regarded. This dark grey guy is the absolute cheapest found anywhere.

I'm slowly coming around to working from drawers after a decade with a handheld box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back