Best oil for 08' Ford Expedition 5.4L 3V 100K Mile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I have been running Moto Semi-Synth 5w20 and Moto filters. Now that the extended warranty is over, looking for the best protection I can get. Would Mobil 1 5w20 be a better oil than what I have been using? Thanks.

For the 4.6 and 5.4 modular's I have a lot of experience. The truth is you can use any quality conventional 5W-20 thru 10W-40 for 6-8K OCI's and the engine will run fine for hundreds of thousands of miles fine. Define best "protection".

Thanks for the reply. I have had a few issues with the motor and not from lack of oil change or care given. Had the head replaced at 7K for collapsed lifter and at 59K timing chain tensioners and gasket replaced. I assume the lifter was just a random mechanical fault not oil related but I am not sure about the tensioners. I have babied this truck. No towing, 80% freeway miles, hardly ever WOT, etc. I didn't know where the Moto semi-synth stood among other oils and if there is a better for limiting wear, I would be interested. Thanks again.

Last edited:
I doubt it was a lubrication fault with the oil you have chosen. My advice I will give you use a Ford spec approved 5W20 and change at the specified interval for my truck since I am still under warranty it is 7.5K max or 6 months. I assume that if you do not want to extend your Oil Change Interval(OCI) beyond what is specified in your owners manual, I would not recommend a synthetic oil until you are comfortable in extending your OCI's beyond that.
So the next question would be how often do you want to change your oil?

I am fine with extended intervals. Can I hit 10K with say Mobil 1 or another full synthetic?

M-1 should be fine for that interval but I would not make a "blanket statement" until a UOA was done but if I where hazard a guess mobil-1 with a quality name brand oil filter would be fine for a 10K OCI, but I would not recommend this to someone else just to see what would happen. I know from past testing on my engine and driving combo with conventional 5W-20 on my F150 5.4 3V that a 10K OCI would may be possible with conventional, but for your Expy and your driving style it may not be obtainable with even a high quality synthetic such as mobil one. If you are willing to spend the money I would recommend a 10K OCI on mobil one extended performance with a min of one UOA at 10K to see how far you could extend. I make the mobil one extended performance recommendation because mobil "guarantees" that it can be used up to 15K. Understand I know nothing of your engine's condition or your driving habits and I do not have any data on how far you could extend your OCI. Now if you want to talk to some Amsoil reps on here they can help you decide what Amsoil product and OCI that would be appropriate for you and what it would cost. The biggest factor on what you want to achieve is the factor on how much testing you want done and how much you are willing to spend.

Thanks Dave. I appreciate the info. What is your take on Ford pushing the 5w20 on US motors vs. 5w30 for S. America and EU? I deduct its for fuel savings and emissions reduction not what is absolutely best for our motors but I could be wrong. If 5w30 will offer me better startup protection I am game for that. I live in S. CA, so temps average mostly 50-80F with extremes being 30F - 110F.

There is just too many "modular" motors that have been serviced with 5W-20 that have XXX,000 miles that have used nothing but 5W-20 in the engines lifetime for me to buy the "theory" that 5W-20 is inferior to other grades. But I will advise if you are experiencing consumption, constant wide open throttle(WOT) driving conditions, your engine is modified for higher performance, or that you are losing sleep over using a 5W-20 oil you can go to a higher viscosity. Some modular engines that are used as police cruisers, taxi's, and other "fleet" service have everything from 5W-20 to 15W-40 viscosity and are fine. The 4.6 and 5.4 family has proven to be a very durable engine. So in short you will have to determine for your self what viscosity to use. For my driving I will just continue to use conventional 5W-20 until my driving habits change or if my engine starts to consume oil as it ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back