2010 CRV using 5w20 synthetic over 0w20 synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, well my brother inlaw wanted me to help him change his oil on his wifes 2010 crv, that takes 0w20 and he usually runs mobil 1, but the local walmart was all out. The only thing they had was 5w20 castrol edge synthetic and i know its prob fine to use, but i just wanted to get some opinions on some fellow BITOG members

Last edited:
That will be fine. There shouldn't be any warranty issues, I believe the Honda manual even states "if 0w-20 isn't available xxx can be used, change back to 0w-20 at the next service" or similar.

Besides the Acura RDX having HTO-06 Honda doesn't spec anything besides API designations.

In the little book they provide for recording your own maintainance, simply write 0w-20 in the space provided. No one will know the difference, including the K24 engine.FWIW--Oldtommy

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
In the little book they provide for recording your own maintainance, simply write 0w-20 in the space provided. No one will know the difference, including the K24 engine.FWIW--Oldtommy

Wouldn't that be a lie?
31.gif

Last edited:
I would record the oil change in the maintenance record and receipt. Also I would not hide the fact you used 5W-20 Edge. I am sure if you have any warranty work done Honda will not mind that you used a high quality synthetic that had 5W vs 0W rating. It is not like you used up to 40 US Economy motor oil. I would just use 0W-20 next time like you normally do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back