Lubegard Automatic Transmission Flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every transmission on which I have dropped the pan has been really clean. Transmission fluid will clean grease and grime from your hands after working on your car all day. The directions say to run it for 10 minutes prior to changing the fluid.

With that said, what does Lubegard Transmission Flush really do? I've read the web site:

LUBEGARD® TRANSMISSION FLUSH is a premium synthetic blend that prepares any transmission for new ATF. It contains special detergents and dispersants to soften, clean and aid in the removal of harmful deposits that have built up in the transmission. It will not harm metals, seals, friction materials or compromise the fluid itself. It also provides additional rust and corrosion protection. After completing the flushing procedure add the appropriate LUBEGARD ATF product for unsurpassed protection.

What harmful deposits? Iv'e never seen a rusty transmission, they have all been shiny metal and squeaky clean. Anybody know?

Run you finger over the clean shiny metal valve body or other internals and you will notice many times a black almost transparent film over everything.
Some units do get varnish in the valve body internals, the flush is claimed to rinse these away.

Personally i use LG products but i wouldn't bother with a chemical flush.

On the friction plates you can get a build up of varnish that will hinder them doing their thing. Also that cooked on varnish can also prevent valves in the transmission from opening or closing all the way.

The Amsoil website has a good picture of this associated with their engine/transmission flush.

I've never seen a sludged transmission. But then again I think I have only dropped maybe 12 transmission pans in my life. I'm not a full time mechanic.

I do know I have a friend that just sold his VW Golf with 202,000 miles due to the transmission not going into 4th gear. When I asked about the transmission fluid and when it was changed out he shrugged and said "Why would I ever change the transmission fluid?"

If you use Lubegard red, you can just drain and fill as usual, and its like a flush every time! Lubegard is the best product on the market no doubt, and the only product recommended by manufacturers

BG sells similar products.. Probably does not hurt but its another $10 added to the cost of the flush. The stuff added to the new ATF should not be needed if your using high quality ATF and it may skew the UOA if you are so inclined.

Some people have had good luck with Auto-Rx in transmissions, even people who say it has not helped engines. I'd trust something slow before I would trust something fast.

I would recommend to exercise caution. After running Seafoam Transtune (a less aggressive ATF cleaning/flush product) for about 300 miles before the fluid change, my Taurus developed a leak at the driveaxle seal. These leaky seals are a well known problem, so I don't think the Seafoam damaged anything. What I think it did was dissolve the deposits near or at the seal that was already worn out, creating this leak. By the way, my intention was to use Seaform for 15-30 miles before the flush, but then an emergency happened and I didn't have the time to change the ATF fluid until two weeks later.

Also, I would not add the Lubegard ATF protectant, unless there is already a problem. My car did develop shudders when driven hard. It's hard to say whether this was due to a problem with the transmission or perhaps due to a strange mix of different brand ATFs that I dumped all into the transmission. I added a bottle of Lubegard Platinum ATF protectant, and it appears to have fixed the problem. For next, ATF change, I will be buying Motorcraft Mercon V at the dealer to see if this was an ATF issue.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. On another thread I told about this transmission (2004 Mercury Sable DOHC). When cold, everything shifts smoothly. After getting hot, the engine will (sometimes) tac up to about 2000 RPM's before shifting into 2nd gear, and there is a bumping when moving in reverse from a dead stop. Both issues are from a dead stop.

I have MaxLife Dex/Merc in it now, and was chastised for using it instead of Mercon V. Valvoline says it is suitable to use, but, I am inclined to agree with those who say I should use only Mercon V. In the near future I will do a pan drop, filter change, and complete flush with Mercon V. I was curious if anyone knew or had good experience with the Lubegard Flush.

One poster said it sounded like my problem was due to the fluid thinning as the transmission heated up. That makes sense, so I also plan to put a bottle of Lubegard Red in the mix since it is claimed to lower fluid temperature, keeping the viscosity higher.

Does anyone know how much Lubegard Red lowers temperature (assuming it does)? Are we talking fractions of a degree or many degrees? Anyone seen any data on this?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mark_S
I have MaxLife Dex/Merc in it now, and was chastised for using it instead of Mercon V. Valvoline says it is suitable to use, but, I am inclined to agree with those who say I should use only Mercon V. In the near future I will do a pan drop, filter change, and complete flush with Mercon V. I was curious if anyone knew or had good experience with the Lubegard Flush.

I think Valvoline's web site is wrong on Mercon V compatibility. The Maxlife Dex/Merc bottle does not list compatibility with Mercon V, but the web site and the product data sheet still claim compatibility with Mercon V. I would take their claim with a grain of salt because the bottle also lists compatibility with Mercon LV. Supposedly, Mercon V and LV are mutually incompatible. I believe, you can't have a fluid that works for both. Another trouble sign is that the manual lists viscosity at 100C 6.11 cst. This is below ALL Mercon V compatible fluids. All of those that I checked claim this viscosity above 7cst. I really don't know what Valvoline's marketing is thinking.

However, Lubegard claims that a bottle of Lubegard Platinum or Green will bring the properties of fluid to the level of Mercon V. You could try to use one of those. Lubegard recommends the red bottle for transmissions that already use correct grade, unless the transmission has developed shudders, in which case the platinum bottle is recommended even with correct grade.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mark_S
Thanks for the replies. On another thread I told about this transmission (2004 Mercury Sable DOHC). When cold, everything shifts smoothly. After getting hot, the engine will (sometimes) tac up to about 2000 RPM's before shifting into 2nd gear, and there is a bumping when moving in reverse from a dead stop. Both issues are from a dead stop.

One poster said it sounded like my problem was due to the fluid thinning as the transmission heated up. That makes sense, so I also plan to put a bottle of Lubegard Red in the mix since it is claimed to lower fluid temperature, keeping the viscosity higher.

Does anyone know how much Lubegard Red lowers temperature (assuming it does)? Are we talking fractions of a degree or many degrees? Anyone seen any data on this?

I have a similar problem in my wifes Venture, it's fine until fully heated up then it will occasionally slam shift. My understanding is it's a sticking governor solenoid. While Lubegard Red did shorten the loooonnnggg shifts and eliminate the occasional slip, it hasn't helped the slam shifting. Seafoam Trans tune, Lube Gard flush and (cringe) Lucas didn't either FYI, so if you have something sticking when fully warmed up I haven't figured out how to beat it yet (without actual work).

The use of proper Mercon V is a critical issue, for sure. Remember that MV only came into existence due to Ford's realization that their ATXs were so poorly designed and applied, that they would shudder right off of the assembly line.

While I am a believer in LG products, I am also a believer that before you start using additives and such, you should make sure you have the right fluids in there in the first place.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
The use of proper Mercon V is a critical issue, for sure. Remember that MV only came into existence due to Ford's realization that their ATXs were so poorly designed and applied, that they would shudder right off of the assembly line.

While I am a believer in LG products, I am also a believer that before you start using additives and such, you should make sure you have the right fluids in there in the first place.

The converter shudder in the 4R70W (and not in the AOD it was based on.....) didn't affect the life of the transmission. And for a "poorly designed" transmission, they sure held up well in the F-150, Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Lincoln Town Car, Expedition, Explorer...etc and in LEO and TAXI service......

^^^Likewise.

My FIL had an old Tbird that shuddered for years, it really does nothing but annoy the driver.

Since the TC is a separate component of the driveline from the trans we should say "poorly designed TC". The trans is/are fine.

I wasn't aware that a grabbier TCC friction material constitutes a poorly design trans.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
It doesn't. That's why I separated the TC from the trans in my post!

I wasn't responding to you, Steve.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

The converter shudder in the 4R70W (and not in the AOD it was based on.....) didn't affect the life of the transmission. And for a "poorly designed" transmission, they sure held up well in the F-150, Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Lincoln Town Car, Expedition, Explorer...etc and in LEO and TAXI service......

There are a two incorrect assumptions you made here:

1. That I was referring to the 4R70W

2. That I was referring to torque converter shudder

Although there are more Ford transmissions that come to mind as well, the one I had on my mind was the AX4S, which even new, had transmission shudder issues with the internal clutches unrelated to torque converter lockup. That definitely will send a transmission straight to the Lake of Fire. Mercon V is simply a semi-synthetic fluid designed to deal with all clutch overheating (the cause of clutch shudder) issues across its transmission range.

Indeed, the 4R70W's issue was in its converter, but for the Windstar A4XS, the problem was pretty much everything. Ford knew they had to upgrade that transmission's components before using it to lug around a lardass like the Windstar.

Where the 4R70W is concerned, revise your statement about the 4R70W to include only those which have had their roller clutches replaced with the mechanical diode. Up until that point, the only great thing about fleet service 4R70W vehicles was that the shatbox could be cheaply replaced when it took a dump.

When I bought my 93 Mark VIII (first car the 4R ever came in) the 4R was a pile, and it pretty much stayed that way for the next 5 years, and the next 2 4R equipped vehicles that I owned. It came from the bad old days when Ford came to the conclusion that to make a smooth transmission, you just make the clutches slip as much as possible between gears. Lucky for Ford, I liked LM8's enough to get past the tranny.

If any early 4R70W's did do well in fleet service, it's probably only because it was a standard procedure at many motor pools to automatically replace the torque converter with a better unit and install a shift kit on first scheduled or necessary transmission service, such as Jerry Wroblewski's "Jerry Mod" designed to deal with the excessive slippage between gears. Jerry Wroblewski happens to be one of the engineers behind the AODE/4R70W. nobody would know better than him what's wrong with that thing.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

There are a two incorrect assumptions you made here:

1. That I was referring to the 4R70W

2. That I was referring to torque converter shudder

Although there are more Ford transmissions that come to mind as well, the one I had on my mind was the AX4S, which even new, had transmission shudder issues with the internal clutches unrelated to torque converter lockup. That definitely will send a transmission straight to the Lake of Fire. Mercon V is simply a semi-synthetic fluid designed to deal with all clutch overheating (the cause of clutch shudder) issues across its transmission range.

Indeed, the 4R70W's issue was in its converter, but for the Windstar A4XS, the problem was pretty much everything. Ford knew they had to upgrade that transmission's components before using it to lug around a lardass like the Windstar.

Where the 4R70W is concerned, revise your statement about the 4R70W to include only those which have had their roller clutches replaced with the mechanical diode. Up until that point, the only great thing about fleet service 4R70W vehicles was that the shatbox could be cheaply replaced when it took a dump.

When I bought my 93 Mark VIII (first car the 4R ever came in) the 4R was a pile, and it pretty much stayed that way for the next 5 years, and the next 2 4R equipped vehicles that I owned. It came from the bad old days when Ford came to the conclusion that to make a smooth transmission, you just make the clutches slip as much as possible between gears. Lucky for Ford, I liked LM8's enough to get past the tranny.

If any early 4R70W's did do well in fleet service, it's probably only because it was a standard procedure at many motor pools to automatically replace the torque converter with a better unit and install a shift kit on first scheduled or necessary transmission service, such as Jerry Wroblewski's "Jerry Mod" designed to deal with the excessive slippage between gears. Jerry Wroblewski happens to be one of the engineers behind the AODE/4R70W. nobody would know better than him what's wrong with that thing.

What I find amazing is that you can condemn an entire brand's powertrain engineering based on what is essentially one transmission here: the AX4S.

You've been tossing around statements on this board that Ford can't engineer transmissions, Ford overloads transmissions....etc but they all appear to be based on one freakin' transmission model here. Did one fail and cause you to lose a loved one on the way to the hospital or something?

- GM has made some pretty poor transmissions in the past.
- Ford has made some pretty poor transmissions in the past. This would be one of them.
- Honda has made some pretty poor transmissions in the past. My MIL owns one in an Odyssey.
- Chrysler has made some pretty poor transmissions in the past.

But they've all made some pretty bloody good ones too. And aside from the converter shudder, the 4R70W, AOD, and AOD-E were generally pretty good transmissions (I have one with coming up on 400K on it).

Regarding Jerry, yes, the J-mod is a popular upgrade for the 4R70W, making the shifts faster and firmer. And Ford SHOULD have upgraded the slushbox for Mark VIII use in this manner from the get-go. I can agree with you there. But a quick look to guys like Lentech will show that the issues in this application weren't because the transmission was junk or poorly designed. There were things that should have been upgraded/beefed-up that weren't initially. These items were fixed later.

Your criticisms of Ford here apply to any auto manufacturer, so if you have a VALID reason for singling out Ford, I'd be interested to hear it.

The 4R70W really sucks, that must be why we have an internally stock 4R70W here (all stock Ford hard parts, frictions/steels) spinning near 9000 rpm reliably.

What a poorly designed transmission.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
The 4R70W really sucks, that must be why we have an internally stock 4R70W here (all stock Ford hard parts, frictions/steels) spinning near 9000 rpm reliably.

What a poorly designed transmission.

Here's someone who didn't read close enough, or perhaps went to the reply button too quickly to see this part:

Quote:
include only those which have had their roller clutches replaced with the mechanical diode. Up until that point, the only great thing about fleet service 4R70W vehicles was that the shatbox could be cheaply replaced when it took a dump.

My 1998 M8 LSC had a great 4R70W in it. No complaints. But again, there was that revision, and a couple of others that went into the 1998.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back