Which oil is best for my Infiniti G35

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. 2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe, 39k miles
2. 5w-30
API Certification Mark*2, *3
API grade SG/SH, Energy Conserving I & II or API grade SJ or SL, Energy Conserving*2, *3
ILSAC grade GF-I, GF-II & GF-III*2, *3
3. Western WA
4. Easy, low rpm, speed limit speeds.
5. Short city trips, with seldom highway, clear driving.
6. No known problems.

On VG forums (G35,350Z),40 weight oils seem to be the best,uoa-wise and performance-wise.

Last edited:
My friend operates a mobile Infiniti repair business, and he puts in Mobil 1 5w30 or Amsoil SS 5w30 on most G35/G37 he services.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
They seem to shred motor oil, so T6 5w40 synthetic at 5k miles.

Not necessarily. We have two VQ35 cars (G35 with the VQ35DE and EX35 with the VQ35HR) and both turn up UOAs that show the oil doing just fine at 5k.

I would run whichever off-the-shelf synthetic 5w30 is on sale. W have been putting PP 5w30 in ours for years, with some M1 5w30 periodically.

GC 0w30 or Rotella T6 5w40 . Actually M1 0w40 would be a great candidate as well. Both M1 and Castrol are on sale at AAP and AZ.

I suspect that they seem to shred oil due to the way many people who own G35/G37/350Z/370Z, etc. drive their cars. Nissan has variants of this engine in many of their cars, and most of them are fine and not shearing to water. Same reason G/Z owners (particularly MT cars) have oil consumption issues, but M35's and Muranos rarely do. My Wife's Maxima SE (auto) had perfect UOA's w/ M1 10w30 @ 7K OCI's, my similar Maxima SE (manual) used to shred M1 10w30 to 20wt in less than 5K miles.

I am one of those guys who spends a lot of time near redline and I typically go longer than the Nissan recommended 3,750 OCI for the G and Z cars.

I have used M1 0w40 almost exclusively since my G was new. I do know that with 135K hard miles, it still runs well and my occasional UOA's still look the same as they did at 30K. My OCI floats between 4K and 7K depending on amount of trailer towing, track days, highway trips, or sometimes - highway trips towing a trailer through the mountains.

If I were running a conventional oil in my usage case, I would stick to the 3,750 mile OCI.

My only complaint about the M1, and it seems to be not just the 0w40, is that my engines make more mechanical noise than with other oils. I wish I knew why, but it doesn't bother me...much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back