Engine Flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here recommend Engine flush? I have a 2001 Corolla with 96K miles on it already. I switched to Mobil 1 at 18K, and have been using synthetics ever since. I here mix things about using flushes. Being it is a Toyota, and sludge is a problem, I'm wondering if it is necessary?? Thanks

Considering the mileage on your 2001 I would guess that you do a lot of highway miles. This kind of service probably does not qualify as "severe service". Assuming you do oil changes as per your manual it is unlikely (IMHO) that you have any sludge problems with your engine, especially using a quality synthetic like Mobil 1.

As far as I know your engine is not one of the allegedly "sludge prone" ones.

Do you suspect an engine sludging problem or have you actually seen black gooey deposits?

I would not think that you have a sludge problem if you have used synthetics and had a good drain interval.

If you do see signs of sludge, I would use either the Neutra, Auto-RX, or Lube Control (LC).

Check the thread on crankcase cleaners:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=5

[ November 21, 2002, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

I change the oil around 5-7K and they are all highway miles at speeds of 75mph on the average.....

i had some sludge in my dads 300zx...we didnt chantge the oil for like 2 years but we only put about a 1000 miles on it. it usually sat there..when we did the oil change the oil was cruddy and the oil filter had the remains of chunks of greesy oil...i changed the oil and the oil is still clean till today..been in there for about 6 months and we only put about 500 miles on the car...should i flush the engine?? but wont flushing be bad for my seals since its a 1986 v6? could the sludge be gone already?? or is there still some accumulating..? i dont wnat the sludge to prone my engine life, thats a fast car too...

sorrie babie, i neglected you...ill change u in a month hehe.

I agree w/ highmiler. You shouldn't have any sludge w/ that oil/mileage/change interval.

I believe it is only certain Toyota/Lexus V6s that have this sludge problem, not the 4 cylinders.

quote:

Originally posted by Toy4x4:
I agree w/ highmiler. You shouldn't have any sludge w/ that oil/mileage/change interval.

I believe it is only certain Toyota/Lexus V6s that have this sludge problem, not the 4 cylinders.

The Toyota 2.2 liter four model 5SFE (1997 to 2001) and the 3 liter V-6 model 1MZV (1997 to 2002) are the sludgers.

Ken

I am naturally distrustful of most "engine flushes."

I had a '68 Camaro and used one ... 1 week later, the head gasket blew. I have heard of similar stories (blown head gaskets, etc ...) from other users of this stuff ... which is often merely kerosene.

Buyer beware.
freak2.gif

--- Bror Jace

I have examined a number of failed head gaskets and the problem I have seen is acidic coolant corrosion of the metallic portion of the gasket. If people would simply change the coolant at less than 2 year periods, failure of the head gasket would be reduced.

Another problem (more in the past than now), was the interface between the aluminum head and iron blocks. The coefficient of expansion between the two materials was different and caused problems with the gasket.

One of the cures for the older S-10's (of which I am very familiar) was to place an additional copper gasket between the aluminum head and the lower block gasket, which meant better heat dispersion for the aluminum head and the lower steel gasket.

[ November 29, 2002, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back