Wynn's Engine TuneUp how long should I leave it in???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just recently I pured 8oz. (3/4 of a can) into my dad's 2.5 litre Altima, hoping he would only put 200-300 km on it before oil change but them he he went on a 400km trip, I think this may be too long for this type of an additive.
Can it affect the seals? I didn't use full strenght but still it bothers me that I may have done some harm. On the can it does not say how long shuld you leave it in, just says "begins to free up sticky valves and rings" and "begins to work in 10 minutes".
Have you guys had any experience with Wynn's TuenUp?

You probably didn't ruin anything...I would still change out the oil...that stuff was probably some derivative of kerosene and diluted your oil some. You really should be ok. Just change the oil

The main ingreedient of Wynn's TuneUp is hydrotreated paraffinic oil and about 15% Methyl Isobutyl Carbinol. This is what I found out about it in chemistry text: It is used as a solvent for dyes, nitrocelluloses, lacquers and phenolics as well as for gums, and natural resins. It is usd as an extraction solvent as well as a process solvent. It is used as a flotation agent for mining and as a hydraulic fluid component. It is used as a chemical intermediate used in manufacturing surfactants, lubricant additives and cleaning compounds.

I guess it might be safe to use.
What do you guys think?

Most likely you just dump it in and drain with your next oil change, however long that may be. If it doesn't say to change oil first, it is probably used just top off the oil, and drive normally. Most likely like Marvel Mystery or Rislone products. Unlike a flush, which tells you how long to leave it in prior to draining.

not familair, but Ill tell you one thing, I probably wouldnt have used it anyway.

Was there some reason you thought it to be necessary?

I dont even believe in using auto-rx, a good cleaning agent that doesnt cause excess wear (the way that many of these flushes or tuneups in a can do), unless there is an apparent compelling need.

Sorry I cant help you, but I would suggest using extreme caution with products like that.

JMH

I've used this product too... I believe you're supposed to just leave it in 'after using at every oil change'. Probably going by the 3k/3mo OCI mantra....is what they had in mind....

I believe it was 1-1.5k mi. (1600-2000km), but I also had 2 bottles of Gunk ValveMedic as well...all in an 8L crankcase.

Now I just use LC/FP.

I use the Wynn's as a motor flush. We just bought a used JCB diesel forklift and the oil was real dark, not knowing previous service schedule I poured 2 cans as it takes 11 litres. Let her idle for 10 -15 min and drain. We have used it for an hour or so and the oil still is golden. I will post later details.

Holy thread revival!

That said, I've had good success with Wynn's engine tune-up, I think it's a good product.

^^^Yes, 7 YEARS ON!!!.

That has to be at least close to a record on this site, no??!!
lol.gif

Don't care what you said about this particular brand but it's been decades since I last used it and in my opinion, it's one of the most useless additives one can use.

I'd rather add a cup of K-1 kerosene into the crankcase instead...

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back