05 Nissan Maxima transmission fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a used 05 Nissan Maxima from a dealer a few years ago. The car now has 80K on it and I noticed the transmission fluid is looking dirty and should be changed. The information on the dipstick and owners manual says to use Nissan Matic -K fluid only. Other brands of fluid will harm the transmission. The Maxima was a lease vehicle and I found the maintenance service record booklet stuffed in the owners manual. All of the service work was done at Jiffy Lube, Sears and Firestone. I found it interesting that at 36K miles Jiffy Lube replaced the Nissan transmission fluid with Valvoline transmission fluid. My question is should I go back to Nissan Matic -K fluid or continue to use aftermarket products. Overall the transmission appears to shift ok. Recently the only thing I have noticed when the transmission is cold 1-2 and 2-3 are jerky. I did not notice any shifting problems the first few years. The fluid has about 44K miles on it and is dirty.

Most transmissions shift jerky when cold.

I would switch back to Matic-K, but only after making sure that Valvoline stuff is completely gone...don't know how well they mix.

You will be fine using aftermarket ATF as long as it says it's Nissan Matic K compatible on the back. My car uses Nissan Matic D and many years ago, the only fluid I could find that specifically stated Matic D compatible was from Nissan @ $7 a quart.

Luckily these days, both the Castrol Import ATF and Valvoline MaxLife are Matic D and Matic K compatible. The good news. Valovline MaxLife is excellent and can be found in 4 QT jugs for $16 where I am.

You may want to do the flush through the transmission cooler line. You'll need more than 11 QT. Check the maxima.org forums for details if necessary. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back