Question for Saturn owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been to the Saturn forum and seen a picture of the pistons they use. I also understand most of these engines when tore down were very clean internally with exception to the ring package.

Question is why not try the either Berrymans B-12 # 0112 or the Berrymans # 4015 Oil System Cleaner in the crankcase at the end of three drain periods in a row for the price of 2 bucks per application if you know the motor is clean.

Sure they are solvents,ones that flash off very quickly and are to be used and then drained.As a last ditch effort before tear down or polluting the Earth more,,killing your converter through oil burning and plain old cost of oil it seems a good product to try.

That CD-2 detergent additive we see on the shelves is never dicussed as harmfull yet the MSDS on it shows it to be a 20wt rerefined motor oil with Kerosene in it.

I only posted because I have used this B12 Chemtool myself without any problems and if all else has failed it does not seem it would hurt to try it,,might even load up the cylinders through the sparkplug hole overnight to help soak the junk out from the ring reciever grooves the night before you fire it up to add the Berrymans.But this might take several treatments and each one should show an improvement if the rings have not been overheated and taken a "set".

Marvel Mystery oil I do not think will help unless the gas treatment variety is used to soak the cylinders

Thoughts,comments ?

[ November 24, 2002, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

I've got a 97 Saturn SL-1 with 120,000 miles or so. For the first 97,000 miles used Penn 10w-30 on 3,000 mile intervals. The car consumed around 1 qt of oil every 3,000 miles. Consumed not leaked.

Changed to Mobil 1 10w-30 and by the time I got to my second change the consumption was down to 1 qt every 6,000 miles.

At 117,000 miles purged the engine with Neutra then changed to Schaeffer's 7000 15w-40.

Currently running the first rotation of Schaeffer's. At 3,000 on the Schaeffer's I added 4 oz of makeup oil.

I have seen posted before that synlubes will clean a motor slowly overtime. Looks like what you did worked for you
cheers.gif

It has been proved the Nuetra 131 is a Ester when used in a crankcase and Ester clean. The 131 works slowly as well on the tougher stuff it seams but the light carbon is removd rather quickly on some motors I have used it in

I have a friend that has a small block Chevy in a Suburban that switched to a synlube oil,,it did clean rather well or at least better than the Q-State oil he was using
dunno.gif

Thing about the synlubes is if they clean slowly they are protecting the engine while doing so. In the past there has been controversy over if a synlube base has a natural ability to clean,after seeing that truck motor I tend to agree

[ November 24, 2002, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

ok, having used numerous products on the saturn I have a bit of knowledge.

CD-2 does restore some of the car's power(noticibly) by restoring compression. However, CD-2 is by no means permanent. You must use it every oil change to continue to benefit from it.

The marvel's mystery oil soak is very effective in reducing the carbon buildup on piston rings. This is done by putting an ounce of the MMO into each of the cylinders through the spark plug holes and letting it sit for 12(or more) hours. After that time has elapsed, you turn over the engine with rags over the spark plug holes for 5 seconds to try to get excess mmo ouf of the cylinders. This drastically reduces oil consumption(in most cases) but often requires more than one treatment to reap the full benefits.

Synthetic Oils such as Mobil1 are very good at cleaning engines. After using synthetic oils for a couple changes the oil consumption (burning) was decreased significantly. The downside being leaks started popping up on the front main seal.

I have no experience with B-12 and if someone wants to try it I'd love to hear the results.

I'm trying auto-rx right now and hopefully it will fix me up as advertised!

--Matt

oh, and as far as MMO in the crankcase, I didn't notice any difference in functionality or oil consumption used with the recommended ratio.

--Matt

Sorry Dragboat

Forgot to mention that at the end of the Neutra purge I fogged the Saturn with atomized Seafoam.

If I had any neighbors they might have though I was spraying for mesquites.

Seems like my consumption went way up after we switch to Mobil 1. Have done a MMO soak with no results. Also 2 treatments with Auto-RX with no results. The newest additive on this site, Lube Control, is suppose to clean out the rings. And what about the 131? Just keep throwing money and time at this problem. Who has the answers?
spaz.gif

mkosem
If all the MM had not soaked down in that amount of time it just tells me it as either ineffective or too viscous.

I beleive something thinner and a bit harsher on the carbon is needed for a good soak through the spark plug hole on these motors. The B-12 I really believe will eventually soak through/around/behind the rings and out of the cylinder past the rings and into the crankcase.The fire those motors up,pour it in the engine,run as directed on the can and change oil and filter.

I beleive Mobil Drive Clean" Lotsa Calcium " and the 10/30 is 12.2 at 100 C would be a good oil to use during the process which again could take 3 times or so at the end of a oil change interval

Just some thoughts for the guys that have tried the other methods/products from other sites and are still burning oil.

Rings are not very resilent and if they have been overheated by t-stat or water pump problems they might not come back anyway after taking a set but cleaning the ring package well is all one can do besides tear down or just keep pouring oil in these motors

[ November 24, 2002, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

dragboat: if none of the MMO had soaked through at all there would probably not be a problem with stuck rings. The cause for the excess MMO in the cylinder would be that the piston was not as bad as the others. In any event, the only reason this is done is to reduce "the cloud."

--Matt

although I have to admit some people's oil consumption has gotten worse after a mmo soak.

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back