Ok to use Mobil 1 high mileage 5w-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2008 Lexus ISF with 41,800 miles on it and I don't know the oil history with the car so I put in the Mobil 1 HM 5w-30 oil. Will this cause any problems with the different additives and seal swellers?

Many believe that this is one of Mobil's best oils. The makers of the HM oils claim that their high mileage oils are appropriate for use in any car...old or new. I'm using this oil in my Honda Accord due to a slight rear seal "weep" (previously using PP Platinum/QS Ultimate Durability). I say use it with confidence...it's a great oil!

It seems like, according to marketing literature and used oil reports, HM oils are like the regular version except a bit thicker (but staying within the grade), with stronger additive pack, with more detergency and more anti-wear materials, in addition to seal conditioners. It seems like the assumption is that you've got an HM engine that was not maintained properly in the past, hence a stronger additive pack. I assume it's more than fine to put HM oil into a newer car engine, since it seems like just a regular oil, except with better and more additives.

Last edited:
Your lexus will be fine on that oil.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Zako2
It seems like, according to marketing literature and used oil reports, HM oils are like the regular version except a bit thicker (but staying within the grade), with stronger additive pack, with more detergency and more anti-wear materials, in addition to seal conditioners. It seems like the assumption is that you've got an HM engine that was not maintained properly in the past, hence a stronger additive pack. I assume it's more than fine to put HM oil into a newer car engine, since it seems like just a regular oil, except with better and more additives.

Seal conditioners (which all synthetic oils have) or additives to make the seal swell? I was under the opinion that they included the latter.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Is it API rated? Im using QS REDBOTTLE on a new honda since ilsac nevr got me through break-in. Never ran better or smoother.

API SL and no ILSAC rating. Just like Defy.

-Dennis

Dennis, just the 5w20 grade is SM on my DEFY jug - I guess the heavier grades are SL. No Starbust! Yay! SHhhhhh! Dont tell my Honda dealer ...

Dennis
I was just about to repost - my 5w20 jug does say SL. I must be thinking that there is script that the 10w40 has SM on there somewhere. Like "suitable for use in vehicles that specify API SL, SM, SN "
sorry - Old Codger brain fade
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Zako2

Seal conditioners (which all synthetic oils have) or additives to make the seal swell? I was under the opinion that they included the latter.

In the M1 HM FAQ seal "swellers" are mentioned. In the official Product Data Sheet the word "Seal Conditioner" is used. All brands seem to be intentionally unclear how they do it.

I think seal swellers ARE used. My experience using this oil on the Camry in my sig:

Symptoms:
Bad valve seals, blue smoke at startup, excessive oil consumption. Oil pan, valve cover leaks.

Results:
First M1 HM OC - no difference in oil consumption or leaks. Likely why many people bail. Second OC - WOW, no leaks, oil consumption went down to almost nothing. Took about 10k to see results, and they were dramatic.

decided to go off M1 HM and experimented with straight M1 5w30, even M1 0w20. As before, the first OC was fine, the second OC was awful, the leaking and oil consumption came back even worse.

Went back on the M1 HM again, first OC was bad, second good again. Now I'm staying on it.

So in summary I think there was a delay in effectiveness while the seals "swelled". If it were conditioning alone it should be more permanent, not go away so fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back