Which oil additive now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
High guys/gals. New here and heard this is the place to answer my oil questions. I have many but I'll start with the easiest.

I used to use small amounts of Valvoline Syn Power Oil Treatment with my oil changes. Seems this stuff has been discontinued. So has CD-2 Street Legal High Performance oil Boost.

What are you recommending now as a suitable replacement? Anyone found similar additives that were tested with a New Oil Annalist and similar results? Alot of snake oils out there so I'm skeptical of most anything. Thanks

welcome!
Why use additives? Use a good oil and that will be the best thing period! Unless you have a motor problem that requires something extra dont use nothing else. Oil companies spend millions on formulas and they really know best.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
welcome!
Why use additives? Use a good oil and that will be the best thing period! Unless you have a motor problem that requires something extra dont use nothing else. Oil companies spend millions on formulas and they really know best.

+1

Probably should have tried the Oil Additives sub forum
wink.gif
The guys on this forum are gonna say to stick to good ole oil.....

NOW, it depends on what you're trying to obtain.....

Dirty engine? There's a multitude of options.....Seafoam, MMO, Kreen, or Berryman's B-12 Chemtool (though the manufacturer no longer supports it's use.....i think it's because people were pouring the whole bottle of acetone/xylene/IPA/etc....into their engines....ahaha....when you only really need 3-4 oz....)

Leaky Engine? Not an area I'm that familiar with....though have heard great remarks of Castrol GTX High Mileage formula (supposidely it's on the thicker side....) and Valvoline MaxLife is the king pin.....

I'm willing to bet the Valvoline product you speak of, is/was similar to that of the "STP Oil treatment" in the blue bottle
wink.gif
Was it think like honey? :p

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
welcome!

+1....totally agree

All major brand oils are more than adequate for most engines needs. In fact, you might actually mess up the good oil your using... by adding additives.

What are you trying to achieve...with an additive?

Originally Posted By: stickshift
I used to use small amounts of Valvoline Syn Power Oil Treatment with my oil changes.

Why? What problems did it solve for you?

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

Always the first question you should ask yourself.

A modern SN certified oil has LOTS of additives in them. A very careful balance for the maximum possible engine performance, as verified through exhaustive testing. More of many of the additives might increase engine wear, deposits, effect oil acidity, high temperature breakdown, cause foaming of the oil, etc.

Now, if you have a perfect cake mix..... do you automatically assume that adding another dozen eggs, or another cup of flower, maybe a cup of water would make it better?

MOST oil additives make your oil worse. The highly advertised Prolong and Motor Up contained clorinated differential antiwear additives that were very corrosive in engines. Our automakers, the SAE and others moved to take these very damaging products off the market. Show me one additive that has been subjected to the entire API test sequence and published their results.......I think the answer is none.

If I am successfully getting cars to 300,000 miles with engines that still seem like new while using API certified oils, why would I consider corrupting my engine oil with an unknown ingredient??

Don't need additives
Trust me I learned the hard way. Good oil is all you need. Best oil I've ever used in my personal experience and by best I mean overall value. I really like the new qs Def and for synthetic I like super tech they're both great values. Snake oil is never a good value.

Originally Posted By: TurboJim
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

Always the first question you should ask yourself.

That is correct and the reason I use an additive (previously ZX1 now Archoil AR9100) is because my vehicle (a Toyota diesel) is not used everyday or even every week so to my mind is outside the manufacturers range of normal usage ie oil requirements.
By using an additive, right or wrong I feel as though I`m giving extra protection on starting after standing unused for long periods.
It is confirmed by the `soft` and quiet cold start of the engine.

Last edited:
Everybody (the uninformed)thinks that they know best for their engine...their driving habits,and believe that additives are needed,and will help their engine survive longer than without.Its the common mythology that snake oil manufacturers have pushed for decades.Its how they make the sale.If they admitted it did no good at all,or even hurt things,you think it would sell? We have all seen them come and go,Like any fad,they make their money and then people finally wise up.

High guys/gals. New here and heard this is the place to answer my oil questions. I have many but I'll start with the easiest.

I used to use small amounts of Valvoline Syn Power Oil Treatment with my oil changes. Seems this stuff has been discontinued. So has CD-2 Street Legal High Performance oil Boost.

What are you recommending now as a suitable replacement? Anyone found similar additives that were tested with a New Oil Annalist and similar results? Alot of snake oils out there so I'm skeptical of most anything. Thanks

Leave the additives on the Walmart shelf. If you want your oil to perform better, buy top shelf oils, like Redline, Amsoil, PP/PU, M1.

Originally Posted By: ahoier

I'm willing to bet the Valvoline product you speak of, is/was similar to that of the "STP Oil treatment" in the blue bottle
wink.gif

Yeah if he's speaking of VSOT, it was pretty well thought of around here for a while. It was super thick but the main reason people liked it was bc it had loads of moly in it. There's gotta be a VOA on here for it.

modern SN certified oil has less additives if you are needing more additives you can use oil like royal purple HPS or redline
and so on they have all you would need

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Originally Posted By: ahoier

wink.gif

Yeah if he's speaking of VSOT, it was pretty well thought of around here for a while. It was super thick but the main reason people liked it was bc it had loads of moly in it. There's gotta be a VOA on here for it.

Exactly Brian,,,,this stuff when I mixed it (1oz per quart of oil) gave me excellent returns on my UOA samples. It had loads of molly, as well as anti wear zinc/phosphorous. It basically changed an SM rated oil to an SL oil in a sense. It was working excellent in my older flat tappet engines so I started using it (same mixture) in all the cars with excellent UOA's (better than the UOA's with oil alone).

Now I see it's no longer made (guess the EPA put a hammer on that) Hence the question, what is out there now that may accomplish the same thing? I figured all you smart fellas have done some UOA's and found something similar. I'm not the only one that was using this stuff, it was very well known a few years ago.

I have a small car collection that have specific oil needs so I tend to experiment and I'm constantly changing. What works in one car won't work in some of the others. So to ask me what I'm trying to accomplish is a really loaded question as it depends on the car in question.

Yeah it was being phased out when I was stocking on it in the 2006-7 timeframe. I've still got a few bottles as well as tons of SLOB and arx so I haven't even thought of shopping for more additives, lol. There's bound to be something though.

Exactly Brian,,,,this stuff when I mixed it (1oz per quart of oil) gave me excellent returns on my UOA samples. It had loads of molly, as well as anti wear zinc/phosphorous. It basically changed an SM rated oil to an SL oil in a sense. It was working excellent in my older flat tappet engines so I started using it (same mixture) in all the cars with excellent UOA's (better than the UOA's with oil alone).

Now I see it's no longer made (guess the EPA put a hammer on that) Hence the question, what is out there now that may accomplish the same thing? I figured all you smart fellas have done some UOA's and found something similar. I'm not the only one that was using this stuff, it was very well known a few years ago.

PM sent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back