MMO burn off quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Background- 1999 Corolla, 149xxx miles, about 2,000 miles into current oil change (done around Jan 1), with Valvoline 5W30 conventional oil and a Purolator classic filter. Mostly around town driving- with one 120 mile highway roundtrip in March. Oil level was about 1/2 quart down since the last fill. We've had the car about 3 years with unknown history, but I don't really remember exactly the recent oil change history either. (since finding this message board I vowed to keep better track of these things).
About a week ago I added a pint of MMO for cleaning, intending to change out to new oil within the next 1,000 miles. After less than a week and only maybe 100-150 miles with MMO, I rechecked the level and it's back down 1/2 quart to where it was before. So it all evaporated/burned off so soon? Where did it all go? Car is driving fine as far as I can tell- Should I keep to the plan of changing out in a few more weeks as planned?

MMO doesn't burn off, you thinned your oil to the point its slipping into the combustion chamber somehow. Valve seals or rings. Now that your paying attention to the car your finding things out about it. One of which is it burns oil. Common for cars that have been neglected for extended periods.

Also, MMO as a cleaner is not that effective. You get what you pay for. A good High Mileage oil is probably a good idea. Just run that, has cleaners built in. If you want a suggestion for a more potent cleaner that would be Kreen from Kano Labs.

I wouldn't mess with additives in your engine. I love MMO for a piston soak or gas additve but not in the crankcase itself. Motor oil itself has all the cleaners it needs. No need to mess with a good thing

MMO is a good cleaner for long term use. And some of it does burn off. My last oil change was slightly overfilled with one quart MMO and in about 2000 miles it went down a half quart. It has lost no more since.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Most of MMO is solvents and alcohol, so of course it evaporates quickly. Totally normal.

Nope, mostly Pale oil

I follow a very simple rule when using MMO or Kreen to clean an engine. Check the oil more often than usual. In some cars MMO burns off, in others it doesn't. That's what I've learned since I started using it in the 1970's.

I recall that after using such an additive a couple years ago (I believe it may have been Rislone or MMO, which have similar chemistries), I too noticed that the oil level dropped back down within a few days. At the time I attributed it to evaporation, as you have with your ride. It seems logical that various petro-solvent additives may get "burned out" from motor oil relatively quickly, and perhaps a similar phenomenon occurs with the "pale oils" as well. Consider it as having done whatever it was gonna do by this point, and change your oil as planned (although 3K intervals seem short in my book). I wouldn't add more MMO, in case that thought popped up. I usually add such products several hundred miles before an oil change so any sludge/varnish/carbon it breaks loose doesn’t stay in the oil or filter for thousands of miles. And MMO does work -- I recall a very stubborn, long-term lifter tick in my mom's 1970 Mercury back in the early 80s, with a mechanic recommending MMO. After first thinking “Snake oil?” my dad poured a bottle in the sump. The stuck lifter tick was permanently gone within a few days.

My plan was to change it out about the 6 month inverval which would be close to 3,000 miles- I'll be watching the level and if it drops again to the add line then I may change out earlier.

do yourself a favor, and STAY AWAY from the Kreen suggestions. You do not know what you may partially dissolve inside the motor which may clog the oil pump pick up. Do as little cleaning as possible if you do not know the maintenance history

This is normal.....I encountered this with my 88 Dodge Aries.....my theory is that the MMO mixes with the motor oil, slightly raising the flash point, and it seeps past the rings. MMO is doing it's job. But no, I would not advise adding "more" MMO to the crankcase.....at least, not until your NEXT oil change.....

In fact, next oil change, add the pint of MMO with your new motor oil, and run THAT batch for 3000 miles......and check back.....monitor the oil level as normal (I typically check it every time I go to get gas...though I check the level AFTER I finish pumping...to give the oil time to drain from the head to the pan) And so to not generate static electricity/sparks lol...which I suppose could happen....

If it were me I would add another pint of MMO and some oil bringing it to the full mark then keep eye on the oil level and add more oil if necessary to reach the 1000 mile oil change you mentioned.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
If it were me I would add another pint of MMO and some oil bringing it to the full mark then keep eye on the oil level and add more oil if necessary to reach the 1000 mile oil change you mentioned.

+1 Keep in mind in the hotter weather MMO will flash off a bit faster which is why when I use it in the oil I do it during the winter. It aids with cold starts and flashes off a bit less. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back