Exhaust System Creaking and Squeaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
My RX300 has developed an exhaust system creaking and squeaking sound. You can easily hear it when I put it in drive or when I slow down for a tollbooth and speed up again. Looking underneath, I can see the exhaust system shifting and the front rubber figure-8 exhaust hanger stretching while it is making the sounds (when I put it in gear). I had never looked at it before so I do not know if the amount of shifting is a normal amount. To reduce to squeaking sound, I thought that I would try putting some type of high-temp lube on the hangers. (I’m thinking that WD-40 wouldn’t last long with all the heat.) Looking around my garage last night, other than the grease in my grease gun, the only grease I had was caliper grease (which I think is too sticky).

Has anyone had these problems before? What would you do or try? I can’t seem to hear the exact point of the creaking or I’d try to tackle that too. I’d like to think that the creaking would not turn into some type of breakage. I haven’t tried to find a truly good muffler shops around here yet. I have the national chain types but none that I trust.

You may have a bad mount on the engine/trans. This is basically a FWD platform, and bad mounts can easily cause this issue.

Eliminate the mount first, then check the exhaust.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
You may have a bad mount on the engine/trans. This is basically a FWD platform, and bad mounts can easily cause this issue.

Eliminate the mount first, then check the exhaust.

+1 If it isnt a mount I would determine where on the exhaust it is and simply replace the rubber bushing. They aren't that expensive. You can also lube where it connects with a good red grease and that will help keep it softer longer. Pretty easy job depending on where the rubber is.

I agree with both of you guys. I would replace the hangers as well. Alot of lubes are not safe for rubber and could have negative effects. (deterioration)

My CR-V had this issue as well, and there was a TSB from Honda about it. The fix is replacing the donut gasket at the front of the catalytic converter, and removing the converter from the car and polishing that flange where the donut gasket sits. The creaking noise was the donut gasket sticking and sliding inside the "balled" converter flange as stuff moved.

You could hear it best in park, and rocking the vehicle back and forth against the parking pawl, forcing the engine to rock back and forth.

I don't think that actual hangers are producing the sound.
The creak is metal. Maybe a flex pipe or joint? Heat shielding?
Loose connection?

Thanks Folks for the ideas! May have more than one thing going on at the same time. I have both metal creaking and rubber squeaking sounds. Sometimes at the same time (like when I put it in gear). After a long drive, the creaking is more noticable and constant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back