Lowering ATF temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
The factory 4R70 sensor is in the pan. I dont think these temps are that bad. I find that it normally operates around 170-180 with peaks around 200. Highest Ive ever seen was 208, IIRC. Given I dont see ambient above 100 that often his temps seem reasonable.

If you're worried, install an auxiliary ATF cooler. Those are usually relatively inexpensive and easy to install.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
A real synthetic (PAO) will usually run about 10C cooler than a mineral in the same operating conditions.

That's near 20 degrees! Good to know and to hear it from a very informed source. Whats the mechanism? Simple friction reduction? I didn't think ATs had all that much mechanical friction, as a drive axle does for example. That's where I have seen big drops in oil temps from PAOs.

Where do Gp III stack up against PAOs in this area?

It may be an error to be so general when describing slushboxes.

The designs vary greatly, and some use plain bearings where others have ball and roller bearings. I feel certain this affects fluid temps in operation.

And we didn't even start talking about converters yet!

The few ford I've driven with automatic transmissions won't lock the torque converter until the transmission comes up to temperature.

On my Taurus, I had a medium duty truck transmission cooler ... when it was the middle of February and below 20F out, the torque converter would never lock up.

That did miracles for my gas mileage. I installed the same model transmission cooler on my Jeep.

Can be seen ...
461184_604999106803_202202220_31502212_1132446921_o.jpg

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
A real synthetic (PAO) will usually run about 10C cooler than a mineral in the same operating conditions.

It can go either way. i'd like to see your data for this.
Remember, back to back conditions are very hard to duplicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back