SO is lucas oil stabilizer just a joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using this in my cherokee for well over 10yrs and I never really had any complaints about anything bad happening.

Other than the other topic that is on the list of topics. I wanted to get down the the nit'n'gritty on why the lucas is bad for adding to the oil?

I have been using the lucas with 5qts of Valvoline MaxLife 10w30.

Should I just stick with the HM oil without the Lucas for the rest of my jeep's days???

thanks

I'd stay away from it. It's really just an expensive thickener, and thicker isn't always better. Its not worth the price they want for it. You're better off sticking to pure engine oil, in your case MaxLife. Don't dilute it with an almost additive free lube.

At the next oil change I will just stick with using the HM oil... No lucas then.

I should not be able to tell a difference in start-ups and how the jeep idles then, huh?

Originally Posted By: southernjeeper
At the next oil change I will just stick with using the HM oil... No lucas then.

I should not be able to tell a difference in start-ups and how the jeep idles then, huh?

No

If anything you'll notice a difference in the winter it'll start better. Old jeeps weren't to picky though. I won't touch anything that says Lucas they are all overpriced scams. I know people that swear by it but not me. Or any other nonsense like slick50 or duralube or restore no sense for any of it .

I wouldn't bother with the lucas. I know a lot of people on the site will attest that those old 4.0 love Shell Rotella. I say switch over and enjoy the Jeep as long as you can

Quote:
Viscosity @100C cSt = 110.0

Is this right? It's about ten times thicker than xW-30 at 100C. It must have tons of VII in it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunfire
Quote:

Is this right? It's about ten times thicker than xW-30 at 100C. It must have tons of VII in it.

Yes that is correct. I nicknamed it "Glue-cuz" at work. There is always a random person that has it/wants it put in.

so it is a gimmick?

If so, they did a mighty fine job marketing the stuff.

Hmmm, I just have always wanted to know why it was so disliked.
thanks again

edited...

found my answer here. I guess it was MIND over matter with thinking that it would actually work.

It does help keep oil pressure up which I thought was always a good thing though.

Here's what I found --

http://www.ultimatesyntheticoil.com/oil_additives/facts_about_aftermarket_oil_additives.htm

Now I know better.

Last edited:
so it is a gimmick?

If someone wanted make the oil more viscous without having to do an OC. But they are better off using a thicker grade to begin with.

It does help keep oil pressure up which I thought was always a good thing though.

Probably because the oil is thicker.

Last edited:
so it is a gimmick?

If someone wanted make the oil more viscous without having to do an OC. But they are better off using a thicker grade to begin with.

Probably because the oil is thicker.

yeah, I knew that. I just have ALWAYS added Lucas to the 5qts of oil I use in my cherokee. There was one time that was in the past year that I decided to run Rotella T5 without the lucas, but my jeep just didn't feel like it had the pick up and go when I accelerated. So I switched back to the Valvoline maxlife 10w30 (or 40) along with the Lucas.

I just went with what works. It does and I am fine with it. But what troubles me now is the fact that I read on a link I mentioned earlier that says an additive like Lucas Oil Stabilizer would hinder gas mileage? Is that an entirely true statement?

The thicker the oil is, the more energy lost to friction from pumping it. Of course, if your engine is worn to the point that the piston rings are like the goggles (they do nothing) then you might get better fuel economy using the Lucas stuff.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
The thicker the oil is, the more energy lost to friction from pumping it. Of course, if your engine is worn to the point that the piston rings are like the goggles (they do nothing) then you might get better fuel economy using the Lucas stuff.

The goggles... they do nothing!! lolololol

Selling Lucas products funds the little gear and lever gadgets to amuse yourself while waiting for the parts guy. Is that not reason enough to buy Lucas products? How about as a Mothers Day present for your MIL?

Last edited:
A friend of mine told me he bought a jug of Lucas oil stabilizer to use in the oil. Well, he used it, and his average mpg was 42. I told him to get it out ASAP, and when he changed the oil, without adding the Lucas, he now gets 50+ mpg average. No joke...

Quote:

Yes it is...this UOA has it over 120cSt.

lucas.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back